Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2002, 05:41 AM   #31
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Now we're getting somewhere.
I'm pretty sure there are no 'External' video cards and if there are...they would cost a bit more.

One thing I Do know...Your system could use more RAM. Playing games on a machine that just makes the min requirements, usually means slow gameplay, choppy video and frequent crashes.
Take a look at this site... Curcial. It will help you figure out, What kind of Ram, What speed, How much you can add and Price. Then, you can shop around for better deals.

**If your system is not listed...click 'support page', under 'service and support'. Then under 'RAM support', click 'Download the Belarc Advisor'.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:14 AM   #32
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

External video card? Nope, can't say as I've run across one of those. Can't say as I'd want to, either.

Are all the PCI slots used, or are there just no PCI slots? Certain PC manufacturers use proprietary hardware that makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to upgrade. Packard Bell was one that I ran into; there are others...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 05:06 AM   #33
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

No Bungleau there are no pci slots at all.
Thanks for the tip Packrat. I can get 128MB for $40AUD or 256MB for $80AUD locally. If I get the 128 would it run in the second slot next to the 64 I already have, or would I have to ditch the 64 & put the 256 in one slot.
I think I will start putting second hand parts together & build a new computer over the next year or so. I will not make the same mistake twice & I will make sure I have an upgradable motherboard in an ATX case. W&W is on the limit of what my pc's graphics chipset will support. When W&W2 comes along I will have to have something better. I think I will do what packrat does & have 2 pc's, one for the internet. At least I wont have to push the kids around as much. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 07-30-2002, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: kev ]
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 05:33 AM   #34
WillowIX
Apophis

Asked the hubby about your motherboard and he said:
Quote:
The Intel 810/815 series is probably the worst scam ever.
The 810 more than 815 since the latter has some slots (agp). Recommendation from him was to replace the entire thing, 850 I think it was, but donīt listen to him too much lol. The 850 then supports a number of things that I have no clue about, Dual channel, netburst processor(?). But heīs got a monster on his desk so (P4 2,53GHz,1,5Gb RAM, CDRW, DVDRW and some 300Gb harddrive). I donīt think you need that to play W&W though lol. I doubt that he needs all that for his work, especially his latest "purchase" SB Extigy when he already has the audigy card... Then to graphics cards where he strongly recommends titanum 4600 or something (no idea) otherwise a Geforce. Also if you build it yourself try to get the external cards from the same manufacturer (ie Creative or something) again no explanation. Maybe itīs time I talked some sense into him about comps LOL!

[ 07-30-2002, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 05:54 AM   #35
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

SDRAM is very friendly. You can mix module sizes. My prefrence is to put the larger mod in the #1 slot. ( I don't really know if it makes a difference)

Upgrading to 192MB, will definitely make a noticable difference in system preformance.. .. The difference bewteen 192 and 320, (adding 256) would be much less.

As for, building another machine.....Save your money for now. There are some big changes in the works and it should mean lower prices for the current 'Bleeding Edge' hardware.

[ 07-30-2002, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: Packrat ]
Old 07-30-2002, 06:32 AM   #36
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks for your help crew. After all the research I have done in the last week I now know more about computers thaen I thought I would have to.
If Morningstar hadn't given me a shakeup I would still be living in ignorant bliss.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 08:12 AM   #37
morningstar
The Magister

Well crew, I have decided to get a G-Force card and yes it plugs into my computer! I had a Packard Bell and was ripped off by the people who sold it to me and also another company I took it to to fix it! I used up all the guarantee on it taking it back and forth from day 1 to get it fixed. I have learned the hard way, if you don't know much about the workings people rip you off! I have learnt quite a lot since then, and should have got Packard Bell to replace it with another, but did not know that at the time. Well when it gets it's upgrades it will be better than new. My sons have been doing courses and know a lot about the computers now and are going to upgrade it for me. I am looking forward to that day!
Old 07-30-2002, 09:13 AM   #38
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sorry for the experiences you've had, morningstar. My own take on it is that the people who want my business back again won't rip me off (or try to). The only ones who will do that are people who don't care if they ever see you again.

That's why I've got a locally-owned computer store around here that I go to for most of my real needs. I'll use the large chains for specially-priced items, but when it's time for a new machine, I head to the little guys. It matters to them whether I come back or not...

One of the other important things that I do is to use a variety of people who know more than me as a sounding board. If someone's offering me something that doesn't smell quite right (although it may not smell bad), I'll run it by them for their opinions. That way, I go into it with both eyes open. I use a professional email list for that; you might run some such questions through here, or through other avenues (such as asking your sons to verify things).

Ah, well. While the pain of encounters with such vipers is annoying, they're the ones who will carry it to their karmic graves.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote