Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2003, 07:57 AM   #1
Sir Exxon
Zartan

<font color="gold">After reading LotR again, I have started to wonder, who are the strongest of Sauron's servants, and his true favored one?
I am in doubt of whether the King of the Nazgūl or the Mouth of Sauron deserves that title.
The King of the Nazgūl was indeed one of the most powerful beings in the Middle-Earth, as men would flee in panic and fear if he was just anywhere nearby. When he encountered Gandalf during the battle of Minas Tirith, he only stepped back for a moment, and started doubting.
The Mouth of Sauron was the lieutenant and 2nd in command of Barad-dūr. He obviously possessed great sorcerous powers, as he had been able to stay alive for thousands of years. However, when he encountered Gandalf at the Gates of Morannon, he was overwhelmed with fear, and ran back through the black gate.

Anyone?</font>
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
MagiK

<font color="#ffccff">Well I am far from a Tolkien Schollar but, I think that the Lord of the Nazgul was also pre-ring a warlock/witch of some sort. A human with extra power, the Ring, being the greatest of the nine for mortal men would have enhanced his power all the more. All of his other servents were of the lesser types, the "Mouth" of sauron was probably nothing more than a mortal man, with a few bones thrown to him by the big S. The Balrog in Moria may have worked to help his plans but I don't think it was under his command. Also you would have to argue that Saruman a Mair was probably the equal of the Lord of the nazguls.

I am fairly certain that G the white would have been capable of taking out the guy, but that would have ment fooling around with prophecy and so he would have avoided that if he could. In the end, Only a woman and a hobbit could kill him.</font>
Old 02-28-2003, 10:34 AM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
<font color="#ffccff">All of his other servents were of the lesser types, the "Mouth" of sauron was probably nothing more than a mortal man, with a few bones thrown to him by the big S.</font>
<font color="gold">Actually, he was a "Black Nśmenorean", so he is definetly of diviner blood than normal men. So he was a mortal man, yes, but with enough powers to stay alive for thousands of years. </font>

[ 02-28-2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Sir Exxon ]
Old 02-28-2003, 12:09 PM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
<font color="gold">After reading LotR again, I have started to wonder, who are the strongest of Sauron's servants, and his true favored one?
</font>
The strongest servant? How about the ring itself? Since the ring is searching for a way back to its master it could be considered a srevant could it not?

Anyways, I agree with MagiK. The Lord of Nazgūl was Sauron“s strongest servant.

And I seriously doubt that the balrog worked on Sauron“s behalf. Hint: Read Silmarillion.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:27 PM   #5
MagiK

<font color="#ffccff">Naaa I only mentioned the Balrog, because as an Agent of Morgoth/Melkor he/she/it would probably naturally align more with the big S than with Gandalf and co. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Interesting point you make about the Ring....but Im thinking that the sentience of the Ring was actually a part of Sauron himself...not really a seperate entity.....sort of like he had an arm cut off and the arm was trying to get back to him to be sewn back on....like something out of the Evil Dead movies [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>
Old 02-28-2003, 02:54 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

JRRT calls the Lord of the Nazgul Sauron's "Great Captain". He obviously is quite powerful individually, if he can shatter a shield and an arm with one blow of his mace. He led the great army of the Seige of Minas Tirith, and was King of Angmar once, so obviously he was competent militarily and administratively. His fall caused much consternation in the army, though the mysterious "Gothmog (named after the Chief of the Balrogs, no doubt), the lieutenant of Morgul" took command and rallied the troops. The Mouth of Sauron was a mere herald. The Balrog of Moria, a Maiar itself, was doubtless on the same side as Sauron, but I doubt if it recognized Sauron's authority. So, I would agree that the Lord of the Ringwraiths was Sauron's most powerful servant.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:26 PM   #7
Tancred
White Dragon

There's a hint that for the battle at Minas Tirith, Sauron gifted the Lord of the Ringwraiths more power... possibly even giving him back his own Ring. He definitely scores high.

Of the two other most powerful things in Middle-Earth, neither Shelob nor the Balrog really 'served' Sauron. I think, in fact, the Balrog could well have taken Sauron down in a fight, especally without the One Ring. What would have been interesting is if Smaug the dragon had joined Sauron - there's certainly evidence that points to the possibility of such an alliance getting Gandalf to 'set up' Thorin, Bilbo and the rest in a quest that would hopefully destroy Smaug. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-28-2003, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Tancred ]
Old 02-28-2003, 04:30 PM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

I think that once Saruman aligned with Sauron he became his most powerful subject.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:18 PM   #9
Sir Exxon
Zartan

<font color="gold">That's an interesting theory about The Hobbit, Tancred, one that I haven't thought of. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for the Balrog taking down Sauron in a fight, I doubt it. Gandalf defeated the Balrog, and being an Istarģ, he was not allowed to match Sauron in strength. Therefore, he is "weaker" than Sauron, but "stronger" than the Balrog. You do the math. </font>
Old 02-28-2003, 11:45 PM   #10
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
<font color="gold">That's an interesting theory about The Hobbit, Tancred, one that I haven't thought of. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for the Balrog taking down Sauron in a fight, I doubt it. Gandalf defeated the Balrog, and being an Istarģ, he was not allowed to match Sauron in strength. Therefore, he is "weaker" than Sauron, but "stronger" than the Balrog. You do the math. </font>
Don't forget that you have to enter epic mythology into the equation on which is strong. In other words: Yo', the G dawg was da bomb cuz "his heart was pure". Word that!