Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2002, 10:40 PM   #1
morgain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

When I met Mekdawa the first time, my priest didn't join yet Priest's Guild (lack of money), and I was on my way only to complete quest for my 2 warriors. I didn't even know that I was intended to give him something. When my priest joined his guild, my warrior quest was not completed (my party was too weak to kill Scaban Evils). So, I have been tracking Mekdawa up and down to give him this potion, and I suppose I've been successfull because the potion disapeared from my priest's inventory and Mekdawa told me "he needeed this and I had to go to Toad village and bla bla..." Then I completed Toadem quest but when I returned to temple in Valeia, Onabe told I didn't give the potion. Something to do now (except to track again Mekdawa, pleaaaaaaaaase...) ?
I saw in further messages from other players it's not the first time. What about downlawnding (is it the right word??) a patch ? Is the patch making a difference ? Is the game working better ? I play with a game in english for the game doesn't exist in french, or maybe it's too old to find it now : except for some wellknown games which can be found a long time, such as Baldur, the Might & Magic's, or Planescape Torment, most of games - especially RPG - disapeared from stores after 1 year or so ... damned ... (and they are really expensive when they are available).

Is it a single patch ? And if several, are they to install all, in the good rank, I assume ?

Thanks for advices.

By the same way : what can I do with ankhs ?
morgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 05:14 AM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

Yes, this has happened to me sometimes as well. I think the patch solves this problem, it certainly gives you credit for all quests! There is only one patch I think, you can download that one here: Patch. There are several ups and downs with the patch and they are all listed in a post in the best tips thread (page 4). Since this is a zip-file check the name of the files in the archive before extracting them! You can then backup your original files in a different folder and "unpatch" the game later if you don´t like the patch. I don´t use it since there are several advantages in the unpatched version! But you got nothing to loose if you backup the original files! Hope this helps & happy happy gaming!!

ps. I´m adding an explanation/solution to this problem from Radek, who explains this really really well!
Quote:
Moonraker, you are a victim of a nasty bug in the game most probably. The bug consists in the following:
If you take a quest in A, then you take a quest in B, complete the quest from B and take next qest in B, then the quest from A gets lost if it isn't already completed. Examples:
1. If you take the Medakwa quest in the Temple and the Bounty quest in the Town Hall, and then return with some skulls in the Town Hall, the Bounty quest is completed (well, you can bring next skulls later) and you are given the Juba Thobbers quest. At this moment, the Medakwa quest is lost.
2. If you take the Mon the Sculz quest in the Armory and the Medakwa quest in the Temple, finish the Medakwa quest and take the Bring 500 Gold quest in the Temple then the Mon the Sculz quest is lost.
And so on. I guess something like that happened to you. It took it a while until I understood this mechanism of losing quests. Until then, I lost my quests sometimes, too. Moreover, the "unfinished" quest blocks subsequent quests so that they are lost, too. RRRAUGHHHH!

What to do if we don't want lose quests this way? Never change "quest level" until you finish all pending quests from the current "quest level". Examples:
1. Take the Medakwa and Mon The Sculz quests and finish both of them. Only then take another quests from the Armory or the Temple.
2. Take the Medakwa quest. Finish it. Take the Bring 500 Gold quest. Finish it. Take the Mon the Sculz quest. This is OK. The Mon the Sculz quest will not be stretched over "finish a quest and take next quest" event so that it will work.
3. Take the Medakwa quest. Finish it. Take both Mon the Sculz and Bring 500 Gold quests. This is OK and you can finish these quests in any order as long as you do not take subsequent quests in the Armory or in the Temple.
4. Take the Bounty quest in the Town Hall and bring some skulls first. This completes the Bounty quest and gives you the Juba Thobbers quest. Now take other quests. NEVER take the Bounty quest while you have some unfinished quests from elsewhere! Bringing skulls to the Town Hall will give you next quest automatically!

Another mechanism of losing quests consists in an interferring fight. Example:
When you find Medakwa, he begins his lenghtly speech about Ukabu. At this moment, you can be attacked by some monsters. You have to kill the monsters, otherwise, you'll be unable to give the potion to Medakwa. Okay, kill the monsters while Medakwa is trying to explain you what is Ukabu. Give Medakwa the potion. Everything seems to be OK but it is only a hallucination. The interferring fight can cause that the guy in the temple overlooks somehow that you have finished the quest. It can or it can not. When it can and when it can not is a mystery to me.
Rule: Always save game after getting a quest involving a conversation (Medakwa, Thorin, etc.). Try to finish such quests ASAP.

As far as your problem is concerned. Another bug in the game allows your paladin to regain temple levels: The Jathil quest from Ishad N'Ha is buggy. When you finish the quest, then, everytime you enter the temple in Ishad N'Ha, the quest will be "completed" again and you'll be given a promotion to next temple level and XP again. Until you finish the Jathil quest, your paladin will lose 2 temple levels because he cannot get any temple quests in Valeia.
[ 06-14-2002, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]