Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2001, 06:16 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Man. I just went had a squizz at a photo album from another forum and to my suprise found out that about three or four posters were actually adults.

From their posts I had assumed they were children.

What is this phenomena? Why is it people feel they can be petulant, insulting and rude online? Are they like this at work? In a relationship? I shudder to think. Common courtesy is not difficult. It takes more muscles to frown than smile, and probably takes less time and energy to type this: than to be abusive.

Perhaps it is similar to the car syndrom. "Safe" in their "private world" of the automobile they can scream abuse, give the finger and cut people off. If they did this in the street on foot they'd likely be smacked in the head.

Why do people feel they can be infantile of the net? Any suggestions?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-17-2001, 06:27 PM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Silver cheetah, I saw you're replying, but haven't posted yet. I just wanted to say I read that you are Fjlotsdales daughter! well there you go. How's the greenpeace stuff going? I'm a financial contributor to greenpeace in Australia. Keep it up.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-17-2001, 06:29 PM   #3
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Why do people feel they can be infantile of the net? Any suggestions?

Because no one can get at them to smack them in the head?

Forum ranting is an easy option for the emotionally retarded and the mentally immature, - especially forums where the moderators are not of the same calibre as those of IW.

The 10% club is alive and well online (as in 'what the hell happened to the other nine tenths of your brain'?).

------------------
Old 09-17-2001, 06:34 PM   #4
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Silver cheetah, I saw you're replying, but haven't posted yet. I just wanted to say I read that you are Fjlotsdales daughter! well there you go. How's the greenpeace stuff going? I'm a financial contributor to greenpeace in Australia. Keep it up.

Hey dude - How do you know?? Guess she must have told you (I haven't read all the threads yet....). Yup, that's ma mommy, - I'm proud to say!

Re Greenpeace - it's going well, except we've had to cool the Stopesso campaign for obvious reasons. I got arrested on an Esso action a few weeks ago - very dramatic - the police cut through a big steel crate that I was in, that was barricading the entrance to esso's distribution plant in Essex, UK. They were pretty nice though - many of the UK police are GP members themselves.....

Glad to hear you contribute, - it all helps!

------------------
Old 09-17-2001, 06:41 PM   #5
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
I read that you are Fjlotsdales daughter!
OMG!! I had no idea. I seem to remember Fjlotsdale mentioning something back in the day about how she was worried her daughter would be arrested at a Greenpeace demonstration. LOL, what a small world. I guess that wisdom and a talent for writing are family traits .

Anyways, on Yoricks post I've noticed that too. What's funny, is that as often as I'm surprised by adults posting like children, I'm surprised by youth posting as adults. Seriously, there are some extremely intelligent youths on this board. Lioness, Kaz, Rikard... nothing but respect.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB

[This message has been edited by MILAMBER (edited 09-17-2001).]
Old 09-17-2001, 06:50 PM   #6
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

hmm, we have someone like that in our guild. hes about 17, but acts like hes in second grade. i mean cmon, im younger than he is and i control myself much better than him! i cant list all the flamers that ive seen that i KNOW theyre older than me but instead act more like newborns. and then, of course, mature little ol me is back there acting like im 30 something when im just 14 (though if you call me 'child' or 'young one' youll likely get your ears boxed, and im very practiced at that too )

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.

Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.

Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!

[This message has been edited by SSJ4Sephiroth (edited 09-17-2001).]
Old 09-17-2001, 06:58 PM   #7
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

There are indeed some very mature young people in this forum! I, too, Yorick, have been startled to find some I thought were young are actually adult, and some I thought adult are very young. It isn't the years that count, it's the amount of wisdom a person has gained!

But, come on - hey! We can ALL be childish! And it is easier to be childish with people who don't know you in the flesh! They can't do it at work or at home.
And it is easier for young people to be mature with people who don't know them in the flesh, and see them acting the fool with their mates!

As for being petulant, rude and insulting.... well, it ain't nice, but maybe this is the only place they feel safe enough to vent their feelings?

------------------

Old 09-17-2001, 07:00 PM   #8
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Because no one can get at them to smack them in the head?

Hiya, ■■■■■-cat! *big hug*

------------------

Old 09-17-2001, 07:34 PM   #9
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ok I raise my hand and admit I sometimes respond in an uncivilized way.But I will say myself and Fljots disagreed and got over our disagreement. Berate me if you like but you grow rather calloused in your ways after working in the construction field after awhile. However I will strive to be more restrained in the future
Old 09-17-2001, 07:53 PM   #10
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well you know, we are all here, sitting in front of a keyboard, at home, or work for some, and can type anything. I know that many lame-O jokes I have posted, when just feeling silly, I would NEVER say outloud in RL amongst a crowd of friends LOL, cause of the fear they would look back at me with confused blank stares LOL. So yes, it is easy to type, you do not physically see the reaction that it gets, whether good or bad. I truly think if we put all of us members together physically in one room, we would all see eachother so differently, and our views on many would most likely change completely around, again for the good or bad, if that makes sense.

For me, mostly, the things that have surprised me on this forum re ages/personalities, is that I have thought quite a few people posting much older, later to learn they are much younger. The maturity of many of our teenage members is really impressive.

I have heard that MH has some kinda chat Yahoo thingy going, where groups of members can talk re voice at the same time. Don't know if Ziroc can swing it or not, but I think that could be one way to get to know eachother truly. Not face to face, cause unfortunately we all live so spread out, a gathering in person is not possible, but at least it would be the next best thing, as talking and hearing a person's voice DOES change perspectives as I mentioned above. Dunno, sorry, I'm babbling. Just thinking of ways to mend fences and keep em mended.

PS-Yorick has a very quiet gentle voice in person

------------------