Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2001, 06:12 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Just out of curiosity, which of the posters here has played a "solo" character through the game successfully? Tell us a little bit about it, especially as there are several questions on the board regarding solo play.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 06:14 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Can I lurk even though I'm not a member??

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 06:15 PM   #3
Balgin
Elminster

I got bored of that after discovering how stupidly easy it is for a femaly pixie sorceress (wizard) to attain fifth level without a supporting party and went back to the good old fashioned "mob with armour" approach.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 06:19 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Of course, Wyvern! I'm not either, LOL, although I'm thinking about doing so on my next playthrough. I thought it may be fun to have a place for those to post who did complete the game as a Solo character and some of the strategies they used; challenges (if any, like Balgin said, it would seem to be a bit easy after awhile), etc.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 10:30 PM   #5
AliCat
Drow Warrior

I'm playing a one-character game at present, am currently in Collasium. It's definitely been fun, and you do advance like crazy once you get over the first few deaths-by-worgur. The negative side of it could be that you may not get your trap unlocking skills for much later if you start with a wizard, and you have much less pack room. I started with a gourk wizard, figuring the gourk is most likely to carry the biggest load. The character has progressed through every role so far, with the exception of monk, which she'll hit next (not a wise quest to take when heading to the underwater city).

What questions do you have?

AliCat
AliCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 01:02 AM   #6
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

I am on a solo quest now. I started with an Elven Wizard cuz I wanted the Stone Magic right away. I ***HAD*** to have meteorstorm to use on Naga, Elyssia and those mantraps.

I did do a couple of cheats, tho. I brought back from the last game a decent sword, some gold, a Ring that I blessed and an armband that I blessed. I also used 4 toughen potions right away so that I did not keep getting killed before I could move.

Right now I am a 70th Level Assassin just out of Collasium. I haven't offed Oakenmir, but Kol would not talk to the dragon to get blasted and I couldnt kill Kol, so I had to waste the dragon to get the sword.

If I don't rise up a couple of levels I may off Oakenmir so I can make it to 125 level assassin.

Knarfling.

------------------
Only two of my personalites have delusions, but one of them is paranoid and the other is out to get him.
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 06:30 AM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

As some may know from past posts, I'm currently playing a Human/Female/Wizard14/Paladin14/Ranger14/Ninja13/Vampire. I just finished the Stout Mine and haven't decided if I will change her to an Assassin.
Her next adventure is the Dragonspire, hoping to fight Erathsmedore with just her teeth, but I doubt it is possible with no armor, jewelry or protective magic. I'm not sure I'll save the game after the kill, though. With only 1 character you really don't need that much experience points at one time. This is mostly to see if it can be done. She'll probably do the same with Oakenmir.

I think the toughest decisions are whether to stick with few role changes or to try them all and end with a Zenmaster...the pinnacle of achievement.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 09:05 AM   #8
Lexus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm playing solo as a male Lizzord. He started as Wizard, (to get Stonemagic), changed to Barbarian, (Hitpoints, Picklock),Bard (Moonmagic),Samurai (Sunmagic, Ancesteral Guide),Paladin (Spiritmagic, Crusade)Ranger (Vinemagic),Warlock (to finish out remaining spells. Before I did the Assassin quest I changed to Ninja (a Warlock isn't able to invoke the Assassin's dagger). I'm still an Assassin, finished just the Boogre caves (I love that Giantstrike trait ). Now I'm heading towards the Dragon Spire to drink a cup of tea with Erathsmedor .
Hadn't any problems with these mantraps because of Snakeskin. The only little problem is the small inventory, but it doesn't matter so much. Going solo is very fun for me, however it's not a real challenge. It might be a little tough at the beginning.

------------------
May dragons always be in thy dreams...
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 07:47 PM   #9
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

I too I'm playing Solo. Unlike most people here, I decided to do this the first time through. I'm playing a Female/Elf/Wizard 8 (also stone)- Ranger 8 - Paladin 9 - Warlock 13 - Barbarian 9 - Monk 9 - Bard 3 - Samourai 14 - Ninja 14 - Assassin (now finishing the Skull Castle at 18).

The only cheat I had was to have 2 extra caracters (just gophers) and I pulled their gold so I started up with 600 gp, instead of 200. Aside from that, I didn't cheat... no restart to get extra experience (I didn't know we could do that until last night!).

It's definitly interesting but not that challenging. I recommend that you keep your hanks for after you've max'd your attribute (paying for them or lvl up).
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote