Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2001, 10:29 PM   #1
Tree
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm just curious....who out there thinks that walkthroughs are bad and only cheaters use them?

I'll admit it. I use them...but let me go a step further and explain my reasoning.

I game extensively. My characters are usually elven/half-elven rangers or fighter-mages. When playing paper and pencil D&D games, I am usually the "mapper" and am always inspecting the countryside. Thus....when playing a CRPG, I like to print out the maps of the land/dungeons, stating that my character tries not to go anywhere without at least a map of the area. Hey, it's not like by knowing what I'm up against I'm ruining the game...I still have to explore every inch and kill all the baddies, right???

------------------
Hey, dragons aren't that tough, I'm a MOM! LOL
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 10:34 PM   #2
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hello Tree! I am a Mom too and a Mammaw, so I agree with you about dragons. Wyvern is kind of a dragon and a Mom too. I never used a walkthrough for WW, just this forum. But I have used walkthroughs before and it does help an awfully lot, doesn't it!? Welcome to this wonderful place.
Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 11:21 PM   #3
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Welcome, Tree! I'm NOT a Mom, or a Pop. I'm just a reg'lar guy with not a lot of exp. playin' so I use them without shame or regrets. However, as you might find out if you get the posting thread on the WW Hint book, or if you get the book, you'll find it's not the most highly regarded text to say the least.

have fun, it's a great game, and THIS is the place to get help if you're in a jam, etc, etc. +Dr.Pick
Dr.Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 11:37 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hello, Tree!

Certainly walkthroughs aren't bad. They've saved many a player from giving up and throwing aside the game (whichever game there is) in disgust. Sometimes it's just because a puzzle that is intuitive to most may just escape another person; sometimes it's because the person playing the game has no sense of direction and really needs help navigating...

whatever the reason, one should not feel ashamed for using a walkthrough. I have a bit of a problem with someone using a "trainer" (that is, a "cheat" program to up someone's stats abnormally), but not walkthroughs. Quite often, I'll have the walkthrough at hand, not to use while gaming, but to check afterward to see what I may have missed. I've also used them to "grade" myself (how well did I do? Did I find everything?)

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 01:26 AM   #5
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

I personally try not to use walkthroughs simply because I enjoy the storylines involved and quite often I find that walkthroughs tell you what's going to happen (it happened to me in this game particularly) but I always get to the point where I have no idea where I'm going and I need help or I am getting clobbered by some obscenely powerful monster (can anyone say "Mantraps?"). After that I start using the walkthrough for everything because I'm not absolutely sure what I'm doing. I DO NOT object to using them, but I try not to do it until after I beat the game, so that I can go back and get all of the secrets I missed.

-Jafin
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:46 AM   #6
Radek
Red Dragon

I always try to use walkthroughs from the scratch. The essence of a CRPG is not "how to get there" but "how to do it", i.e., finding a strategy and tactics for the game. The strategy depends on you and only on you. The walkthrough can give you some hints but it cannot replace you. Moreover, any walkthrough, even an official one, misses something essential from your point of view because your play style is unique and different from the walkthrough authors one. Do not fear walkthroughs. They can help and save your frustration. They cannot "spoil" anything.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 09:04 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Tree!

As someone who used to write a LOT of walkthrus - I'm in favor of them being used! I tend not to use a walkthru when I am playing but I've used a few hint boards (which is how I came to find my way here). Any game you play is yours to play as you like - with walkthrus, without walkthrus, cheat code, etc. the question is: Are you having FUN? If the answer is "yes" - then it's okay!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 09:37 AM   #8
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I use walkthroughs as a safty net to keep me from chucking my pc out the window in frustration. I am what you would call, an INTENSE gamer. Shut the lights off, close the drapes, do NOT disturb sign on the door, and don't come out til the dungeon is done. I try not to play much during the week. ehm. So I use the maps that are given showing what I've explored. But there are times when you just get stuck and need a little push in the right direction. So I come here, post my plea, go over to the walkthrough and check it out (would be great if all the walkthroughs had maps, but some of 'em don't here ...) come back and have 10 posts two minutes later debating the best way to do what needs to be done.

To Sum: they are great, but don't use 'em as a road map for your adventure. You will get so much more out of it if you try it a couple of times on your own. So what if you miss a treasure chest, even if it has the best armor in the game. You miss out on opportunity all the time. When you play it again next time, it will be a happy moment for you when you do find it.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 10:03 AM   #9
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

You know, speaking of walkthroughs and help, hubby Jessman is stuck in a game called Dracula the Last Sanctuary, wish I had a walkthrough for that game. LOL
Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 02:48 PM   #10
Tree
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings all!

First off, thanks for the warm welcome to the board. I have to admit, coming from games like BGII and IWD, I wasn't real sure how much I'd get into this game, but it's shaping up nicely.

I'm still working at getting used to the "first person" style of camera angle, but other than that movement in this game is better. I like holding down the forward arrow and zooming along!! LOL

And thanks for the responses, you are a very nice group!

------------------
Hey, dragons aren't that tough, I'm a MOM! LOL
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote