Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2002, 06:10 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

This has to be the worst case of injustice I've ever heard of in recent memory:

Pakistani girl punished with gangrape for brother’s affair.

Multan, July 2: A teenage girl was gang-raped in Pakistan last month as ‘‘punishment’’ meted out by a tribal jury for her brother’s alleged affair with a woman of a higher tribe, police said today.

A panchayat ordered four men, including one of the jurists, to rape the 18-year-old girl on June 22 in Meerwala village, 120 kilometres from here, police said.

District Police Chief Malik Saeed Awan said authorities were informed of the publicly-ordered gang-rape several days after the incident. He said four men took turns to sexually assault the girl inside a room. She was then ordered to return home naked before 1,000 onlookers.

The rape was to avenge the ‘‘insult’’ caused to a family of the Mastoi tribe by the girl’s brother’s alleged ‘‘illicit affair’’ with a woman of a higher social standing. The girl and her brother were from the lower Gujjar tribe.

The panchayat had threatened that all women in the accused’s family would be raped unless she submitted herself to the public gang rape. Awan said police were taking action against members of the panchayat.

Lawyers visiting the tribal area yesterday urged the authorities to prosecute the rapists and the jury.

There are a few more articles here:
http://news.asiaco.com/world/pakistan/

It's hard to believe that this kind of thing goes on in the 21st century.

Mark
Old 07-04-2002, 06:18 AM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Pakistan is completely f***ed up in this respect. Young brides are burned to death so the husbands can remarry and squander yet another dowry... it's considered almost normal there. Many households use cooking devices that are dangerous, the women are clothed in flammable, wide robes, so the men get away with saying it's an accident most of the times. I remember a case where neighbours SAW one of the assholes pour gasoline over his new wife on the balcony and lighting it. While the woman shrieked for help, they just went on with their affairs, and the man got away with the 'accident' excuse. I can't even think of the practises in that country because it makes me literally SICK.
Bastards.
Old 07-04-2002, 06:26 AM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

God, that story almost made me feel physically ill.... That place is unbelievably f***ed up How the hell can they call themselves a civilized nation?
Old 07-04-2002, 06:30 AM   #4
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
God, that story almost made me feel physically ill.... That place is unbelievably f***ed up How the hell can they call themselves a civilized nation?
I think that there is probably a lot of this kind of thing going on around the World. In the more remote areas, this kind of thing probably DOES happen, it just doesn't get the coverage. Pakistan is being watched closely by the World Media lately.

I think rape must be the sickest crime there is.

Mark

(EDIT) Imagine, this post has nothing to do with America, I'm "whining" about another country!

[ 07-04-2002, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: skywalker ]
Old 07-04-2002, 06:33 AM   #5
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:

I think rape must be the sickest crime there is.

Mark

(EDIT) Imagine, this post has nothing to do with America, I'm "whining" about another country!
I couldn't agree with you more, Mark, personally I think that the one person I could kill and still have a clean conscience would be a rapist.

And congrats on the change of theme [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2002, 10:55 AM   #6
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

In this day and age i'm not too suprised, after all, we are quite uncivilized still and civilization itself has alot of maturing to do before becoming truley sentient...