Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2001, 10:24 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Saw this production under Sydneys starry sky, in the sprawling Centennial Park tonight. Absolutely brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The music - all inventive, incredibly creative, atmospheric and humerous percussion - was outstanding alone, let alone the entertaining, athletic, fun, comical, sensual dance.

Brilliant. If you get to see it do. They have and do tour it internationally too I believe.

But don't just take my word for it. Here are some reviews I dug up:

SYDNEY DANCE COMPANY

Free Radicals

"Graeme Murphy, the dancers and the musicians in Free Radicals have done something exciting and special. They have brought a sense of exploration and discovery from the studio to the stage, presenting a new work that has no lack of production polish yet maintains the intimacy and exhilaration of the creative process." Jill Sykes, Sydney Morning Herald, 1996

"Forget about the Olympics for a while... just let's award a platinum medal to Graeme Murphy who, after 20 years as artistic director of the Sydney Dance Company, has come up with the quintessential statement of his art in Free Radicals... The result is so radical and free and liberating and thrilling as to redefine the nature of dance." Brian Hoad, The Bulletin, 1996

"...to single out everyone for praise as much as I'd like to would just become a rollcall... it is fresh, revitalising and definitely knows the crowd for whom it was made."

William Shoubridge, The Australian, 1996

"As the floor of all dance is music, it is a braver experiment than it might seem to dispense with music altogether, apart from brief Japanese and Spanish songs."

Valerie Lawson, The Australian Financial Review, 1996

"This 90 minute show is bound to lift the spirits and broaden the comprehension of the meaning and nature of dance." Carol Payne, North Shore Times, 1996

"If the sense of mutual enjoyment pervading the stage and the auditorium at the Riverside Theatre is maintained, Free Radicals should win fans wherever it goes."

Jill Sykes, Sydney Morning Herald, 1997

"Easily the most significant new Australian dance piece seen in Sydney last year... I know of no other work of modern dance with more appeal to those who don't normally see dance. Certainly, no night in the theatre has so freed my euphoria in celebrating the rhythm of life."

Ken Healey, The Sun Herald, 1997

"They're a great company of dancers and Free Radicals gives them plenty of opportunity to show it" Vicki Fairfax, The Age, 1997

"It is highly charged, extroardinarily controlled and quite exhilarating... This is a work to appreciate for the brilliance of its technical stucture and execution skills"

Larry Ruffell, The Canberra Times, 1997

"Free Radicals is a hearty harvest of all things going in contemporary dance - from tap to reiterative sighs and from light elevation to resonant stomping. It's a variety showcase which seems as much enjoyed by the performers as by the audience."

Samela Harris, The Advertiser, 1997

"...an ingenious modern-dance production that mixes percussionists and dancers onstage with complex playfulness... Above all, Mr Murphy knows how to make things happen onstage."

Anna Kisselgoff, The New York Times, 1997

"The company of sixteen dancers performed with a spontaneity, maturity and technical finesse equal to any of the great modern dance companies of the Northern Hemisphere... These incredibly sexy bodies simply do not stop pushing their creative limits every moment they are on stage. It is Stomp meets Riverdance meets Mr Bean meets NDT meets Chippendales in a hour of rhythm and brilliant imagination." Nicholas Rowe, Dance Europe, 1998

"Graeme Murphy and his band of merry dancers do it every time. Arrive with a whoosh from across the Tasman and blow the socks off Kiwi audiences... Free Radicals is an eclectic mixture of movement and sound which is at times overwhelming in its intensity. Along the way there's a little karaoke, tap dancing, comedy, and much beautiful, beautiful movement."

Jane Phare, NZ Herald, 1998

"The Sydney Dance Company's contribution to this year's Festival of the Arts, Free Radicals can be summed in three words: experimental, exhilarating and efficient... Yet another gem"

Joanne Lee, The Straits Times, 1998

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-10-2001, 11:02 AM   #2
Moni

Wow!
Thank you for taking the time to post all of those reviews!
This definitely looks like something to put on my "Watch For This" list!
Thanks!

Old 11-10-2001, 11:06 AM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Wow!
Thank you for taking the time to post all of those reviews!
This definitely looks like something to put on my "Watch For This" list!
Thanks!

Hey no worries Moni! It was just a cut and paste.

I'm glad you appreciated though. [img]smile.gif[/img] I loved the show. Amazing. Had to spread the word you know? [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-10-2001, 06:02 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Thanks Yorick, I'll keep an eye out here in the U.S., not likely I'll forget the name "Free Radicals" LOL [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps