Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2001, 10:42 PM   #1
ogopogo
Manshoon

One of the greatest musicians of all time died yesterday and it is buried in the papers. Many of the younger people would not know him, but without him rock'n'roll as we all know it would not exist. John Lee Hooker was if not the greatest blues musician, one of the top three. If it were not for him there would have been no BB. King, with no BB. King there would have been no Elvis, no Elvis equals no Beatles... (well you know the rest)
Many people and bands said he was one of their biggest influences... Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Rolling Stones, Cream... well I could go on a long time. Ask yourself who all these people I have just named influenced. He was a pioneer and I hardly hear a word about it.
He made over 100 albums during his career(no one knows for sure) Many of the songs that you hear on the radio we written by John Lee Hooker. An incredible musician has passed and again, we hear so little about it. It is a shame. .......Boom...Boom...Boom...
Old 06-22-2001, 11:35 PM   #2
Moni

You're right...there was only a brief announcement about it here.
You would think, with J.L.'s history that it would have been a bigger deal.
Maybe they just need some time to collect the vast array of media in order to put together a fitting tribute to such a talented musician.
I would bet that all of the upcoming music awards are compiling their tributes for their shows as we speak. I hope to see one.

Moni

------------------

Old 06-22-2001, 11:43 PM   #3
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I know him and I am one of the younger people. I never liestened too him but i liesten to some of the pople you mentioned (Led Zep. , Jimi, S.R.V ect.) I know what a musicain he was, a great one. Sad that such a muscian is added to the books. Ah well, at least he didnt die at 27 like so many other great ones did!!

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be
Old 06-23-2001, 12:56 AM   #4
ogopogo
Manshoon

I guess I am not so sad that he died... He was 80, but what I am upset about was the lack of coverage. I hope that Moni is right and the tributes to him are just going to take time.

It just seems wrong to me that when Kurt Cobain, Shannon Hoon, or other recent artists die it is front page news. The RUMOUR that Brittny Spears was killed in a car crash got much more coverage than JLH's real death. I am not saying that people like Kurt Cobain are not increadibly talented artists but it is wrong that the people that invented R'n'R are pushed to the back page.

I guess it is all about selling newspapers...
Oh, Grand-Ranger, I would recommend picking up A JLH greatest hits album...It will seem a little slow maybe but you can see what it leads to... or if you want some faster blues type music B.B. King - "Live at the Regal" or "Lucille" are both albums everyone should have in their collection. IMO.
Old 06-23-2001, 02:51 AM   #5
CyberPixie

I didn't even realize that John Lee Hooker had died....he influenced so many musicians and was such an amazing blues player himself. How sad that the world has lost a truly great artist....but at least his music touched/influenced many generations.