Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2000, 06:44 PM   #1
Ronn

I found a magic one-handed axe (+2 I think, but I'm not sure) that can be thrown, and it returns to the character everytime. By choosing under it's abilities, you can switch it to a melee weapon. Unfortunately, when you try to equip a shield or to dual weld you get an error message that says you can't use your off hand when using a ranged weapon!?!?!? To me this made the weapon useless on either setting. Is this a glitch or is there logic? And to clarify, I don't have a two handed weapon in any of my other weapon slots.

IMHO, if it's meant to be this way, then under the description, it should say two-handed not one-handed.

BTW, the fact that you can't use your off hand if you are using a ranged weapon, would surprise my cleric greatly because he's carried a sling and shield the entire game.

I've also found a one-handed knife that works the same way. It's +3 and I let my mage use it, so this weird penalty doesn't matter. I think this is the best mage weapon that is practical to use. I like some of the staffs, etc.. that allow you to cast or summon, but I always hated when, all of a sudden, my mage runs off into the heart of the battle because I selected all characters, picked a target, and forgot the mage wasn't set on a ranged weapons...lol. I've actually seen him kick butt in melee a couple of times, but he usually ends up dead.

Old 12-23-2000, 07:03 PM   #2
Suul-Yinn

I agree, it is stupid you can't dual wield with them, but I am pretty sure I could use a shield with both. Is it in your right hand?

Old 12-23-2000, 08:38 PM   #3
Ronn

Absolutely, I had the weapon in question in my right (my good) hand. I could weld it with no problem, but no shield. It treated it as if it were a two handed ranged weapon.

Old 12-23-2000, 09:36 PM   #4
Armisael

I can understand how dual-wielding throwing axes might be a little tricky, but I've had Korgan using throwing axes with shields all the way through two games. Bug?

Old 12-23-2000, 10:43 PM   #5
Ronn

That's what I think...

Old 12-24-2000, 02:38 AM   #6
Worm
The Magister

Nahh, Remember in BG1 at High Hold (Place with the conjurer) the skeletons had large sheilds and throwning knives ahh thats how it was in the day. Even if you switch a throwing axe to Melee its still counted as a range weapon. F.Y.I at the copper cornet off of the fat ass merchant you can get the Stonefire +3 fire axe which is good. Maybe its the sheild your have or your race or class who knows.