Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2001, 08:15 AM   #1
Simon
The Magister

How do you aquire new ones, as you can write mage spells to your spell book but you dont seem to be able to do the same for priests?
Old 05-23-2001, 08:19 AM   #2
Lord Shield

Priests get GRANTED their spells by either their deities, or servants of the deity. It's a faith thing. Although they need no books, they need their holy symbols to channel them usually

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp

Old 05-23-2001, 08:26 AM   #3
Nevyn
Dungeon Master

the higher wisdom you have, the more spells do you get,
it is called bonus spells

------------------
The wisdom is only possist by the learning.
Old 05-23-2001, 08:34 AM   #4
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
How do you aquire new ones, as you can write mage spells to your spell book but you dont seem to be able to do the same for priests?
When you are of a level to where you qualify for a new level of spells, you will automatically gain all of the spells for that level in your "spellbook". You can only memorize a certain number of those available spells, but you can choose from all the spells that are available. Does that help?

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-23-2001, 08:39 AM   #5
Lord Shield

Priest spells are slightly different. Each time they regain their spells (morning I think) they CHOOSE their spells from the entire list available to clerics of that faith. Mages can only choose from the list they have LEARNT in their spellbooks

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp

Old 05-23-2001, 09:17 AM   #6
Simon
The Magister

So I have Aierie and Jahera, what faith are they? Do they get thing like this quivering palm Ive hear so much about?
Old 05-23-2001, 10:51 AM   #7
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

Simon

Nope only monks get quivering palm, anyway, Clerics don't use magic the channel the power of their chosen deity who then manifests themselves (whether by attacking your enemy with a hoard of insects or embuing you with unbelievable power...

As such, calling them spells is a misnomer and a mistake commonly made, thats why you see priest scroll (prayers) rather than magic scroll (magic). As such, Clerics wisdon is the most important part, as the wiser they are and the more powerful, the more their chosen deity will notice them. Thus, a wise cleric will typically have more priest abilities per level and the the more levels they go up the more powerful abilities are granted to them. Different Deities will grant different abilities (though there seems to be some common themes that run through all) which will be reflected in the different Cleric you pick.

Mages by comparison require intelligence and the smarter they are the more spells they get per level. As they level up, they can use more powerful spells. Again, the different schools will grant you different abilities (e.g. necromancy), but there is common themes to all schools....
Old 05-23-2001, 11:05 AM   #8
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

In my opinion if you are going to create a cleric give him a wisdom of 18!!!!
anything less than that is a waste of time. and a mage should have intelligence of 18. fighter strength 18. monk 18 strength and 18 dex. they need to be at the top of the heap in their field.

------------------
IS THE PIZZA HERE YET????
WANNA PASS ME A BEER??? THANKS!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2001, 11:20 AM   #9
Simon
The Magister

unfortunatly I started the game by making my main character a fighter so I cant get hold of a monk now can I? Also does Jahera or Aiaere have 18 Wisdom? If not can I sort this? I know about drinking wisdom potions but that doesnt last long so is there any point in drinking them???

Sorry about all the questions!
Old 05-23-2001, 02:18 PM   #10
Simon
The Magister

anyone?