Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2002, 02:31 PM   #1
eL_PuSHeR
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It seems weapons types aren't that well balanced in IWD2, I mean, there are many types of one weapon and very little of another. For instance:

+ Bastard Swords / Great Swords (many)
+ Longswords (way too few, excluding the Holy Avenger)
+ Maces (medium)
+ Spears (some)
+ Short swords (some little more)
+ Hammers (many)
+ Daggers (many)
+ Quarter Staves (medium)
+ Morning stars (a few)
+ Flails (a few)
+ Bows and Crossbows (many)
+ Axes (medium)
+ Rare / Artifacts (nothing?)

The same applies to armour types. There isn't that much choice. I remember when I played IWD 1, that had that nice random item generator, that made playing somewhat more attractive when looting things.
eL_PuSHeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 02:57 PM   #2
Spikeous
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree, except with the case of Armor. There are tons of different armors. I also think that Axe's are way overpowered, but who am I to say what is what?
Old 10-06-2002, 07:44 AM   #3
eL_PuSHeR
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree with you in the armours issue. But I forgot CLUBS on my list (a few)
Old 10-06-2002, 08:37 AM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

artifact is artifact for god's sake, it is not going to come in dozens. none is acceptable, 1 is your luck.

as for weapons, I dont know why there isnt many long swords around. but I suppose weapon types are varied base on religion, region and history
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 11:05 AM   #5
Magness
Quintesson

I've completed IWD2 once and am just about to start the Fields of Slaughter with my 2nd party.

I don't have much negative to say about the weapons. The random item generator seems to be OK to me thus far. I've downloaded a supposedly complete list of items in IWD2 and there certainly seem to be plenty of every class of weapons.

There are certainly are plenty of light armors. There don't seem to be lots of high grade heavy (i.e. plate) or medium (i.e. chain) armors. However, what there is deos seem to be more than good enough.

eL_PuSHeR, you forgot halberds from your list (although spear and halberds are both "polearms" ). I've come across some nice halberds in my 2nd time thru. Actually, I've been paying more attention to 2handed weapons the 2nd time thru once I learned that all 2handers get a 1.5 STR bonus. My paladin has been using the Halberd of the North for quite a while as his primary weapon. Very nice weapon.

I haven't found there to be many bastard swords. The few I have seen are decent. However, I never bothered with them becase I wasn't about to spend a feat point to become proficient when there's so many other weapons that my tanks could use without having to waste the feat point.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:52 AM   #6
eL_PuSHeR
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes, I forgot halberds, too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am currently at the last battle and I have got one or two very cool halberds by now. Unfortunately I haven't spend that much specialization points on polearms, either.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:50 AM   #7
koz-ivan
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR:
It seems weapons types aren't that well balanced in IWD2, I mean, there are many types of one weapon and very little of another. For instance:

+ Bastard Swords / Great Swords (many)
+ Longswords (way too few, excluding the Holy Avenger)
+ Maces (medium)
+ Spears (some)
+ Short swords (some little more)
+ Hammers (many)
+ Daggers (many)
+ Quarter Staves (medium)
+ Morning stars (a few)
+ Flails (a few)
+ Bows and Crossbows (many)
+ Axes (medium)
+ Rare / Artifacts (nothing?)
you may be forgetting that iwd treats many dissimilar weapons as the same, ie longswords & scimitars are large swords.

also looking at your list the "simple" weapons seem more common, as they should be imo. a balanced party should have little trouble equipping magical weapons & gear.

armour is a different story, from cruising the bis boards, i learned that the heavier armour types were left out by accident, and will be patched back in. so the field is thin in the heavy armour dept.
koz-ivan is offline   Reply With Quote