Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
Lymond
Manshoon

Smiley

I recently started having a problem and I think the cause may be my installing windows xp serice pack 2. Whenever I play the game, the entire group is selected. I can't select individuals to give private commands. As much as I like being part of a group, this has really hurt my strategy. Also, I can't move the cursor to any other part of the map. Any thoughts?

Lymond
Old 12-05-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

What do you mean you can't move your cursor? It has to stay on a certain spot?

Well when did you install SP2? If you just did not long ago and now this has happened it could be possible, although it seems weird. Try reinstalling for a short-term solution.

...Btw, your mouse is plugged in properly...right? maybe a pin is loose which is causing havoc to gaming.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:54 AM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Actually, XP SP2 should make XP *more* game friendly. What do you mean your *cursor*? The mouse pointer? If the mouse won't move, how do you play the game at all?? Do these problems happen in other applications? Let us know, but Ross is probably right, you may need to reinstall SoA.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:09 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

What order did you install SP2 in? That is, before or afteer your games?
The recommended install order for least problems is: format, install XP, install SP2, install mobo drivers, install graphics drivers, install other drivers as needed, install games. Doing it any other way will almost certainly cause obscure problems, even though MS - to my knowledge - deny this.
But, to cover all bases, try in this order:
1) Reinstall the game.
2) Find better drivers for your mouse
3) Try a different mouse
4) Reinstall Windows XP SP2, in the order I mentioned above.

If it does happen in other programs, skip step 1.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:34 AM   #5
Lymond
Manshoon

Sorry about being unclear before, regarding the cursor/pointer. I can move it around the screen that opens up from a save (where my party left off), but can't move it to other parts of the map that I've expored before. When I get to the edges, when it normally begins to shift, the screen just shakes.

SP 2 was a recent update, long after I installed the game. I think I'll just reinstall tonight. Also, btw, I have the latest SOA patch, so I'll reinstall that as well.

I was hoping that there was some game option I had selected by accident or some setting that I changed. Reinstalling is better than losing the game altogether, though.

Thanks for the help.

Lymond
Old 12-11-2004, 09:54 PM   #6
Hank Parsons
Zhentarim Guard

Who here is successfully running BG2 under SP2? I've seen BG2 on lists of games that may be affected by SP2. You may want to look around here also: http://forums.bioware.com/viewforum.html?forum=10
Old 12-11-2004, 10:00 PM   #7
JayS
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Parsons:
Who here is successfully running BG2 under SP2? I've seen BG2 on lists of games that may be affected by SP2. You may want to look around here also: http://forums.bioware.com/viewforum.html?forum=10
I am.
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:57 AM   #8
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

No problems here either, apart from a bit of lag when entering areas, but my computer is one step up form an abbacus anyway!!
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:29 AM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

I refuse to install SP2 because of the problems with various games.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
I refuse to install SP2 because of the problems with various games.
Supposedly, if you do things in the order I listed above, you shouldn't have any problems. I haven't tested this for myself, though.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote