Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2001, 07:38 AM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

I am posting this here as a last resort before buying new parts for my computer
A few days ago, I walked over to my computer and pressed the ON button and the unspeakable happened.........NOTHING. Nada, zip, not a click not a whirl, nothing at all. The computer was stone dead and I had no explanation for it. I literally mean the on button may as well be just a decoration that doesnt do anything or that the power was swtiched off at the wall (which it wasnt)
At first i thought that one of the cables from the power supply had fallen off or something like that. But I looked inside and everything was as usual
So my question is this.
Do any of you know how this could have happened? Or how to fix it. Because otherwise I am going to buy a new power supply tomorrow and install it. And just to note, the computer had been working PERFECT the night before. Unless someone sneaked into my room and swapped my computer with a dud then I have noooo clue what to do.
And another thing.
ALWAYS remember to turn off the power at the wall when removing the cable from the power supply. 240V is a nasty shock believe me!

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:43 AM   #2
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
I am posting this here as a last resort before buying new parts for my computer
A few days ago, I walked over to my computer and pressed the ON button and the unspeakable happened.........NOTHING. Nada, zip, not a click not a whirl, nothing at all. The computer was stone dead and I had no explanation for it. I literally mean the on button may as well be just a decoration that doesnt do anything or that the power was swtiched off at the wall (which it wasnt)
At first i thought that one of the cables from the power supply had fallen off or something like that. But I looked inside and everything was as usual
So my question is this.
Do any of you know how this could have happened? Or how to fix it. Because otherwise I am going to buy a new power supply tomorrow and install it. And just to note, the computer had been working PERFECT the night before. Unless someone sneaked into my room and swapped my computer with a dud then I have noooo clue what to do.
And another thing.
ALWAYS remember to turn off the power at the wall when removing the cable from the power supply. 240V is a nasty shock believe me!

Are you using a surge protecter/suppressor? If so, I would change that. I would also open the box and reseat the power cords that run from the power supply to the motherboard. You can also change the power cord, its cheaper and easier than changing the power supply. If you do change the power supply, make sure its the same wattage. There is that little switch on the back of it.

I never get shocked cause I'm always grounded!!

------------------
Old 10-17-2001, 07:51 AM   #3
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:
Are you using a surge protecter/suppressor? If so, I would change that. I would also open the box and reseat the power cords that run from the power supply to the motherboard. You can also change the power cord, its cheaper and easier than changing the power supply. If you do change the power supply, make sure its the same wattage. There is that little switch on the back of it.

I never get shocked cause I'm always grounded!!

No I am not using a surge protector tho maybe the computer got a surge and thats the problem
And I already tried all the stuff with the power cable
And I usually DO ground myself but I was feeling particullary dumb that morning obviously
Is there anything else it could be apart from the power supply/cable?

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Old 10-17-2001, 07:56 AM   #4
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
No I am not using a surge protector tho maybe the computer got a surge and thats the problem
And I already tried all the stuff with the power cable
And I usually DO ground myself but I was feeling particullary dumb that morning obviously
Is there anything else it could be apart from the power supply/cable?

Dude, buy a surge protector. Listen to me now and believe me later. I would open it up and re-seat the power cables that go from the power supply to the motherboard and make sure the power button wire is connected to the motherboard.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
    [This message has been edited by Hiram Sedai (edited 10-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hiram Sedai (edited 10-17-2001).]
Old 10-17-2001, 08:16 AM   #5
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

And if it still doesn't work after all that, look into replacing the power button itself before buying a new power supply (unless they only come together). My father's computer did the same thing and all he had to do was buy a new 'on/off' button. Much cheaper if that's all it is.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-17-2001, 08:26 AM   #6
Moiraine
Anubis

Yeah, ditto to what DragonMage said, the nasty on/off button is often the weakest spot of a computer. Trust me, I do work in PC computers manufacturing !

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 10-17-2001, 08:52 AM   #7
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

I just had a full dismantling of my computer and found nothing wrong with it in the slightest. So I will take your v helpful advice and go for an on/off switch and if that fails to work THAN I will get the power supply.
And Hiram, I used to have a surge protector but it got lost when I moved to Aussie about a month ago and I havent got a new one yet. My Bad

------------------

Old 10-17-2001, 04:21 PM   #8
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Don't forget to check the outlet by plugging a nite light in it. Check all connections breakers and fuses. replace the power cord or test for continuity(swap with the monitor power cord is the easiest). Make sure the power button positively clicks to engage when pressed. You may have one of the newer machines with a computer controlled power switch. The way you can tell is that the computer will go through windows shutdown before powering off when you press it to turn the machine off. If this is the case there could be many different things wrong with it.

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 10-18-2001, 02:48 AM   #9
Zbyszek

If you havent buy a new power supply already and there is no progress in turning on you can open power supply. If there is some liquid on the board, if some capacitors are not cylinders but have strange or "ball" shapes it means that they are dead and you better buy new power supply.
Old 10-18-2001, 05:22 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

a word of caution: wear rubber gloves when opening the powersupply or just replacing it, check all the wired cuz one misplaced one is the "kaboom" to your whole motherboard, processor, ram, powersupply and maybe your video card and soundcard (heck thats nearly the whole computer). someone nearly died when fixing the powersupply because he got shocked (i dont know how, my teacher told me before) when it was open. sigh...

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...