Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2001, 09:24 PM   #11
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

I agree with all of that Moni.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:58 PM   #12
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Cavern Sniffer:
Running the risk of sounding stupid here but what is the link and of what relevance is it. I looked in there but it left me baffled, what's it all about?

It's an online gaming club I belong to. We've been meeting each other in real life and playing online for nearly 3 years. The "Gatherings" Link is a link to all the various websites that host images of our past gatherings. The root of the matter is is that we all new each other on the internet only for nearly a year. We're just as tight-knit now as ever. Some we still havent seen in real life and only know them online. (but everyone almost has been to at least one real life get together by now).

It took alot of friendship, comeraderie, and trust to finally decide to meet in real life. We each had a healthy online friendship and respect for each other far before.

[This message has been edited by Waluin (edited 07-13-2001).]
Old 07-13-2001, 11:03 PM   #13
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Waluin:
It's an online gaming club I belong to. We've been meeting each other in real life and playing online for nearly 3 years. The "Gatherings" Link is a link to all the various websites that host images of our past gatherings. The root of the matter is is that we all new each other on the internet only for nearly a year. We're just as tight-knit now as ever. Some we still havent seen in real life and only know them online. (but everyone almost has been to at least one real life get together by now).

It took alot of friendship, comeraderie, and trust to finally decide to meet in real life. We each had a healthy online friendship and respect for each other far before.

That's totally cool, Waluin! Online friendships that have a RL link. Now there, you've got a good thing going.

Moni

------------------

Old 07-13-2001, 11:04 PM   #14
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

ha, of course theyre real! my best friend on either side of reality or internet life (i refuse to call it reality cuz its soooo nice in here ) is someone who i met in a chat room on b.net (i doubt many of you know of this) when he was recruiting me into a gaming guild. ive stuck with him for 3 years now, and weve never backstabbed each other (we have our own lil codes of honor, and loyalty is included in both), and we helped each other through our problems, no matter how difficult they were. while we may not be able to see each others faces, a fact that leads to many mistaken meanings, i trust him more than anyone else my age that i know, and expect the same of him.

------------------
Proud member of the HADB. And remember, when you're thinking of giant heads, why not think of the Big Giant Head?
Old 07-13-2001, 11:34 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I think it's a very interesting topic, Bilqis.

I have some friends, met online, whom I've met in rl and still talk to whenever I can. No it's not the same as having them right nearby, but now that we've met in person (numerous times) I don't think of them as 'cyber friends' anymore. They are solid rl acquaintances.

I also feel that several of my current 'online' friends are likely to be people I'm in touch with for years if not forever. And yes, some will drift away but that's the nature of 'real life' too!

I tend to agree with Sazerac that after a month or so you can get a good idea what the person is like. I would have to say that it takes much longer, at least for me, to form any 'lasting bonds' of friendship. I have done it with a few people here. I won't name names, you know who you are . These are people I 'connect with' and who keep in touch as much as they can in posts/email/chat and real snail mail. People who genuinely care how I'm doing and for whom I spare a thought or a prayer fairly often. So yes, I call them friends. I think of all the other online people I know and communicate regularly with as good acquaintances. This place is brimming with nice people!

Since you did mention me in your post, dearest Javi, I just want to say that if I ever make it to your half of the world, rest assured, I'll visit you, no doubt about it!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-14-2001, 12:52 AM   #16
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Interesting topic!

I think Internet friendships are pretty good most of the time.
It is a lot easier to make friends, but also a lot easier to lose friends. Either by losing touch (which is very easy on the net), or by some other reason.
I think I have got to know a few people on the board quite well through MSN and stuff, and its good to have a chat every now and then.

I don't think cyber friends are that easy to keep though, if you rely on the net to stay in contact. Say someone loses their internet connection, it makes things difficult. I guess there is always email though.
Without expactation and judgements though, anyone can be your friend (which sadly isn't true for a lot of people in RL).

Just a few thoughts from the sylent one...

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 07-14-2001, 02:59 AM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Friends are like stars...you may not always see them but you know they are always there.

That goes for real-life and cyber; I don't make a distinction. The only difference is in the mode of communication!
------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 07-14-2001).]
Old 07-14-2001, 03:27 AM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Memsypie? Um, dearest friend.. you are repeating yourself, with a gap.... LOL
Did you sleep at all?

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-14-2001, 03:56 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Repeat? Dunno what you're talking about.

------------------
Old 07-14-2001, 04:03 AM   #20
Sigmar
Unicorn

They are only YOUR friends if you dont lie about yourself because then the person you are talking about dosen't exist, it isn't you.

------------------
"In Ankh-Morpork curiosity killed the cat, tied weights to its legs and then threw it in the river."

Tiax, warmaster of clan HADB