Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2001, 10:59 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Associated Press

*edit*

President Bush promised congressional leaders Tuesday he would veto any emergency legislation that exceeds the $40 billion Congress has already provided for anit-terrorism efforts.

The pledge, which the President conveyed to leading lawmakers at a White House meeting, put Bush in the position of opposing Democrats and some Republicans who say more money is needed to finance an escalating war in Afghanistan and to protect the country from bioterrorism, more airline hijackings and other threats.

Citing a worry that federal spending will skyrocket out of control, the White House - with the support of GOP congressional leaders - wants any additional increases to be postponed until next year.

At the Roosevelt Room meeting, White House budget chief Mitchell Daniels told the leaders that though the $40 billion emergency package was approved just days after the September 11 terrorist attack, only about $3 billion has been spent so far.

By January, about $21.7 billion is likely to be committed to spending, Daniels said.

Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Robert Byrd D-W.Va., has proposed an additional $20 billion aimed at securing highways, airports, water systems, and food safety, and buttressing law enforcement and other programs.

House Appropriations Committee Bill Young R-Fla., also called for more money for the FBI, Coast Guard, Border Patrol, and airline security.

The spending dispute has been escalating for weeks, even as the federal budget outlook for the new year has dimmed steadily.

Here's another good thing I think Bush is doing.

With less than 10% of the money available spent or obligated, Congress wants more. I think the items they want them for are worthy, but they should spend the money they have before taking more.

If the money starts running out or even running low, then it becomes another matter, but now it's just politicians trying to throw money at problems to make themselves look good.

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]

Old 11-07-2001, 11:05 AM   #2
Moni

I have to admit being impressed with Bush's actions to maintain control over spending.
I would have been one of the first to assume he'd approve more and take half for himself. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2001, 03:31 PM   #3
Gaelic
Elminster

Thanks for the updatde, Ronn. I had not heard that, but I like it.