Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2003, 10:53 AM   #61
Grungi
Banned User

THANK YOU barry! *worships barry* you said it better than i could, i given up explaining myself, yep what you said is what i meant, glad you understood [img]tongue.gif[/img]
in fact get out of my head! your mindreading me [img]tongue.gif[/img]

and yep magik, its hard to know [img]tongue.gif[/img] i understood what you said, hence my line immediately after you said it cos i knew it would be misunderstood and get sio angry, but oh well too late [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 11:30 AM   #62
Epona
Zartan

Barry, yes I do see what you're saying.

But I also feel that there is a humungous difference between being 3 inches shorter than average, and being albino. One is noticed by some people, not by others, and rarely results in people staring at you as if you were the prize exhibit in a freakshow. The other does. Hence there is a difference in the way words, even if meant in jest, can affect you.

I was trying to point out the way playground taunting can have an effect rather than joking between friends, and my first post used the example of nicknames in films making it seem to kids OK to use them on others without realising the pain they may be causing to someone who already has difficulties trying to fit in and make friends because they look different.

I think while someone who is short may well be able to joke about it and be OK with being called shortass, there is a distinct difference between that and calling an albino whitey, because being short is more 'socially acceptable' and because although someone may have been teased in the past for being short, in general they are accepted as they are and no judgements made. However someone with Achondraplasia (dwarfism) may view being called shortass somewhat differently, even if in jest, because of past experiences of being stared at or reviled for their differences, or being judged on their condition over all else.

I hope that explains better what I mean [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 11:55 AM   #63
Grungi
Banned User

epona no offense but couldnt you mention me? this is afterall the 2nd post of mine you havent read yet commented on and maligned me appreciate some kind of admittance that you got it wrong, and hopefully in future you fully understand my point before lecturing me
Old 01-09-2003, 11:59 AM   #64
Grungi
Banned User

oh and being short is equally as bad as being albino to others if your in that situation, depends on the individual, as a case yes of course being short is more acceptable because more people are short than albino, BUT to an individual it doesnt matter waht the situation, if people are insulting you for some physicality that you cannot help then its as bad as the next person being insulted for another physicality, you cannot say what i suffered is any less than what sio has suffered because you dont know the two individual stories, all i can say is i had about 11 years of daily insults, bullying and fights and thats 5 days a week 48 odd weeks a year, thats a hefty amount of suffering, and i did suffer back then, so to me being short is just as bad, as its what happened to me that hurt back then, so distinguish carefully between what socially is worse and what personally is worse, because personally you cannot put your suffering above others without very good reason.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:13 PM   #65
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
epona no offense but couldnt you mention me? this is afterall the 2nd post of mine you havent read yet commented on and maligned me appreciate some kind of admittance that you got it wrong, and hopefully in future you fully understand my point before lecturing me
*sigh*

OK Grungi, here's your mention. I didn't realise you felt a deep-seated need to be validated or recognised by me. (that's a joke btw [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

The reason I responded to Barry particularly was because I've met him and he's a mate, whereas I don't know you at all, OK? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 12:28 PM   #66
Sio

Thanks Epona, for putting across my view better than I ever can, im not good at writing, nevermind writing down about issues, I just cant seem to geti it across in words and normally mess up what im trying to say, leaving spaces, and thus levaing myself open to criticisms.
Some people may of saw what I was trying to say, others misunderstood me, I am total crap at writing stuff up and cant tell yuo for the life of me how I passed GCSE English [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
No insulting is right, under any circumstances, no condition should be made fun of that makes the person feel uncomfortable.
That and you can obviously see in some films how Albinos are shown in a bad light, some of the stuff on the sites were just stupid and were nitpicking I agree, I cant control the stuff they have on their, but I pasted the link because some of it had a point.
Because Albinos are pretty much always the bad guy, and people with white hair and pale skin who may or may not qualify as Albino (I dont know the exact details but as I see it a person white haired, white skinned with brown eyes definatly isnt just an average Joe and is more akin to Albino than any other type of person) and when theyre shown as good, in Powders case, it normally doesnt come across as intended, I see that in 'Powder' it was meant to show what Albinos go through but especially the superpowers he had with controlling electricty kinda nulled the films points as the film couldnmt really be taken too seriously with the electricty thing in.
Just wanted to point it out to everyone, and yes im quick to get angry, hasty to add abusive replies but I dont see how I can be blamed when all I get is criticism and negativity wherever I go, I usually just bit my tongue and leave it (especially when its a younger perosn as who can blame em for not understanding) but when its someone who should know better I cant help myself.
Sorry for any upset to specific people, ive had a good hour and more playign Splinter Cell so ive calmed down and can see the irrationality and hastyness and also bad taste in which some of my replies were made.
No offence intended.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:39 PM   #67
Epona
Zartan

Sio, good for you mate, sounds like you had a good time with your game [img]smile.gif[/img]
Tempers here at IW can get a bit frayed sometimes, but basically the peeps here are generally good types.
I find internet communication so much more prone to misunderstanding than face to face conversation - if you can't see someone's face while you're talking you have to guess whether something is said in hatred, anger, humour, friendship, or upset, which can lead to hasty replies and insensitive comments on all sides of an arguement.

On your point about Powder, yes that was exactly what I thought. It could have been a good film about the difficulties of fitting in when you're percieved differently than the so called 'norm', but putting in all that supernatural rubbish did the opposite in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:23 PM   #68
Sio

[img]smile.gif[/img] Where exactley do you knwo these 3 albino friends from? never in my life have I met another unfortuatly, would be great to do so and I hope sometime I will.
ive heard all about when younger albinos are sometimes taken to 'groups' with parents, for parents to mmet other parents with albino children, this didnt happen with me so ive not had a chance as of yet to meet any other albinos [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 01:33 PM   #69
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Sio, I'm probably telling you something you already know, but have you looked here. I know it's US based, but it does have a message board that might be of interest.

Hope this helps

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 01-09-2003, 01:34 PM   #70
Sio

Cool! no in fact ive not been there, thanks a lot, ive been on a few sites about it but never one with a message board [img]smile.gif[/img]
Cheers m8