Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2002, 01:08 PM   #1
Lewzbel
The Magister

How many Jesters out there? How has your experience been? I just started a game as one. I chose it because a)jester just sounds cool and b)it should be quite challenging. It forces you to pick your teammates carefully and make the most out of your limited abilities.
Lewzbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
Helspanth
Quintesson

A jester's abilities are not by any means limited.
As a bard he is one of the most flexible characters and the confusing effect of his song shouldn't be underestimated!!!

EDIT:spelling mostly....

[ 04-26-2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Helspanth ]
Old 04-26-2002, 03:14 PM   #3
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

the choice isn't to Jester or not to Jester, it's to Bard or not to Bard. Jesters have a good song in that they confuse others, while the other bards help party members. Bards singing in combat, however, remove another possible fighter. which kit you take depends on your style. fighting bards are blades. nifty bards are skalds. crazy bards are jesters. it just depends on your character concept and how often you think the enemies will fail their saving throws.

I'm sure you'll do fine.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:27 PM   #4
SecretMaster
Apophis

I was going to be a jester, but then I took the Skald. I might play a jester soon, they seem very good and no disavantages. Really amazing guys I've heard.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 08:14 PM   #5
Lewzbel
The Magister

At first I was skeptical of the "confuse" bard song since the enemies get a +4 to their save. But then I realized they have to make a roll every round...so they're bound to fail at some point. Throw a greater malison in there, and you could probably wreak some havoc. So far I've had the goblins and mephits in Irenicus' dungeon going a little crazy. Now let's see what kind of devious little familiar I can conjure up to aid in my pranks.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:18 PM   #6
Helspanth
Quintesson

Are you going solo or with a normal party?
Old 04-26-2002, 08:54 PM   #7
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

yeah i like the scalds they are pretty good, ive never tried a jester though
Old 04-27-2002, 12:27 AM   #8
Lewzbel
The Magister

I'm going with a party, Helspanth. Trying to keep it as small as I can though. I don't have the skills to solo with a bard, that's for sure.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:27 AM   #9
Lewzbel
The Magister

I'm going with a party, Helspanth. Trying to keep it as small as I can though. I don't have the skills to solo with a bard, that's for sure.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:53 AM   #10
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

i´m sure you have. jesters are a very good guild to solo with as well: good enough at fighting to save your spells for when you really need them, excellent tank mages (because of their high casting level), they can get stoneskin 24/7 quite early on, you can turn invisible and sing at gropus of npcs until they kill one another in the beginning to get some nice gear (you could do the den of the 7 veils inn for the cloak of non-detectiong, then immediately proceed to the guarded compound, turn invisible and sing at them until someone kills koshi). once you have a girlde of giant strength, celestial fury and belm or kundane (don´t care that you can only put 1 star in two weapon style; 3 attacks compared to 1 makes the loss of thaco seem rather insignificant in comparison), you will be a force to be reckoned with even in melee.
think about why the kensai/mage is considered one of the most powerful combinations available... well, you barely notice the difference between kensai/mages and bards in gameplay.

also, soloing is really a lot easier than many people expect - i played through the game on insane difficulty with a wizard never casting a single spell from memory - apart from the very beginning (which was very frustrating), it was nowhere near as hard as i had first thought. in fact, it was the most enjoyable game of bg2 i had because i had to think differently.
keeping a character that weak alive in a party game is just a chore... so if you want a character you consider to be VERY weak - solo with him and you´ll find even they have a lot of strengths [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-27-2002, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: F. Gottwald ]