Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
Mirror Image
Manshoon

Well I have cleared the vampires but now I'm facing the real leader. A Dracolich of decent size, power and attitude. Tried brute force with my shield Golem. Even buffed him up and cast protection from evil alignment on it. It gets in a few good hits and then goes down with the rest of my group following. Tried also a helmed horror, planar champion, etc. Still no good.

Read an earlier section about looking around so I cast invisibility on the group and tried to sneak around him. got into his real lair were I found the all important soul of the lich. tried blasting it and that just brought you-know-who. Wiped out my golem, my associates and them my character. The only interesting this was the secret door I found just before dying.

Anything I am missing. The only hitting power I have is the shield Golem. I'm a sorcerer type with a whole lot of items: Even the Crystal of the undead.
Mirror Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Well, use the secret door, perhaps? Sneak around to it, run through it, and then you should be okay. Alternately, if you want to cheese it, you can always retreat out of the cave back the way you came, rest/heal and return. The game doesn't seem to notice, oddly enough -_-.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:11 PM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Far as I know, the only way to destroy the soul object is with brute force. You or someone has to bash it until it's gone. The alternative is to fight Mr. Bones several times; eventually he dies for good.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:54 AM   #4
Mirror Image
Manshoon

Any ideas on how to keep his aura from causing my PC to freeze. I have the Lich Helmet on but consentration doesn't seem to help.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:36 AM   #5
Mirror Image
Manshoon

Another question, I used my golem and a mummy to keep old bone head busy while I went for the soul jar. I hit it square with a +5 wizards Staff (taken from a dearly departed vampire priest). The response was "the weapon had no effect". Don't tell me I have to use non-magical weapons on it (I don't have any).

Also is there away to keep my golem out of this battle. If its killed/destroyed I can't bring it back.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:25 AM   #6
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Maybe you have to beat his soul thing whilst his soul is transfering to a new host?
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:34 AM   #7
Legolas
Jack Burton

I assume this is about Vixthra, in HotU chapter 2, in the Cult Temple: Hall of the Sacred One. Please give us information like that so we can provide the right answers.

Spoilers follow.

First, keeping henchmen out of it. I ordered them to stand their ground right at the entrance, which kept them safe for the most part. It isn't foolproof but better than nothing.
Second, you can win by killing the dracolich after destroying the phylactery, or by killing him four times.

The phylactery has a hardness of 15 and 80 hitpoints. The hardness is the equivalent of damage resistance 15/- to all physical attacks. Try to use elemental damage or similar, or else make sure your strength is high enough. A quarterstaff +5 does 1d6 + 5 damage which won't ever beat 15 unless your own strength is high enough (20+), but you can use spells such as Flame Weapon or (Empowered) Bulls Strength to improve its effectiveness.
Damaging the phylactery will make the dracolich fly over to where you are standing (the first time anyway), so don't think you can destroy it safely.

The secret doors allow you to pass through walls of the chamber, which you may find helpful for escaping the dracolich.

About the freezing effect, I assume it is because of the cutscene but I couldn't say for certain without greater detail.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Could be that his fear aura is affecting your character. All dragons have a fear aura that must be saved against (will save). Try buffing for that and see if it helps (or equip an item that boosts will if you have one).

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Or, drink a potion of clarity...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:04 AM   #10
Mirror Image
Manshoon

Well I took everyones advice and with alittle help and several flee's-for-my-life, I got the Dracolich.

Robertthebard; excellent idea on clarity, have wondered what that spell was for other then giving my PC an interesting hairdo.

Legolas; dead right on the damage issue. Changed attack to an enhanced Chain Lightening spell. The Dracolichs soul gem blew up almost instantly.

After that I ran like hell taking down two of the four bone golems on the way out. Couldn't stay long, or he would tear my golem apart and then me. Came back later after healing and put some more damage on the Dracolich (and getting one more bone golem).

Finally realised something; I had the wrong assistant. It turns out the Diva I saved earlier had a mace that is realy good againt undead. The only problem is it only works for people from the other planes. Well that mean't I had to go back to the Seer's Temple and get the Tiefling. Brought him in with me the next time and added a Clestrial Avenger (who actually brought down the beast). But the Tiefling can wield that mace with all its enhancements against Undead.