Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
Haldir
Manshoon

Has anybody watched the new film Sunday Bloody Sunday? Well it is an impressive film, but I would like to know a bit of historic background. Does anybody know what happened?
Old 09-15-2003, 11:01 AM   #2
Rokenn
Galvatron

Well there have been gigbytes of data written about the events of Bloody Sunday. The short version is this:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://larkspirit.com/bloodysunday/
On January 30, 1972, soldiers from the British Army's 1st Parachute Regiment opened fire on unarmed and peaceful civilian demonstrators in the Bogside, Derry, Ireland, near the Rossville flats, killing 13 and wounding a number of others. One wounded man later died from illness attributed to that shooting.
The march, which was called to protest internment, was "illegal" according to British government authorities. Internment without trial was introduced by the British government on August 9, 1971.

The British-government-appointed Widgery Tribunal found soldiers were not guilty of shooting dead the 13 civilians in cold blood.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can google more detailed information, you'll get well over 700,000 hits though [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2003, 10:36 AM   #3
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I haven't seen that film but living in Northern Ireland it's of great interest to me I'll be sure to check it out. I just hope it wasn't biased like that film of a few years ago with Brad Pitt and Harrison Ford were Brad Pitt played someone in the IRA. I forget it's name but it was tosh. I'm not sure about that website though it seems to be made by Republicans who perhaps are slightly biased(It does after all have links to the Sinn Fein website). Your best bet to get a balanced view of Bloody Sunday would perhaps check out some BBC news websites and read stories there. Sorry I don't have any links.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
Haldir
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarr:
I haven't seen that film but living in Northern Ireland it's of great interest to me I'll be sure to check it out. I just hope it wasn't biased like that film of a few years ago with Brad Pitt and Harrison Ford were Brad Pitt played someone in the IRA. I forget it's name but it was tosh. I'm not sure about that website though it seems to be made by Republicans who perhaps are slightly biased(It does after all have links to the Sinn Fein website). Your best bet to get a balanced view of Bloody Sunday would perhaps check out some BBC news websites and read stories there. Sorry I don't have any links.
Well how is in Ireland anyway. I would like to visit this country. People say that you are very happy and communicative , you drink a bit too much (like in Slovenia). Tell me please...
Old 09-25-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah people in Ireland are very talkitive to say the least. However the sterotypes of the drunk Irishmen aren't entirely true. Sure like everywere there's people that drink but it isn't really any different to anywhere else. There's bad sides to living here too like alot of bigots who can't accept people of a different religon are just the same as them despite there slightly different beliefs. It's also very green (they do call it the emerald isle after all) there's some lovely countryside. You should visit if you get the chance.

One more thing I just glanced at that website Rokenn gave the link too and I have to say as I said before it's very much from the Republican view point. Maybe that accounting is true but you'll notice that it doesn't offer any PROOF. No one knows exactly what happened at bloody sunday so that website may be biased. It's not as if any of them were there afterall! Maybe the british soilders acted improperly but until the enquiry is over we won't know(and even then can we say for sure?). In Rokenn's link it says they "opened fire on unarmed and peaceful civilan demonstraters" however the British soldiers insist they were shot at first and there have been many witness who say they heard shots before the soilders opened fire. It doesn't mention that on the website. Who knows what really happened?