Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2002, 03:36 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I just had a silly thought, but wanted to ask everyone if it would be worth it. You know how a mage is targeted by the Monsters' AI as their primary target...since that is probably the easiest kill...if they can take out your mage, then they will have an easier fight and have one les body to worry about...especially since the mage has no armor worth anything on...and has few HP. So, my idea...teach my Barbarian Dwarf one spell. Let him have one level of mage and let him be the first person to cast a spell. All the monsters come rushing him, screaming, "Kill their mage!!!", then when they get there,,,all they will find is a very determined dwarf, with his back against the wall...looking real eagerly to see blood.
By then, it would be too late, and as the slaughter began...they would all scurry in fear, only to be sniped by your archers.

Can this theory work?
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 03:38 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I don't think so.

I think the game target the characters with the less hit points, or the worse armor class. I don't think adding a mage level to a fighting class would work.
Old 10-06-2002, 04:41 PM   #3
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Hay L-O why not try it, take an earler saved game and put in a barbarian with at least 1 spell or give him an area effect scroll with enough pop on the bad guys that they all go after him.this may work, in fact I'll try it later today myself.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:16 PM   #4
Gregory Longshanks
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I just had a silly thought, but wanted to ask everyone if it would be worth it. You know how a mage is targeted by the Monsters' AI as their primary target...since that is probably the easiest kill...if they can take out your mage, then they will have an easier fight and have one les body to worry about...especially since the mage has no armor worth anything on...and has few HP. So, my idea...teach my Barbarian Dwarf one spell. Let him have one level of mage and let him be the first person to cast a spell. All the monsters come rushing him, screaming, "Kill their mage!!!", then when they get there,,,all they will find is a very determined dwarf, with his back against the wall...looking real eagerly to see blood.
By then, it would be too late, and as the slaughter began...they would all scurry in fear, only to be sniped by your archers.

Can this theory work?
I tried that in IWD1 with mixed results. I somewhat doubt that the monsters simply target a character based on armor class...but perhaps hit points? At anyrate I haven't thought of trying it with IWD2. But I think that the idea if not 100% flawless works some of the time based on my experience in IWD1. And some is much better than none. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:06 AM   #5
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Manshoon

my two cents on this

i found out if at least 3 close combatants attacked a single of my char -
(s)he is history ...