Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2001, 02:34 PM   #1
dominions
Elminster

Hi all!
CocoaSpud, here's a small but useful idea...
How about employing the third mouse button to move the 3D point-of-view arrow on the map? It would save having to move it with the cursor keys.

See ya,
dominions

------------------
...Lister sighed like a burst tyre...
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 07:45 PM   #2
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

This is supported through the use of the CTRL key. Hold down the CTRL key and click anywhere on the map to move the arrow there.

------------------
CocoaSpud
Dungeon Craft Development Team
http://uaf.sourceforge.net
CocoaSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 08:07 PM   #3
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

I should add that I'm not against adding support for a third mouse button, I just don't have one and can't test any code added for it.

------------------
CocoaSpud
Old 05-29-2001, 05:07 AM   #4
dominions
Elminster

Sorry, didn't know about the CTRL button - and there's me using the arrow keys to get everywhere! LOL!

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironwork Gaming Forum
Old 05-29-2001, 05:54 AM   #5
dominions
Elminster

While we're about ideas and things, here's a list of ideas and questions I've accumulated whilst constructing my present design...

a) I've noticed that when you put a Door on a wall and then an Overlay, the Overlay disappears behind the Door. Any chance of the Overlay overlaying the Door?

b) Why are there step-events for the first 8 zones only? I'm trying to have wandering monsters appear in Zones 13, 14, and 15. Due to the limitation I've mentioned I can't do this.

c) What is the Show Distant Backdrop rick-box for? I've tried to find it in the help but couldn't.

d) An idea: is there any chance of linking events to a sinlge Do Only Once tickbox? In my design I have a Town with various streets. One part of the town is quite affluent and the party are supposed to notice this. There are two entrances to this area and an event at each to display the appropriate text. Once one location is stepped on, I'd like the other to become inactive so that the party doesn't have to read the text twice. I've tried using a Quest but with little success. Also quests appear on the character sheet - which is VERY annoying.

e) I know that the combat code isn't complete, so you may know abouth this: when entering combat, some of the party has a habit of appearing outside the walls of the room with no way of getting to the fight.

Hope you can help with the above.

Cheers!

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironwork Gaming Forum
Old 06-02-2001, 09:49 AM   #6
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

Overlays: There would need to be a way to toggle the drawing order of overlay and door. I'll take a look at it.

Zones: I added 8 more zones, but forgot to enable them in Step Event dialog. I'll fix that.

Backdrops: Show distant backdrops is for the situation where you have a wall with a window on it. Usually you see the backdrop for the square where you are standing. When you look out the window you want to see the backdrop for what is on the other side. If you turn on Show Distant for the square on both sides of the window, the backdrop on the other side will show through.

Quests: I just spent twenty minutes writing ways to diagnose the quest situation, and then I remembered why you are seeing the quest variables They only show up when you run the engine from the editor, just while testing it. If you start the engine separately, you won't see quests - only special items/keys. You have the right idea with the text event too. Give the party a quest (automatic-no text) and then check for Quest not present before displaying the text event.

Combat: Characters showing up in inaccessible parts of the map is a tricky problem. I use the pathfinding code to make sure that there is some way to reach every monster placed on the map, but I don't think I use it for placing party members. I'll try to improve it.

------------------
CocoaSpud
Old 06-02-2001, 12:18 PM   #7
dominions
Elminster

Hi CocoaSpud

Thanks for answering my questions: the fact that different backdrops that were side-by-side weren't visible except when stepped on, was a great drawback with Unlimited Adventures. This Show Distant Backdrop was very much needed! Brilliant!!

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironworks Gaming Forum

[This message has been edited by dominions (edited 06-02-2001).]
Old 06-03-2001, 09:00 PM   #8
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

I added another flag to the wall slot dialog. It lets you flip the drawing order for overlays and doors.

I also added the additional zones to the step event dialog.

The combat positioning is always 'iffy'. I added some more code to help ensure that party members are placed on the same side of a wall. Hopefully that will keep everyone in the same room. Since the combat maps are dynamically generated from the level map, it can be tough to anticipate all situations.

------------------
CocoaSpud
Old 06-05-2001, 05:14 AM   #9
dominions
Elminster

Just downloading the latest version now (0.694 I think). I'll give it ago.

I've just tried the Show Distant Backdrops and I think I've noticed a bug: When you move from a square that has this enabled to one that doesn't, the 'horizon' shifts vertically.
Also an idea: why not have this, not ON the square, but on the edges (like the square access [blocked, open, etc.])?

Cheers

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironworks Gaming Forum
Old 06-06-2001, 04:18 AM   #10
dominions
Elminster

I've just tried version 0.6941 and noticed that the step events still only go up to zone 8...

...and...

...I've run into another problem . I've been trying to use the Distant Backdrop thus: I have a building with a window next to the corner. I have ticked Distant Backdrop on the square either side of the window, so that people can see in/out and see the appropriate backdrop. But! The backdrop that is seen through the window is viewable not only through it, but also round the corner of the building!

An example:

------------------

[This message has been edited by dominions (edited 06-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by dominions (edited 06-06-2001).]