Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 03:22 PM   #1
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for advice on my second run-through.

*The grizzled, scarred, and battered elven ranger climbs up on his soapbox*

AHEM
I noticed a few people actually commending me for choosing to play solo, and within the self-imposed restrictions.
What surprised me was how surprised some were that I choose not to use certain weapons, because my CHARACTER wouldn't.
Quick recap: I'm playing a solo elven Archer (Ranger kit). GrandMastery in Longbows, single proficiency in long sword and katanas. In Tolkien's works, elves looked down on weapons besides these; including axes, hammers, maces, or flails. (I'm flubbing on the katanas, but I think elves would veiw them as masterwork swords) I refuse to use anything besides the longbows, long swords, and katanas in the game.
The most common comment was that I should use a blunt weapon for certain enemies (I'm trying not to spoil) I KNOW this, and agree, some weapons are better suited towards certain opponents. The coice I've made is that my character wouldn't use those weapons.
It's about the ROLEPLAYING, folks. I've read a complaint on these boards, that there are too many powerful weapons. I agree. There are limitations to this type of game, so the designers try to keep our interests by throwing HUGE rewards at us. They also do that because of the diversity of characters that will come waltzing through the game. I doubt that the designers ever believed that you would try to fight EVERY enemy, and find EVERY weapon.
We've all heard aout munchkin tactics, building up god-powerful characters and using the best weapons. Can you imagine a warrior wearing 3 swords, a hammer, a mace, a flail, and a ranged-weapon walking into battle? (In Saberhagen's "Books of Swords" there WAS a character who wore three swords for different uses, but that's another story)
ROLEPLAYING means acting out the role the way the character would. Using tactics the character would. Making choices the character would. This is the challenge. These choices will not always be easy, and will not always be easy to play.
Choose a character class to play because you WANT to try being a dwarven bard, or a gnome thief, or a human pladin. NOT because this character can use this weapons to fight this enemy.
ROLEPLAYING can be the best thing that happens to you, in terms of gaming, if you let it.
Try it. You may enjoy what you find out.

*The old ranger limps off the soapbox, favoring a fresh wound on his leg and grumbling to himself*

Thanks for letting me rant.

------------------
The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
Old 04-10-2001, 03:29 PM   #2
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well spoken. I must said that as a Paladin, I did try to roleplay as much as I could. I wish you well on your adventure, my friend.

BK
Old 04-10-2001, 03:29 PM   #3
Epona
Zartan

Blimey, sorry I spoke - I didn't realise that my having a different opinion about how to roleplay a character would upset you so much. I'm also sorry I can't quote Tolkein back at you, but I don't play BGII as if it were Lord of the Rings. They are two different things.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.
Old 04-10-2001, 03:48 PM   #4
boran_blok
Dungeon Master

I really agree with u,
I play 'Kenshin' in Baldurs gate 2. for the ones that not know him (I bet a lot of ppl wont know him) he is a Japanese anime character which is kind of good in sword fighting. my goal is to create a character that resembles him as best as possible.
Therefore I have chosen the kensai kit (wich is a very good fighter kit and anime characters dont wear armour) also I made him high mastery in katana's, proficient with scitmar/ninja-to/... (ever seen a samurai with another sword than a katana or ninja-to ???) and single weapon style (to make the loss of armour up) and gave him the boots of speed (those anime characters move like lightning) so that's my character, I know he has great limits in the usage of weapons (he'll only use katana's and very rarely a ninja-to)

]SoW[ Boran [Belgian Para's]
Old 04-10-2001, 03:48 PM   #5
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Blimey, sorry I spoke - I didn't realise that my having a different opinion about how to roleplay a character would upset you so much. I'm also sorry I can't quote Tolkein back at you, but I don't play BGII as if it were Lord of the Rings. They are two different things.
Epona, don't take offense, please.
I actually appreciated and enjoyed your response. You offered a solution that actually CONSIDERED the role-playing aspects.

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
About enemies which need to be hit with blunt weapons - what I suggest is just carry a simple club as I am sure your ranger would have no qualms about thrusting a bit of dead tree at a foe. You won't be the best club fighter around with no proficiency, but it's better than being stomped on. Also IMHO this solution preserves your role-playing aspect?
I'm just suggesting that some folks try roleplaying the game, instead of looking at it like Diablo II. (which, I did play, just with a different playing style)
It's like chess. Against a human opponent, phsycology is as important as strategy. Against a computer, brute force and strategy will normally win. Both are fun, and well within the game parameters. I'm just suggesting something that I think will offer some insight.

------------------
The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
Old 04-10-2001, 04:02 PM   #6
Charlie
Lord Ao

I roleplay my thief in the multi game I'm in. He'a a rogue, end of story. He drinks as soon as he wakes up, he drinks when he sees a pub and he drinks before going to bed. He likes to eye up and chat up the ladies and he don't obey orders none too good. He thieves at every given opportunity, regardless as to whether the boss has told him to or not and he'll often stagger off from the party in a drunken stupour. I've also invented a set of special "low life" abilities for him.

At level 8 he got the Hiccup ability.
At level 10 he got the Belch ability.
At level 12 he received the Fart ability.

He can often be heard hiccuping and belching after a skinful and at the moment he produces mainly silent farts with the occasional ripper. That should change to the MIGHTY FART with a little more bottom coughing practice. His next abilities are known to me but I'll keep em secret for now.

Yeah roleplaying, nothing quite like it.

------------------
One love, peace.

Da Management !!
Old 04-10-2001, 04:52 PM   #7
Lord Shield

Yep. You can always recommence the thwocking AFTER you've tried the avoidance/talking if you really want to

Old 04-10-2001, 05:04 PM   #8
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

RudeDawg,

I agree with you to an extent. I think that you can have a lot more fun by trying to roleplay your character and go solo then by making a god out of your PC. I also think that everyone should be able to play the way they want to. Many people on this board are more concerned with staying alive in the game and winning difficult fights, then getting through with one person who only uses certain weapons. It's not "about the roleplaying..." to everybody. It is about a computer game.

I didn't see the post to congratulate you on your decision to go solo earlier, so I will do so now. I think that is great. You will I am sure, have a great time doing it. I just got through with a solo game. I didn't limit my weapons used beyond what my class already restricts, but I think it is a good idea and I might try that on the next go round.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 04-10-2001, 05:08 PM   #9
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

We speak the same language, RudeDawg. Just because I find a powerful weapon doesn't mean I force a character to use it if it doesn't suit him. I'll take a +1 longsword over a +3 axe that doesn't suit my elven stalker any day.

I've found many powerful items that I'm storing in my keep because they don't suit my character. I don't play to max out my characters. The game is infinitely more fun if you keep everything in context.

Well said...
Old 04-10-2001, 05:30 PM   #10
Tancred
White Dragon

Why not? Why not indeed. After all, Baldur's Gate might be thought of as a kind of Advanced Fantasy Epic simulator... it is indeed good to play it as such.

Tancred

Mind you, I'm a Cavalier. I don't have much choice!