Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2001, 09:42 AM   #1
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I've been really hoping that as I got further into the game that all the techie stuff wouldn't bother me.
Last week I was only able to play for about an hour or so because I was busy with stuff for our Border Collie rescue group. Was rather looking forward to getting some time this week to play and make progress. Loaded up the game yesterday and headed into the Mines area only to find more techie stuff. I played for about an hour or so and quit even though I had more time in which I could have played. This isn't looking too good for me.

Wyv (who doesn't like her rpg genre mixed)
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 10:34 AM   #2
Amaron
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I know how you feel on that . I was highly dissapointed when I saw you could get a class with a gun right away. I figure I'll be able to ignore it as long as my chars can get along using only low tech stuff and still be effective. This is nothing new to old school RPG's I know but I wish they would of saved it for the end game somewhat.

Amaron
Amaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 10:38 AM   #3
Case00
Manshoon

It's not really that bad.. I don't think I used a single tech object the entore time I played (not including things I had to fix to get past). You can do quite well just ignoring that aspect of the game (if you can get past the blinking lights and buzzing sounds [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Case00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 10:38 AM   #4
vesselle
Hathor

~~wyvern~~

i'm so sorry to hear that. it's an excellent game and (unlike so many) very story driven. the sad fact is that if the story doesn't appeal to you, then it doesn't matter about the rest.

i don't think you're alone in feeling as you do, however. it's not uncommon. i have friends who will only play the might & magic games about 3/4 thru because it gets sci-fi at the end. they really don't like the aliens, scifi tech & weapons mixed in with their fantasy.

however, i like it. alot. it seems almost natural to me that the fantasy world is one born of sci fi... that dragons and space ships occupy the same airspace. ::smiles:: it feels right somehow.
i like dragonriders by anne mccaffrey for the same reason. the idea that dragons were bred from cloning experiments to help humanity survive on a world not their own and that over time, this legacy was forgotten.

the integration of medieval fantasy and sci-fi seems so... so.... human. the way that great civilizations can rise and fall and be lost to history goes to explain, in my mind, how the two can fit so well together.

V***V

btw, have you looked into Gorasul? it is due out in the next week.
i have played the german demo, and even with the language barrier was totally entranced by it. it has a baldur's gate feel to it, but the storyline (to me, at least) has the feel of planescape torment. your actions directly affect your character.
its a top down rpg, with beautiful painted backgrounds, over 100 monster types and very good monster ai. some of the animations are so simple, but totally cool. when the wind blows, bushes and trees shake and chimney smoke changes directions. little birdies and bats fly over your head. ::smiles::
you have to be the main char, and can only build him within 5 classes, but you pick up npcs to play with you on the way, for a 4 person party.
you have lots of places to put points into as you level, so you do really personalize him as you go. plus, there's a sentient weapon that grows as you do.
it isn't a long game (by rpg standards). i have heard that its about 50 hours, but if the demo is any indication, it will be a very enjoyable 50 hours.
Old 11-27-2001, 10:45 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi Amaron!

Nice to know that I'm not completely alone on this topic!

I wish they'd leave it out altogether. I've never liked it even at the end game.
Oh well. I guess I will try playing some more and see if something happens that overrides my aversion but it is a major disappointment to find that I don't look forward to playing.

Wyv
Old 11-27-2001, 10:58 AM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for the additional comments, vesselle and Case00!

I know this sort of thing works very well for lots of players though I'm unclear as to whether it is included because it does work for many players or because it was more interesting for the designers. The latter, I believe.
I'm just complaining because I haven't had a good rpg to play since W&W and had been looking forward to this one. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise, I've got a ton of things I have to get done before the holidays and it will be easier to accomplish if I'm not absorbed in Wiz 8.

Wyv
Old 11-27-2001, 10:59 AM   #7
Mordenheim
Elminster

Wyvern I am with you on that. IMHO sci-fi and fantasy do not mingle at all. I will have a hard time playing Wizardry 8 if that is the case. I am new to the Wizardry series and am sorry to hear it has techie stuff in it.

I have read about 700 fantasy books in my time. No, I have not read Anne Mc and now I know why [img]smile.gif[/img] that is not to knock it or anything... just my own taste. Also a reason I had to pass on Arcanum even though I did buy it.

Out of those 700 books only ONE series has a sci-fi mix to it. The reason was the writer C.S Friedman was just that - a scifi writer. I have to say I loved the series but it was for sure the exception and not the rule in fantasy. The books lost that fantasy feeling because of it. The writer was so goood though that the series was very good. It is really hard for me to picture a dwarf going to a ATM machine.. but that is just me.

This is all IMHO and should be taken as such. I respect everyones views and am just offering my own. I can see where Wyvern is coming from and can for sure relate.

--
gorasul does look good and thanks for the heads up [img]smile.gif[/img]
Mordenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:25 AM   #8
Case00
Manshoon

Those books.. Was it the This Coming Darkness series (can't really remember the titles).. With the Hunter. If so, Those were damn good, I agree.
Case00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:28 AM   #9
Mordenheim
Elminster

Yes they were [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Coldfire trilogy

The Hunter was awsome

"The power of Fae"
Mordenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:42 AM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The tech stuff actually started integrating into the Wizardry series back in Wizardry 6...after finding the Cosmic Forge, your characters encounter either A) an alien robot (which turns out to be Alethiedes, the guy you encounter in the Monastery in Wizardry 8), or B) find a space ship with Bela, the black dragon, in which you escape to Guardia.

The tech stuff continues to a large extent in Wizardry 7, mainly in the Savant's areas (the Forbidden Zone in New City and in Nyctalinth), and in the T'Rang and Umpani strongholds there (they have teleporters and computers, etc.) Also, the City of Sky is very high-tech. Toward the endgame, when you're about to get the Astral Dominae, you're fighting androids rather than demons. Still, most of Wizardry 7 is low-tech medieval. Actually, I think it was Wiz 7 that started the trend towards having sci-fi intermingled with fantasy, and Might and Magic continued the trend in their series.

As for me, I don't really mind the high-techie stuff. Like Case00, I don't tend to use much of it, although I do like Madras' omni-gun (which I take becomes more and more like an M&M "blaster" as time goes on). But a gadgeteer is certainly not mandatory in this game, and you can probably win the entire game using nothing but swords and sorcery (Case will probably bear me out on this one). As Vesselle says, I'm fine with having an interspersing of some sci-fi with the fantasy. I guess I played Wizardry 7 so many times that I got used to it. So, seeing the Savant Troopers and the Umpani and the T'Rang were like seeing old "friends" (LOL) after many, many years for me. Those just coming new into the game will have missed a large part of that. You can get some of their history in Wiz 7, though, if you ask them about "Guardia" when talking to the NPC's, especially Don Barlone', Calzone, Sgt. Balbrak (who was in Wiz 7, too!), and probably some of the T'rang (although I talk to them as little as I have to...old memories die hard from Wiz 7! [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote