Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2002, 04:45 PM   #1
stopper_4
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've been led to believe that basically everyone in TOB can hit you no matter what,so is there any point to using shields?

My planned SOA paladin needs to know!

Shield + Purifier

OR

Carsomyr
stopper_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:38 PM   #2
Vedran
Lord Soth

Just a question: What's your AC with and without a shield.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:42 PM   #3
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

Shields can come in handy in certain fights, but why use the Purifier, if you're going to use a Bastard Sword use the Foebane!
Old 10-28-2002, 06:01 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

As far as I can tell, only the boss have such powerful THAC0s that render your AC practically irrelevant. That's why one way to go is to not pump your Armor Class, but instead pump your physical resistances. So if you make AC less of an issue, the enemy's THAC0 becomes less of an issue, giving the enemy bosses less of an edge. Also, if you pumped your AC all the way, you'd still have Critical Hits.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:44 PM   #5
Wilbur
Zhentarim Guard

Personally, I've only used a shield once since I Got out of the start of SoA. I find it much more useful to have a two-handed or second weapon equipped.
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 02:02 AM   #6
Kormar the Wanderer
Manshoon

One VERY good reason to use a shield... The shield of Balduran. Makes fights such as those in the Unseeing Eye quest child's play... Also, there are some shields that have a major impact on your AC, whether against melee or ranged attacks. I would say keep one handy in case you need it for a certain fight and dual weild or use a two handed weapon at other times...
Old 10-29-2002, 08:08 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I laugh at a lot of things with the Shield of Reflection.

Shields will enable you to reach -18 to -20 AC. For most of the game, this will mean the enemy needs a critical hit( 5% chance) to even touch you. I would say go for physical resistances against bosses and certain hard-hitting individuals.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote