Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2002, 01:57 PM   #1
gutplumbr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A couple of questions. Hope they aren't too basic.

First, how do I open the magic door in the temple sewers? I killed the bad guys & discovered a secret door nearby, but my thief can't pick the lock, and my mage has no luck with spells that are supposed to open magically sealed doors. What am I missing?

More importantly, I thought that intelligence for a mage limited the number of spells memorizable at a given level. Now it appears that INT limits the number of spells that can be written in the spell book. Is there any way to delete some spells from the spell book in order to make room for better ones as they become available? I REALLY want to make room for sequencers & other vital spells.

Which brings up a point about spell sequencers. I think I read in the manual that a mage can only have 1 sequencer at a time, I assume (probably a bad idea) that this means only 1 sequencer can be in memory at a time. Correct?

I appreciate the help. ;-}
gutplumbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 02:14 PM   #2
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I can't help you with the door, but yes, you can clear spells from your spellbook. Right-click on the spell, then click "clear". And - as far as I remember - you can memorize as many sequencers as you want. However, if you cast one while another is already active, the spell will do nothing. Or was that contingencies? *confused*
Glad to help! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 02:34 PM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

SOME SPOILERS
To open the door, you need a key, named 'Sewers Key'.
You will obtain this key from Tazok, in Firkraggs Dungeon.

EDIT: These arent dumb questions! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

see ya!

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: Sir Exxon ]

Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 02:34 PM   #4
gutplumbr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry, I may not have been clear. I have no problem removing memorized spells. My problem is that whenever I find a useful scroll and try to write it to my mage's spell book, I am told that the mage has maxed out on spells based on her INT. Either I keep numerous scrolls on hand (expensive) or I find a way to delete 'useless' spells from the mage's spell book to make room for new spells. Does this make sense? The question is if / how to 'unwrite' spells from the spell book.

Thanks again.
gutplumbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 05:37 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

There is a way to do this

* reaches for manual*

* encounters thin air where STOLEN MANUAL USED TO BE*

bugger. I think you have to r-click on the spell in the right hand side of the spell book. I didnt think this limit was actualy implemented though. A work around would be to use a couple potions on inteligence to give yourself and INT of 25.
Old 02-03-2002, 06:00 PM   #6
Ezekial
The Magister

You can only delete spells if you have ToB installed, BUT it might have been in the last patch, I dunno.

You right click on the spell in the spell book (where ALL the spells are) and click erase, then its gone for good unless you find another scroll.
Old 02-03-2002, 06:03 PM   #7
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Yes you can only delete spells from your spell book if you have ToB. However... you don't need to worry because if you take a potion of genius when you are scribing spells into your spellbook, your intelligence will increase to where you can memorise all spells. Also this helps you not fail when trying to memorise spells.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:06 AM   #8
Nerull
Lord Ao

quote:
Originally posted by gutplumbr:
A couple of questions. Hope they aren't too basic.

First, how do I open the magic door in the temple sewers? I killed the bad guys & discovered a secret door nearby, but my thief can't pick the lock, and my mage has no luck with spells that are supposed to open magically sealed doors. What am I missing?

More importantly, I thought that intelligence for a mage limited the number of spells memorizable at a given level. Now it appears that INT limits the number of spells that can be written in the spell book. Is there any way to delete some spells from the spell book in order to make room for better ones as they become available? I REALLY want to make room for sequencers & other vital spells.

Which brings up a point about spell sequencers. I think I read in the manual that a mage can only have 1 sequencer at a time, I assume (probably a bad idea) that this means only 1 sequencer can be in memory at a time. Correct?

I appreciate the help. ;-}

SPOILERS
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
The key you need for the door is in the Windspear Hills dungeon (it is called the Sewer key, and it is in the encounter right before you hit the big boss monster of the dungeon).

Buy potions of genius to get around the spellbook restrictions (they bump up intelligence by 4 points, and are cumulative). In fact, I stored up as many as I could find/buy/steal, since they also come in useful later when you fight mind flayers.

You can only have one sequencer cast and waiting to be triggered at any given time. You can memorize the spell any number of times, but kind of useless to do that (unless you plan to use sequencer, then create another one after that).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote