Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2001, 06:15 PM   #1
KAR_MOD1
Drow Warrior

just wondering what unique names ppl use for their charc. although in my 1st group i used friends, family and pets, in my second group i decided to make the names up 1. Grunte = Gourk Warrior 2. Emrey = Dwarve Warrior 3. Bella = Lizzords Warrior 4. Kuric = Oomphaz Wizard 5. A'Dria = Elves Priest 6. Rattat = Ratlings Rogue
Old 11-18-2001, 06:51 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I tend to use the names of a bunch of Pookies (stuffed lions (stuffed with donuts)) that we have as well as some names from characters I played in online RPGs (live chat games) many eons ago.

Lothar (fighter type), Gustav (always a thief type), Manfred (usually some sort of mastermind), Spegley (all around great lion), Ma'eldra, Lyrra, Rasil Bathbone (nickname Ratter), Hiroshi, Toshiko.

My husband and I wrote a name generating program years ago (in Pascal!) for when I was running my own online RPG and might need names for NPCs. It came up with some interesting names.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 08:28 PM   #3
Feanor
Dungeon Master

Don't axe me why but for some reason, ever since I was younger, I have always had a wizard/mage named Zygx and a priest/cleric named Q.
Fighters are usually named something like Edge and Pope.
I think these were the names of my first Final Fantasy 1 party...
which was a Fighter, Black-Belt, White Mage, and Black Mage (which of course ascended to Knight, Karate Master, White Wizard, and Black Wizard... OK, like THAT wasn't off topic )
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 10:14 PM   #4
Jason Leonard
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've gone through alot of namechanges, but they were all minor. I had the gist of what I wanted names to be when I made the party, and changed certain letters to make things smoother...

Darkon - Male Dwarf Warrior/Samurai
Saurynne - Female Human Priest/Paladin
Valkas - Male Ratling Rogue/Ninja/Assassin
Lo'maan - Male Omphaaz Wizard/Warlock
Morgar - Male Gourke Warrior/Barbarian/Ranger
Bevelyn - Female Pixie Priest/Monk

I've always been one to try and come up with my own names. Having read MANY fantasy novels, and played many RPG's and DnD adventures...I have a good feel for what kind of names run smooth in fantasy settings but I can still come up with my own original ones every time I create a party for a game. I've thought of writing a program, but there are other programs out there for name generating and I don't know that it's a popular thing. I do have the kind of originality to be able to write a good one though. I just start by saying "what should the first letter be?" then "what would a good sound by for the ending?" "how can i spell that in a fancy way?" "how can i progress from the first letter to the ending in a way that rolls off the tongue but fits the common style of the character's race/background?"
Jason Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 09:09 AM   #5
Marcos The Black
Dungeon Master

Hi,

normally i tend to take names from fantasy books for my dudes, seem to have a lack on inventing names of my own

Female Whiskah Ninja (did you know that this is a name for cat food in germany ) warrior --> Mishrah
Male Elf Warlock --> Matok
Female Oomphaz Warlock --> Vishnu
Female Pixy Warlock --> Tinker
Female Human Samurai --> Brunhilde
Male Ratling Ninja --> Splinter
Marcos The Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 10:46 PM   #6
choking
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The most unique name is calling my Liziods thieves Assspsss and Lilith
The latter is a female and the former is a male.
Old 11-20-2001, 02:44 AM   #7
Dark Savant
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well there not unique but:
Stryder-Human/Paladin Warrior he looks like him
Boromir-Human Warrior/Paladin he looks like em too
Gimli-Dwarven Warrior/Barbarian he looks liek em as well
Legolas-Elven Rogue/Bard he looks a lot like him
Gandalf-Human Wizard/Warlock he does NOT look like him
and Bilbo-Gnome Preist/Monk he looks a bit like a Hobbit

I obviously cant wait for Fellowship of the Ring to come out next month.

DS
Dark Savant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 04:31 AM   #8
Marcos The Black
Dungeon Master

Hi, Dark Savant!

Is it allowed to geth that you´re a fan of Lord of the Rings
Marcos The Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 03:06 PM   #9
Jazzid
Manshoon

Hi! This name business is quite interesting, and I must say that reading all the excellent name suggestions you've posted here kindled my own inspiration for names on my characters. I won't give you a complete name list. Well, in a way I will... my character is called Quaxe - a dwarven little bit of everything fighter, mage, thief, ninja... you name it. For me this choice is a little bit odd... for some reason most of my dwarven names have name containing both an H and a -th combination. For example Gohluth - lots of consonants there. Otherwise i like to have a name suiting the acutal size of the character. A personal favorite is my crazy little mage/paladin which i named Blizzbuzz.

Cheers // Jazzid
Old 11-20-2001, 03:19 PM   #10
Balgin
Elminster

Like Jason Leonard, I too believe that I have a good feel for names for the same reason. I generally make mine up but sometimes I might get bored and do a blatant rip off party like "The Slice Girls" or some other such unoriginal trash. However here are some of my more unusla WW names

Dradan (dwarf warrior)
Maerna(dwarf sorceress f)
Shevine Callisham(elf sorceress f)
Carenis(human barbarian)
Keriad Palmorian (gnome paladin)
Urwena(dwarf warrior f)
Hasrak K'tharn(lizardman)
Berinia(elf thief f)
Gertha Drin(gnome thief/assassin type f)

a "f" in the above list denotes that the character was female. These characters are from four different parties but their all fun to play.