Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
daeomer
Manshoon

I am just starting out, and had a question about increasing attributes. Although you can increase 3 per level, are there any other means for permanently boosting attributes? For example, my willpower seems to only be increasable by 1 point each level, so I never seem to allocate points to it (other attributes get 2x 3x or 4x bonuses). Can I boost it permanently by another means?
Thanks!
daeomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

There exist items with "constant effect" in the game. You can also make custom enchanted items with such enchantment. As long as the item is equipped, the attribute is boosted.

As long as the multiplier is concerned, it depends on the skill increases from the last promotion.
As we know, each skill has its leading attribute. When you promote to next level, all increases of your skills (not only the "important" ones) are checked and summed together by the leading attribute. The multiplier is then determined by the total increase for each attribute.
If you want the highest multiplier (5x) then you must collect at least 10 increases for the given attribute. As far as WIL is concerned, most of magic schools have WIL as a leading attribute. Therefore:
1. Create the cheapest possible spells for each magic school. Create a "one target at range" spells.
2. Once the promotion approaches, go to a safe place and start casting the spells in the air. They will count [img]smile.gif[/img] You can also train in the Mages Guild but it costs money.
3. Once you achieve 10 increases in magic schools with WIL as a leading attribute, you will be ready to promote to next level. You will get "5x" for WIL.

Note! You must do it before you get the message that it's time to rest and gain next level! Gainings after the message do not count! For example, if you have the magic schools among your "important" skills then the increases will count for promoting so that you will need to start with no advancement towards next level.

Note: The above mechanism works starting a certain patch level. The original game was more restrictive in the multipliers. The mechanism above is true for patch 1.02.0722, for example. It will be true for later patches, too.

[ 06-01-2004, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Radek ]
Old 06-01-2004, 10:37 AM   #3
daeomer
Manshoon

Oh no! Thanks for the input! I guess I am a little screwed. Upon review, it appears I made a custom character which actually doesn't have any of the primary or secondary skills having primary attributes of willpower or endurance. Am I in big trouble? Should I start again? Things have been going pretty well so far though so maybe I won't need to...
Old 06-01-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
Oruboris

Your 'misc' skills count just as much towards your attribute bonuses as your major and minors do, they just don't count towards the 10 'bumps' you need to level.

For training endurance, get a spear, go hunting low level critters. Depending on your specific circumstances, you may want a low level spear that will allow you to strike a [say] mud crab 3 or 4 times in order to kill it instead of only once: this makes a huge difference to how quickly you train a skill.

I like the bound spear [in a constant effect item] as a general weapon: its greater range often allows you to strike upper level creatures like winged twilights and greater bonewalkers without taking any damage at all...

For Willpower, have a spellmaker build you a spell from one of the magic schools that are will dependent. The spell should cost only a single manna point to cast. Cast it as often and as much as your pateince allows, stepping into a shrine or temple to 'restore' your magika when needed [much cheaper than the potions]: this is really the only way to train willpower.

OF course, you can also buy training, though spear trainers are hard to find.

I make a chart and track my skill bumps for every level, and don't allow a new character to level without having 3 x5 categories. Its a bit of a pain, but lets you build up a character very quickly.

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
daeomer
Manshoon

Sorry for being a bit slow about this but please confirm if I have this right!

So, let's say I want to increase my willpower and endurance as much as possible on my next level advance. None of my major or minor skills have willpower as a key attribute.

I could go to a couple of trainers and train 10 levels in restoration (for example) and 10 levels in medium armour. Then when I eventually do get to the next level, I will get the option to 5x increase my willpower and 5x increase my endurance?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2004, 12:33 PM   #6
Oruboris

Yep! Cool, Huh?

To put is as simply as possible, ALL skill increases count towards your multiplyers, but only major/minor skills count towards your levels.

I actually train and use the misc skills a LOT to get the x5s: If you don't, you'll get a max of one [out of a possible 3] x5 with each level, since the 10 skill bumps you need for a single x5 will also level you, if the bumps are all in a major or minor skill.

Oru

[ 06-01-2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Oruboris ]
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:58 PM   #7
daeomer
Manshoon

Where might I find a spear trainer, out of curiousity, if I want to increase this skill without killing stuff?
Old 06-01-2004, 01:58 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

you can also increase your skill stats by reading certain book in the game.

for your spear question I already answered it in your other topic.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:30 AM   #9
Radek
Red Dragon

AFAIK, a spear trainer is on the lower floor of the Warriors Guild in Balmora.