Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 01:13 AM   #1
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

As an antidote to the power-heavy, serious "Sorcerer vs. Cleric/Mage" thread and the like, it's time for some goofy ridicule. Post your votes on what you think the absolute worst character (class, kit, class combination, etc.) is. Don't assume the user is a moron: Allow for things like good stats, kickass equipment, game knowhow, etc. In a couple of days I will post the correct answer, and tell you all why.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:18 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Erm... for soloing or in a party? It will affect the answer a lot.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:36 AM   #3
wally p
The Magister

well, I was thinking that maybe there was a humorous answer to this, something along the line of Archer dualled to Kensai or something if such a thing were allowed (though, really, that would play pretty much just like a kensai wouldn't it?)
wally p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:04 AM   #4
Userunfriendly
Elminster

AHA!!! (generic, since i can't remember if you can dual ranger/archer) archer dual to cleric...

why???

ok, archers get grandmastery to missile weapons, right??? well, slings are omitted from that little list, so he/she can only gain proficiency in any weapon, locked out of greater whirlwind, no metal armor, spells are great, but no melee ability worth speaking of.

wizslayer dual to mage is pretty bad, but not as bad...no robes, no wands, no rings or amulets. and no armor...that hurts...

course, diviner dual to fighter is pretty bad too...

lots of combinations that can seriously make for a bad day...
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:23 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Userunfriendly:
AHA!!! (generic, since i can't remember if you can dual ranger/archer) archer dual to cleric...

why???

ok, archers get grandmastery to missile weapons, right??? well, slings are omitted from that little list, so he/she can only gain proficiency in any weapon, locked out of greater whirlwind, no metal armor, spells are great, but no melee ability worth speaking of.
Archers cannot dualclass, and I am assuming SixOfSpades is omitting Mods, so no Generic Archer either.

Quote:
wizslayer dual to mage is pretty bad, but not as bad...no robes, no wands, no rings or amulets. and no armor...that hurts...
They can wear robes. It is a quirky class, but it is not weak. Try it out sometime.

Quote:
course, diviner dual to fighter is pretty bad too...
Why? You can replace the Diviner with any GMage or SMage and the question will still be why is it weak?
Old 02-06-2004, 04:29 AM   #6
Userunfriendly
Elminster

i can't remember the opposition schools off the top of my head, but if you chose the correct opposition school, you can lose...

stoneskin...no armor and no stoneskin???!!!
improved haste...well, sure if you're going to solo, you can wait until g whirlwind...
tensor's transformation...urg...that hurts...

the opposition school to alteration...

all three are alteration spells...

was it divination thats opposition school to alteration, or transmutation??? i really forgot... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:42 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Conjuration is opposed to Divination... Edwin is a conjurer, and can't identify things by waving his hands about, or see as well as other mages.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:55 AM   #8
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Easy, it's the Beastmaster. He can't use any metal weapons which rules out nearly 80-90% of them, unless you want to go along with ranged weapons, but you'd be better off with being an Archer. And the only real, well, not really a benefit but all they get is animal summoning that a basic druid can get.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:07 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Userunfriendly:
i can't remember the opposition schools off the top of my head, but if you chose the correct opposition school, you can lose...
The table is in the manual. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Failing that, there is always the Spell Reference Guide.

Quote:
stoneskin...no armor and no stoneskin???!!!
improved haste...well, sure if you're going to solo, you can wait until g whirlwind...
tensor's transformation...urg...that hurts...

the opposition school to alteration...

all three are alteration spells...

was it divination thats opposition school to alteration, or transmutation??? i really forgot... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I can't believe I'm quoting this from memory... ...

Stoneskin is Alteration, so that means Abjurers cannot use it.
Armor is Conjuration, that will be a nono for Diviners.
Improved Haste is Alteration
Tensor's Transformation is Alteration

Now. Let us see what Abjurers can use (and they have been soloed before by the way).

Mirror Image, Illusion. Check.
Mislead, Illusion. Check.
Staff of the Magi. Check.
Spell Immunity, Abjuration. Check.
etc... ...

All the SMages, GMage and WMage have been soloed already. Trying to say a Mage is a weak class is akin to saying that the M1 Tank is a weak tank.

The ONLY successful solo attempts I have not heard about are, and I mean from SoA start to ToB end, the Cleric of Lathander, the Cleric of Talos, the Cleric of Helm, and the Generic Cleric. Notice a trend?

Out of these four, the Cleric of Helm attempts are underway. I wish them the best of luck in breaking the Cleric Curse. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The following is my personal opinion, successful attempts must include the following besides the main plot in order to be credible.

1) Defeat the Twisted Rune and the Guarded Compound.
2) Defeat the entire Watcher's Keep (you may end the last fight peacefully).
3) All the Major Quests must be completed (De'Arnise Keep, Tradesmeet, etc...).
4) Defeat Kangaxx.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Easy, it's the Beastmaster. He can't use any metal weapons which rules out nearly 80-90% of them, unless you want to go along with ranged weapons, but you'd be better off with being an Archer. And the only real, well, not really a benefit but all they get is animal summoning that a basic druid can get.
Ctrl+A To Read ToB Spoiler
000000; font-size:44">STAFF
OF
THE
RAM +6

Besides... there are plenty of good non-metal armour out there.