Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2001, 07:23 AM   #1
biscuitchef
Welcomed New User

For a monk, how should the points be best distributed to the Thieving abilities. Should I max out on Find Traps, Hide in Shadows, Move Silently, or a combination.

Any difference if soloing?
biscuitchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 08:15 AM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

IIRC, a monk is only able to locate traps, not disable them. Might influence your decision...
Old 12-12-2001, 08:23 AM   #3
Ugaya
Manshoon

Finding traps comes without disarming them. The "Stealth Mode" comes without backstabbing multifier.
IMHO both qualities aren't great at all. I never used them. The monk is powerful and versatile enough without these "gimmicks".
Old 12-12-2001, 08:51 AM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ugaya is right - the monks other abilities outweigh his "thief-like" abilities. However, I would probably dump points in hide in shadows first, follow that with move silently and then detect traps. I did use the detect traps a fair bit as a backup.

If you SOLO a monk, then definitely reverse the priority and dump as much as possible into find traps - you won't be able to disarm them but you CAN avoid them and that is half the battle!

By the way, I noticed that there appears to be an error in two of the monks special abilties: the Whirlwind and Greater Whirlwind attacks documented in the manual only give 5 (!) attacks per round / not the 10 listed! Its still an awesome special but just not quite as good as you would think.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 09:10 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

ToB Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Whirlwind and Greater Whirlwind does set your attacks to 10 per round.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote