Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2003, 03:30 PM   #1
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I have a Q for No-Reload party. It is clear that in this game(or any other for that matter) you need to have your basics coverd. I also have Ease Of Use mod so therefore the NPC`s will not argue. I will be a Sorcerer(what a surprise).

Now i am in a little dilemma about warmachines/tanks.

• PC-Sorcerer

I will need a decent thief. Valen comes to mind becuase she is Multi-Classed F/T. But she is overpowerd.

• Korgan
decent tank-dual wielding FoA+Axe(any,except for Azuredge)

• Solaufein
main tank i spuppose.

Healer will probably be Viconia.

Also Jan comes to mind.

Any suggestions?

[ 07-20-2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 03:35 PM   #2
Minchandre
Dungeon Master

Well, evilness kinda restricts your choices. Haer'Dalis is a decent spellcaster, in my opinion, and bard song is always useful. Maybe Cernd as a tank? And, of course, Jaheira if one of the best tanks in the game, IMO, and doubles as a healer.
Minchandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 03:38 PM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Minchandre:
Well, evilness kinda restricts your choices. Haer'Dalis is a decent spellcaster, in my opinion, and bard song is always useful. Maybe Cernd as a tank? And, of course, Jaheira if one of the best tanks in the game, IMO, and doubles as a healer.
Yes Jaheira is a very good tank. She has Ironskins for tanking.
But she has this weapon restriction. There are a few good clubs out there but if i give her Fulcrum+4 she will rock.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:53 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

So basic picture:

• Solaufein-Main Tank,dual-wielding CFury and something
  • Korgan-Support Tank,dual-wiečding-FoA and Crom

--------------

These are tanks.
  • Jan-Main Thief and a backup Mage

--------------
  • Viconia-healer

So we have:
  • Sola
  • Korgan
  • Jan
  • Viconia
2 Tanks
1.5 Mage and 1.5 Thief
1 Healer
1 Sorcerer

What do you think?
Old 07-20-2003, 05:03 PM   #5
Sir Exxon
Zartan

I think you should toss in Haer'Dalis as well. If not for pure power, for making the party even more interesting.
He can be a warrior, and an absolute decent one; a rogue, if not thief-wise, atleast his bard song is useful; and a part time spellcaster, who can be used to have and memorize the spells your Sorcerer and Jan doesn't have. With three spellcasters, you'll be able to have all the nice spells in the game.
And in addition to all of this, he does spice the party up with his witty comments and somewhat annoying poetry. All in all, a very useful NPC.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:00 PM   #6
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

I would suggest some kind of Ranged person in there. Sometimes, it's just really nice to have someone throwing at a distance. Makes a couple of those really bad battles a piece of cake. (Not to mention Dragons- I couldn't believe how easy a time my Archer with a Racial Enemy of Dragon had against Firkraag)
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:10 AM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

No Reloads = Power, lots of power.
Power (in ToB) = Multiclasses (or late Duals, or extremely powerful single classes, like the Sorcerer).

PC -- Sorcerer
Best Tank -- Depending on your style, it's either Korgan, Solaufein, of the ToB NPC. ToB-boy doesn't have any proficiencies in 1-handed weapons, but if you save Watcher's Keep until you've got him in your party, that can change rather quickly.
Best Priest -- Anomen and/or Jaheira. Aerie is also quite good, but would make this party too Wizard-heavy. Choose Viconia only for her Magic Resistance; apart from her Romance, she has nothing else going for her.
Best Thief -- Obviously Jan. Good thing he's so damn versatile.
Other considerations: Keldorn's Dispel Magic is incredibly useful -- you name the enchantment, it's gone. (Well, except in the case of SI: Abjuration of course, but there's Ruby Ray for that.)

I would suggest a party of
PC Sorcerer
Korgan
Jan
Jaheira (if you prefer Insect Plagues) or Anomen (if you prefer Turn Undead and access to better weapons)
Keldorn
Solaufein

3.5 Tanks, 0.5 Thieves, at least 0.5 Priests, and 2 Wizards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Assassin's Dragon-killing note, I must relate my experiences of taking an All-Warrior party (PC Archer, Keldorn, Korgan, Mazzy, Montaron, and the ToB NPC) against one of the Dragons in ToB. Watching a creature that big take Fifty-Seven Hits per Round for Four Rounds was rather fun.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:04 AM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I think i will go with your idea SoS!
Yes Archer`s are really powerful...and so is ToB NPC...
Thanks!
Old 07-21-2003, 09:21 AM   #9
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Heh. But, SoS, how can any party be too "Mage-heavy"? In one of my experiments, I used Tashia, Solaufein, Kelsey, Aerie, Myself (a Monk), and Anomen. Extremely heavy on the Mage side, yet I managed to pull it off due to the fact that I had three Tanks.

Line-up...

4 Mages, 3 Tanks, 1.5 Clerics

The only thing that I missed is a Thief, but with 4 Mages, you don't need to worry about Traps, or locked stuff. Mirror Image + Stoneskin with Solaufein's extreme Magic Resistance handled any traps, and Knock took care of any locks. Sure, you could use Traps, but I prefer not to. I mean, if you could resist it with Stoneskin/MR I would use them in a heartbeat, but not the way they are, unresistable. And with essentially 4 Mages, you can spam Time Stop after Time Stop after Time Stop after Time Stop. Not to mention that Aerie can TS + Harm to kill off even the most aggravating things.

[ 07-21-2003, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 03:29 AM   #10
Bloodtitan
Dungeon Master

you asked for a tank so i suggest to use korgan with shield. you can build up to ac -20 in SoA, -25 in ToB (with item upgrade mod).