Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2002, 01:25 PM   #1
kurtzyload
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK I've played through the game a few times now with different parties, and I think I've come up with the ultimate, and most fun, party. By ultimate I mean they can clean house, and by most fun I mean they can make use of almost all the items in the game. So, here goes:

Mook fighter

Dual wield with light sword and diamond eyes, alternate weapon is the strong bow. I chose mook due to their good senses score, as I like to raise senses and speed evenly for ALL party members for the awesome initiative. This also gives the option of using the giant sword if desired.

Fairy ninja

Dual wield the CoC and winterwand (or rod of sprites, anyone know where you can find that? I suspect it's imported). CoC as everyone knows is just a sick weapon, causing multiple instakills per round later on.

Mook ranger

Dual wield light sword and diamond eyes, alternate weapon is eagle eye bow. Mook again for the high senses, and I like the ranger for auto search and ranged criticals. They certainly aren't bad melee style either.

Hobbit bard

Dual wield light sword and wand of winds, alternate weapon is the strong bow. Either the bard or ninja can focus on locks/traps and pickpocketing.

Hobbit gadgeteer

Dual wield light sword and wand of winds, alternate weapon of course the omnigun. Later on, nothing can touch the asphyxiation gadget.

Fairy bishop

Uses vampire chain with light shield, alternate wrist rocket. Bishops simply rule and I see absolutely no need for another magic caster. Building up all schools of magic is a bit tricky, so you have to exploit the game engine. Make sure you have alchemy and psionics higher than wizardry and divinity. Practice healing as early as the coffin in the monastary using the shift + m trick (thanks to Mage_77 for this), use charm and mindread on npcs to build psionics, and cast knock knock at a low power level at the arnika bank vault door over and over for high earth magic.

Vi

Dual wield the light sword and diamond eyes, alternate strong bow.

RFS

Martial arts (better than the zatoichi IMO), alternate wrist rocket.

Now where to get all these light swords and diamond eyes? Well I plan to do alot of reloading on the bucaneer ghosts (I've gotten 4 light sword from them before with patience), one diamond eyes from mountain wilderness, one from trynnie chief, and supposedly a chest in bayjin can have it. Also each person should eventually have a stamina regen item so they can run everywhere.

I've heard some people say that dual wielding isn't worth it, and that you should use a shield instead. I say, later on in the game you won't be getting hit much anyway, and once you get 100 in dual weapons and a high initiative, you can hit over 12 times per round! I'd even have my bishop dual wielding if it was possible, but she doesn't have the skill.

To anyone having problems out there getting a light sword from those ghosts, here's what you do. Just beat up on one particular ghost until its almost dead (put other members on defend or something), then run and save. Then get around the corner from them, and enter combat before they're visible. Run up to the almost dead one, wack it once, check the bag if any, and reload if necessary. That's the technique I use when getting multiple light swords. If you're looking to get only one it's even easier. Load everyone up with a banishment powder, about 6 should do the trick. Use a few of them until the ghosts are nearly dead, then run and save. Then you just simply run up to them again, use another powder, and theyre all instantly dead.

Whew, turned into a long post. Interested in comments
Old 02-21-2002, 02:40 PM   #2
Merulus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, one problem I see right off is your faerie bishop. Faeries can’t use shields of any kind, not even the light shield. That’s one of the reasons I detest faeries, myself… The equipment restrictions are just far too harsh. If you want to use the light shield, you’ll have to switch to an elf. Otherwise, your faerie should probably train in staves.

I agree with you about dual-wielders, though. My last party had a rogue wielding a light sword and canezou dagger, a ninja with a light sword and nunchaku, and a lord equipped with Fang and a diamond eyes (not to mention a bard-turned-fighter with Excaliber). I ended up quitting that party at the Rapax Castle… It was boring - everything went down too easily.

I like the idea of having the bard and gadgeteer wield wands of wind in their off-hands. That’s something I hadn’t thought of.

I also agree with you that RFS is a lot more effective with his bare hands than he is with the bo. I personally would have given him the bo as a secondary weapon, however, instead of the sling. It looks like you plan on rushing straight into melee most of the time anyway, so why bother with a ranged weapon? That’s just personal preference, though. Not really important.

I probably wouldn’t bother to take Vi along, myself. She won’t go with you to most of the most important places anyway, so why bother? Also, since she’ll spend a lot of time out of your party, her dual-wielding skills will begin to lag behind. The only reason I can think of to bring her along is as a back-up healer – and it doesn’t really seem like you need one. Just a thought.
Merulus is offline   Reply With Quote