Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2001, 01:34 PM   #1
Khemphill
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I get to the entrance to D'Soto's tower...I kill the undead ronin and when I flip the lever...I hear a windows beep error sound then it freezes up the game. Anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Karen
Khemphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 01:49 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

No but let's go through the check list:

What is your hardware, OS, Memory - are you running in software mode?

Give us all the info you can on your set up (swap files and the whole nine yards) and we might be able to spot something to help.

Other alternative is to send me a copy of your gamexx.sav (Zipped or Rared) and I'll see if I can't get you past the sticky bits. Doesn't always work, but has worked more often than now.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 02:25 PM   #3
Khemphill
Elite Waterdeep Guard

After doing some researching I found that the error I experienced when I was installing the game caused the problem...so I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it...while doing so I gave some thought to put all the great advice I've read here to good use and perhaps start over...is there any way to start over but transfer some items or coins from my old characters to my new? If so how would I go about that exactly? Thanks!

Karen
Old 05-11-2001, 03:19 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Did you save your old game file? If so, just put it back in the Save folder in the C:\Program Files\Activision\WizardsWarriors folder. You should be able to continue your game from your current point.

If you do want to restart, or didn't save your old game, yes, you can transfer items. Just hit "Reset Adventures" from within any city, switch to Valeia, and enter the Inn.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 03:23 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

(congrats on your 1400th post, Saz! )

Resetting adventures is really a fine way to move up in the world. Sort of reminds me of how I played Diablo (1 not 2) - would play until all I could do was die, load up my character with all he could carry, save the game and start again with the same character! Very nice!

Wyv
Old 05-11-2001, 03:28 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Khemphill - meant to say how glad I was that you located the problem!!!!!!

Hurrah!!!!!

(this calls for RED)

------------------
Old 05-11-2001, 03:42 PM   #7
Khemphill
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Argh! I reinstalled the game...and put my old save back in there thinking I'd try again cuz what would be the use of making up new ones and doing it again if it would crash everytime I tried to enter the tower...and it still crashes

Ok not sure what info you need...I'm using Windows 98 have DirectX version 7.0, I did a maximum install...I have an AMD Athlon 600mhz with 256mb ram...I have about a gig available memory left...not sure what you mean when you say swap files though...It's when it's trying to load the new area that I freeze up...game stops but mouse can still move so not sure...if I hit ESC at that point it knocks me to windows.

Karen
Old 05-11-2001, 03:44 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

1400--whew! Wasn't even looking! Gaak, I just got to 1000 two weeks ago! I gotta curb myself. *sigh*

Wyvern, I bet if you were like me, that you did the same thing in the earlier Wizardries...especially Wiz 1: get the characters way up, then create a new scenario, start over, get them way up again, etc.!

-Sazerac
Old 05-11-2001, 03:52 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Karen: it sounds like a corrupted save file, actually, not the game.

You can try zipping it and sending it to Wyvern, like she suggested earlier, and see if she can get you past the bad point. If it really is a corrupted save, though, you'll need to start over.

-Sazerac
Old 05-11-2001, 03:56 PM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

BUT -

If you do have to "start over" - I can at least give your characters some of the equipment they had and any stat adjustments necessary too! Will take a bit of hacking but can be done!

Send me your file and let me see if I can get past your stuck point. If I can't - you can create new characters and I can do the inventory / stat adjustments!

Wyv