Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2004, 08:18 AM   #1
Vampire

The depth, scope and combat is nothing like Civ: Call to Power 1 or 2.

Civ3 only goes upto today with fewer wonders and a terrible combat system!

Its AI does seem better, but if anyone ever played

Civ: Call to Power they will know!

It has a lovely interface with 2 extra eras: genetic and diamond.

With lovely undersea or orbital cities to build and extensive units.

You can't upgrade but combat is done in group units: ranged at back and melee up front.

Civ3 is a huge disappointment
Old 09-10-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Funny, I reckon Civ III's brilliant - best of the lot. I did Play Civ Call To Power and didn't enjoy it much...

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Ditto, I prefer Civ3 too. To me it's much more real compared to Civ:CTP. The race, monuments, the leaders etc in Civ3 makes it fun.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Anyone here played Sid Meiers Alpha Centuri then? It was the spiritual sequel to Civ2, and I reckon it's one of the best turn-based strategy games ever.

[ 09-10-2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 09-10-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Civ III is my favorite for whatever reason. I think it is the look, nice terrain, and the big points of resources and diplomacy is done better than any other game, heroes and armies are a nice addition as well. With resources you often have to secure a certain resource, and build a road to it or you can not build certain units, Iron is important early on, later rubber and oil becomes important. It is hard to describe but for me it just has a better feel to it.

I loved Call to power II but I found the game boring after awhile. I will give it credit however, it has one of the best intro movies ever, the extra ages, wonders, and units are very nice as well and is better than civ III in that respect. Eco-Rangers(at least I think that is what they were called) are the coolest unit ever. Call to power II is no longer listed on Activision's site.

I have Alpha Century but I could never really get into playing it. The worms were kind of cool but I guess they really replace barbarians.

[ 09-10-2004, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:39 PM   #6
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

I've got civ1 and civ3, but not civ2. I heard it wasn't as good. I hadn't heard of Civ: Call to Power or Alpha Century. I've played Colonization, which hasn't been mentioned yet. I like it a lot, despite the fact that it often makes my computer crash, since Windows 95 is too advanced for it. And I lost the CD, so there's no sound or music.

[ 09-10-2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: LS0158 ]
LS0158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 06:12 AM   #7
Jorath Calar
Harper

Colonization is one of my fave all time games.

my highest score is 75%... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:40 AM   #8
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Avatar, if you've ever gotten into the deeper hooks of both games, as I have, you know damn well how utterly unbalanced every element of CTP is. There's not a single group of elements in the game that aren't ridiculously unbalanced, such that exploitation is the key to the game.

The Genetic and Diamond ages both lack any sense of perspective on mankind's future, typical late '80's futurism in a late '90's box.

The unit balance is the most utterly horrible in its class. I'm serious. We're talking two-units-worth-buying bad.

The Lawyer, when you can afford him, is indestructible, and practically all powerful. A lawsuit WILL destroy anything. As I understand it, there was a patch to fix that, but it broke the damn game in two, and rendered the software inoperable on WinMe systems. The Lawyer can in one turn, kill off your best unit, shutdown your capital, and not get hit by anything. There's only one way to pick up a lawyer, and that requires your opponent be so damn stupid as to put him into a stack.

Also of consideration is that all other stealth units and special forces are practically unstoppable. They can't even be taken down directly, most of them. Gather half a dozen spies, some cash, and get them near the enemy capital, and have them all sent on nuke missions. They'll flatten it sooner or later, even if five of them fail.

PW production is ridiculously oversimplified, and it makes linking distant cities impossible, whilst giving you Godlike control over your landscape at a very early point in the game.

You can at the end of the game build a mountain, put the most advanced mine on that mountain, and reap incredible production benefits, and the thing pays for itself in a few turns. You can even throw down mag rails for a gold production bonus (15 I think?)...

Crime doesn't actually do anything, production queues don't work most of the time, the visuals lack the epic sumptuousness of Civ3's Tower of Babel inspired aesthetic, a touch so subtly wonderful as Oliver Stone's script writing for Conan the Barbarian.

Furthermore, practical limitations on various technologies in Civ3, such as not being able to establish an embassy until you have a written language to communicate in, amplify the verisimilitude and suspend disbelief, such restrictions in CTP feel wholly artificial.

However, CTP does get points for the damn funniest units ever: The Eco-Terrorist and that Nano-former, both of which were used by crazed environmentalists to blow up cities and factories to stop pollution. Green Peace at center stage!

Pritchke, Rataxes...

I've played the hell out of both Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire.

My two favorite Turn-Based strategy games of all time, hands down. Far superior to CTP, far more imaginative, and at times, terrifyingly chilling in its vision, the game has a feel that brings me back...It's a wonderful construct of a game, and its downbeat, heavy-handed atmosphere is incredible to behold.

The mind-worms are similar to Barbarians, very much so, but they don't have anything to raid. The best you can do is push back their sources, and keep them at bay. They truly do inspire a terror of sorts, and they keep military spending good and high. As a matter of fact, nearly all movement in the game is military, as only heavily armed units can actually withstand the beasts. That they get artillery support in the expansion only adds more interesting trouble.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:30 AM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
Anyone here played Sid Meiers Alpha Centuri then? It was the spiritual sequel to Civ2, and I reckon it's one of the best turn-based strategy games ever.
I just love that game.

It's a mix of strategy and role playing. The story is great, and your leaders have a better personality than others Civ 3 leaders. I've the free donloadable stories and I'm trying to buy the novels, but my cookstore never has the first one in stock, only the last two ones...

I also like that you can make your own units.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:39 PM   #10
Sir Goulum
John Locke

CivIII's an awesome game...I should get it for my PC. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote