Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2000, 03:48 AM   #11
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

I just finished the third book in George R.R. Martins series. Damn its good! Human oriented( no elves or dwarves) Dark(tragedy) fantasy at its best. I also love Robert Jordan's "Wheel of time" series. Shanara series by terry brooks, Peirs Anthony is a fave as well and many others...
Robert Heinleins my Fav sci-fi author ie. "Stranger in a strange land" and "starship troopers",
Also Orson Scott Card( "Enders Game"). If you can get a hold of his first book titled "Treason" its one of the most original stories I've ever read! I'm shocked I have time to play video games so much cause I read alot, not to mention work 45 hrs a week in a music store, roleplay P&P style, plus have a girlfriend and a social life. I guess Ive just made sleep an option part of my life. BOOKS ROCK!!!
Old 12-13-2000, 04:08 AM   #12
Jaxonite

Robert Heinlein: Time Enough for Love, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls and To Sail Beyond the Sunset. Anything by the Grandmaster of Science Fiction. Grok!

Anne McCaffrey: Dragonrider Series, Killishandra Series.

Alan Dean Foster: Flinx series.

Terry Pratchett: Discworld Series.

Larry Niven: Known Space, The Magic Goes Away.

L Frank Baum: The Oz series. (This is what started it all I guess. I saw the movie and had to read the books. After that I was hooked on Fantasy/Sci-Fi.)

Old 12-13-2000, 04:18 AM   #13
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well i read alot of fantasy books, Like Pratchett, Jordan, E. Feist, R.A Salvatore, Hobb. Lots more Eddings and Tolkien.. There are alot of good authors out there. I also like to read H.P Lovecraft, Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman. I also read alot of books concerning the occult and different books concerning truths and ways to understand religions.. And some of the Star Wars books, Dragon Lance series.. and more..

Other than that I also like alot of fan-fiction about different characters, worlds and so on.. I.E I read alot.. when there is time...
Old 12-13-2000, 06:53 AM   #14
bocajab

I love the tolkien serries they where the first fantasy books I read.
H.P Lovecraft I know that name but what books did he write?

Old 12-13-2000, 06:59 AM   #15
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

He is one of the early 20th century (hmm right eh 1900 something) horror and fiction writers. Made to series thats worth mentioning, The Dream cycle and the Cathulu Mythos. Yep, thats the twisted mind behind Call of Cathulu.. Some books really stinks, he isn´t an author that strikes you as an good one through the complete lists of books he has written but some ae really really great! He beats in my book anyway Edgar A Poe..
Old 12-13-2000, 07:03 AM   #16
bocajab

I like Edgar A Poe he wrote some great stuff
thanks I will look into those books, I am allways looking out for good books

Old 12-13-2000, 07:14 AM   #17
Armisael

Yes, good old H.P. Lovecraft. If ever a mind sicker than mine existed, it'd have to be his. He wrote some very interesting books, though. If we're talking classic writers I'd also have thought George Orwell was worth mentioning for 1984 and Animal Farm. Both masterpieces, though probably not your average RPG-lover's fare.

Old 12-13-2000, 08:39 AM   #18
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

HP Lovecraft! I've rubbed his gravestone, maybe it was a bad influence. both he and Poe were excellent writers, creeping the reader differently. Memnoch- BG the book was BAD! a friend who doesn't play CRPG's says it was pretty good so maybe it was the hard to follow storyline that seemed so different from the game. Everyone has some great recommendations! I'll add: Dragon Prince and Dragon Star series by Melanie Rawn
Any book by Mercedes Lackey

I am waiting patiently for the next Jordan book to hit in paperback. I started the series last year under the impression that, with 7 books out already, I wouldn't have to wait to finish the series. Now I'm starting to get the impression he doesn't know how to wrap a story up. Is anyone else growing tired of Jordan's excessive words?
Old 12-13-2000, 10:48 AM   #19
Hektor

I like gritty down to earth stuff, anyone read any David Gemmel? English writer, check out "Legend" or any of the "Waylander" books.....I also Like Raymond Feist although his last trilogy went a bit downhill....I find Tolkien a little long winded, a bit like Stephen King...

Old 12-14-2000, 02:15 AM   #20
Mandrake
Welcomed New User

You can get virtually all Lovercraft's stuff in three omnibus editions!.
Creepy and compelling.

Gemmel is excellent. Check out Morningstar and Knights of Dark Renown for a diffent take on fantasy fiction!!