Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 02:25 PM   #11
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Pawns getting promoted is actually more common that you might think at first.

It usually happens in the end game where both players only have few pieces left to block the path of the aspiring pawn.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:26 PM   #12
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

it is impossible to surround the king with queens, since that he will be checkmated befor long.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:44 PM   #13
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
When a pawn does get to the end of the board it is almost always turned into a queen with one exception. Occassionally someone may wish to turn it into a knight.
I can think of certain situations in the endgame where one would want to underpromote their pawn to a rook or a bishop, in order to avoid a stalemate.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:10 PM   #14
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Desuma Malevois:
quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
When a pawn does get to the end of the board it is almost always turned into a queen with one exception. Occassionally someone may wish to turn it into a knight.
I can think of certain situations in the endgame where one would want to underpromote their pawn to a rook or a bishop, in order to avoid a stalemate. [/QUOTE]
On a certain setup, promoting a pawn to a knight may give checkmate, while a queen would not.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:23 PM   #15
Chewbacca
Zartan

I love chess! [img]smile.gif[/img] Anybody ever use the 4 move checkmate against a newbie? I remember when my chess mentor first did that to me...

Oh yeah and the GBA chessmaster game is crazy...Your opponents are represented by pictures of little kids, so when the AI kicks your butt it really hurts. [img]tongue.gif[/img] It's my second favorite GBA game.

[ 09-23-2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 09-23-2003, 04:56 PM   #16
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I love chess! [img]smile.gif[/img] Anybody ever use the 4 move checkmate against a newbie? I remember when my chess mentor first did that to me...

Oh yeah and the GBA chessmaster game is crazy...Your opponents are represented by pictures of little kids, so when the AI kicks your butt it really hurts. [img]tongue.gif[/img] It's my second favorite GBA game.
I like chess a lot too! Although unfortunately I cant play as much anymore since school tends to eat up all my time (Im lucky to even be able to get on the board once a day! ). And nobody in my town really likes it so Im kinda left with total n00bs about the game, which is in fact stealing candy from the proverbial baby ....
Old 09-23-2003, 09:04 PM   #17
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

I remember getting taught chess by someone my own age. I got 4 move checkmate'd by him, lost another game learning, and never lost to him again. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, am I the only person who starts out with the safer 4-move checkmate start? The bad thing is that usually the matchs become a bit too repetitive, because you've already seen everything that the other person can throw at you from the beginning.

Also, has anyone here actually used as a common practise to play defensively and just take whatever openings the opponent gives you? I do play that, and it's okay, but not the best.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:05 PM   #18
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've played the four-move checkmate before... generally only works once [img]smile.gif[/img]

Back in high school, I played on the chess team. I recall one match I played which I consider my best game ever. My opponent did not take a piece of mine until the move before checkmate, and taking that piece was his only chance at stalling the inevitable...

*Edit* And sorry, Kaltia -- I didn't realize you were asking a serious question. I thought it was another one of those brain-teaser puzzle thingies that's been going around here

[ 09-23-2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:27 PM   #19
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:

Also, has anyone here actually used as a common practise to play defensively and just take whatever openings the opponent gives you? I do play that, and it's okay, but not the best.
I pretty much play like that. I think it's a good strategy because eventually your opponent is going to make a mistake.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:34 PM   #20
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I remember a game of chess that Dagorion and I had quite some time ago (we were still in primery school). After a series of really big mess ups the only remaining pieces on the board were 2 white bishops and the white king as well as the black king.

Much to my disgust I was the losing side, but I figured if I was going down I was going to waste as much time as humanly possable. So after 10-15 minutes of evading everything he threw at me he made a mistake and I took a bishop. Actually I took the bishop and danced around making fun of the move for a while.
Much to my surprise he made a similiar mistake and I managed to take his second bishop. Thats when I realised we had a stalemate

If I can't win then my opponent isn't going to either [img]smile.gif[/img]