Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2002, 06:45 AM   #1
Sanguinarius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Will someone please tell me what actually happens to my party when I set off a philosphers bane trap? I can't see anything occuring. Does anyone know where there's a list of the effects of all the traps, though I am pretty sure this is the only one I dont understand what it does.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:58 AM   #2
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

It's nasty, it will turn most of your party's gold into lead - your gold total will dramatically go down if you set one off.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:46 AM   #3
Sanguinarius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Damn ^%#&@ etc etc, i've set a few of them off without realising, oh well, I haven't run short of money to buy stuff from shops when I needed to, thanks for that Gimli. BTW, LOTR movie was a dissapointment after reading the books, the media hype made it almost impossible for it to reach expectations. Thanks again for telling me what that trap does. Gimli rawks.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:06 PM   #4
GenXCub
Drow Warrior

for those not in the know... a bit of trivia. During the European renaissance, alchemists tried for centuries to turn lead into gold as they're only 1 proton apart on the periodic table of elements. Supposedly, an Alchemist who possessed an item called the Philosopher's stone could turn lead into gold... hence Philosopher's Bane would do the opposite.

In America, the first Harry Potter movie that came out a few months ago was supposed to be called Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone (there was a lead-into-gold subplot). That was the title as it was released in England, but American marketers thought it sounded too dry and dull, so the title was changed to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:46 PM   #5
elbarono
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What are you talking about? In the book, the stone is called the "Sorcerer's Stone", are you saying the book was changed for US release as well? Why would they change the movie title to be different from the book title only in the UK?
elbarono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 09:45 AM   #6
Silaya
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi !

Hm - I bought the first "Harry Potter" when I was on holiday in scottland... and I can say, that the title of the book was "...and the philosopher's stone" !!! and also in the hole book it was called "philosopher's stone"....
I can't imagine why they changed the title...
And the german title is "...und der Stein der Weisen", what means "...and the stone of the wise"... ;-(

happy Easter

Silaya
Silaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 10:19 AM   #7
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Yes, in UK it was Philosopher as opposed to Sorcerer. I have read there were many other changes in the books to convert British (sorry, the author may be Scottish)into American in the North American releases of her books. Why do we assume the language is that similar?

Flat=apartment
Lift=elevator
Loo=bathroom

etc. x 100

FYI
Old 03-30-2002, 10:41 AM   #8
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Sorry to post again, so soon. There is also a book called "The Philosphers Stone", which I highly recommend. It was by a follower of H.P. Lovecraft. August Derleth or Colin Wilson. It was Colin. It talks about the "old ones", a primeval and chaotic supernatural race before humans arrived, and the mysteries that formed mankind and lurk in the shadows...A good read. Not related directly to RPG games but at least 2 movies have been made from this HPL mythos. It would make a good RPG story! And one was created recently, I forget its name, Cthulu? It was more of an adventure game, I think.

[ 03-30-2002, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Ziggurat ]
Old 03-30-2002, 11:14 AM   #9
Sanguinarius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well I haven't seen the harry potter movie as I don't think it looks any good.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:20 AM   #10
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

(the Harry Potter movie job was a hack in my opinion: good special effects, follows the story pretty close, but not inspired. Still worth watching.)