Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2001, 11:57 AM   #31
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
The Ocean is too addictive NOT to keep swimming in.

As Ladyzekke said, you need to understand the dangers. In Oz we have shark nets way out to sea (that don't cover the whole area btw) We also have shark watcher lifeguards and shark alarms that go off. Mind you the shark alarms go off and the swimmers come in, but the surfers stay out (gotta catch that wave). Then out goes a boat of lifeguards to scare off the shark.

Also it's worth remembering that humans are more dangerous to a shark than the other way round. When was the last time you heard of a group of sharks coming onto land, grabbing humans off the street, cutting off their arms for "human arm soup", and then throwing them back, leaving them to die?

LOL. Good point

Of course, the sharks have been eating the humans too. Hmmm . . . flesh, blood, water -- a type of soup, no? And they do just take an arm or leg, and leave the rest to die. Hmmm . . . maybe not so different after all
Old 09-05-2001, 12:13 PM   #32
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
LOL. Good point

Of course, the sharks have been eating the humans too. Hmmm . . . flesh, blood, water -- a type of soup, no? And they do just take an arm or leg, and leave the rest to die. Hmmm . . . maybe not so different after all
LOL Yuk! Still the emphasis should be on the sharks not coming on land and taking armsunlike the humans who go out to sea, catch sharks take just their fins for shark fin soup and throw them back so they drown.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-05-2001, 01:06 PM   #33
Vampire

Never heard of this problem. Is it a recent escalation?
Old 09-05-2001, 08:38 PM   #34
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
The Ocean is too addictive NOT to keep swimming in.

As Ladyzekke said, you need to understand the dangers. In Oz we have shark nets way out to sea (that don't cover the whole area btw) We also have shark watcher lifeguards and shark alarms that go off. Mind you the shark alarms go off and the swimmers come in, but the surfers stay out (gotta catch that wave). Then out goes a boat of lifeguards to scare off the shark.

Also it's worth remembering that humans are more dangerous to a shark than the other way round. When was the last time you heard of a group of sharks coming onto land, grabbing humans off the street, cutting off their arms for "human arm soup", and then throwing them back, leaving them to die?

Yorick, unfortunately we don't have those types of shark nets and warnings around the east coast here in the U.S. And the ocean water is like, brown, and you can't see through it, not like in the Bahamas where the water is bluish green and clear. So when something brushes your leg underwater, you never know what the hell it is LOL!

I remember last year it twas the same thing, shark attacks happening in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. But dang! When you don't live near an ocean, and only get to visit it once a year, you REALLY want to be in the water! So we went in anyway! The incredible LURE of the ocean is really something to me. I wish I could live on the oceanside, and behold it every day, and feel it's winds, and breathe in it's salty atmosphere on a daily basis. Sigh.

Dunno, last year the tides were so rough. I'm talking white water crests everywhere on the shoreline 100 feet out. Dunno, I guess I thought that sharks wouldn't be in all that roughness when I went in last year, would be swimming round the calmer areas. I have to wonder how calm the seas were when these people were attacked recently this year? May also make a difference. I mean, last year, if I wanted to get past all the cresting waves, I had a long row to hoe man, gettin slammed on my arse and thrown four feet backwards quite a many a time! Was kinda fun actually, hehe. Remember grabbing this raft and trying to get on it when a wave came in next to me a good three feet above my head, crested right on top of my head. Think I spun around underwater head-over-heels in a ball about 7 rotations LOL. Came up on shore coughing water looking like so much seaweed LOL. But I get off the topic here...

Yorick! You say humans are more dangerous to a shark than the other way round! Well, guess it depends eh? I mean, if you are a human in the water, your movements are much slowed, and in comparison to a shark, you are completely vulnerable. I mean, take you and a shark fighting on land, of course, you could punch and kick and run, etc. and ultimately win. But, in the water, your punches and kicks are hugely slowed, and have little impact on a shark. And as for running, well, good luck on that one... Go for the eyes Boo go for the Eyes!!! Yaaaaaaaaahhhh!

------------------