Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2001, 10:52 PM   #1
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Well I am quite bored right now so I think I will write up a rant about music.

The 60's

Well, not the best decade for music, it did produce good bands though. Such as

The Doors- What a band, Jim Morrison is one of the great song writes/poets of our time. Amazing band, and there cover of Alabama Song just made me love them even more!

Led Zepplin- Though they more of a 70's band they started out in the 60's. What can you say anbout them? Jimmy Pages guitar riffs, Robert Plants in-human wailing. Great band. I personally liked there Darker stuff like Kashmir and Dazed adn Confuesed. But all there stuff is great.

Jimmy Hindrex- THE Jimmy Hendrix, thats all there needs to be said.

The 70's

A great time for music IMHO. The start of "Heavy Metal" witch it would go on to be known.

Ac/Dc 70's Version- With Bon Scott they kicked ass. With Brain Jonhson they Kick ass. They are just a kick ass band, that play Kick as rock in roll eveyone knows that. Angus and Malcum rock, so great, so great.

Cheap Trick- I love these guys. I dont know why, its not really my type of music, but I love them. Surrender is one of my all time favorit songs, I mean I lessoned to it so much I have the whole song memorized! Really...I know, its sad [img]smile.gif[/img]

Black Sabbath- The band, the man, the king of metal. One of the greatest guitarts to live. Ozzy and Iomi, you cant beat that, I mean who cant love stuff like "Iron Man" "NIB" "Paranoid" "War Pigs" the list goes on. One of the great bands of all time.

Judas Priest- I never liked them too much, but it was good band.

Van Halen- Yeah so they came out in 79' and wear an 80's , I am labling them under 70's music. A good band, Eddie Van Halen is a great guitarist. Everyone loves them so I wont rant about them here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The 80's

The Decade of Decadence. A exelent time for music and a horrible time for music. This is Why:

Mettlica: Old Mettlica that is! Thes guys rocked the boat, Kirk Hamment, Cliff Burton, James Het Feild, and when they had Dave Mustane, man they RUlED.

Megadeth: Same as Metllica, these guys are Gods. Even if they had several line changes, who cares! I mean, Secrete Place, Peace Sells, Syphoney of Descution. They are great, even there new stuff still kicks ass. Moto Psyco is one of the best songs I have heard out within the last 6 months.

Guns n Roses- Glam or not glam? You decide! I dont think they are, may Axl is but the band isnt. THey wear good, Appitite for Descution is one of the greatest albums ever made. Slash was cool, even if he isnt "the best" he still rocks.

Ozzy Osburne- HEheh, who cant love the guy. The Godfather of Metal, there is no point in telling his greatness because this message board probley could hold all of the stuff I put down! So I will stop now by saying he is the greatest.

Iron Maiden- I aboustley love these guys. I mean I LOVE THESE GUYS. If you have ever heard an Iron Maiden song then you know why, if you havvent, my god, you life is worthless! Great, I mean GREAT muscians. There songs are so visual, so intence, each one tells a story and thats hard to do folks. I could go on but there is no need, these guys ROCK and thats all there is too it.

Ac/Dc 80's Version- Same as 70's but they produced Back n Black in the 80's [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now why the 80's sucked for Music:

New Age and Glam Rock, bah.

The 90's

Like the 80's it was good and bad. The early part was one of THE greast time for music while the mid-end was one of, if not the most, worst times.

Nirvana- I dont know why everyone loves them, there ok, but Pearl Jam is better. I guess if it wasnt for them grunge wouldnt have happened. But still...there not great muscains, there not great song writers, they have some good songs, but there not as good as everyone precives them to be.

Pearl Jam- Now here is a grunge band, Eddie rocks. I mean he just ROCKS. Better Man, Evenflow, Alive, Wishlist. They Rock, you can jsut feel eddies words. One of my favorit bands.

Alice in Chains- Wow, what a dark band, good but dark. Really depressing band. Man in the Box, down in a hole, Roster. Layne Staley and Dave Mustaine have 2 of the most EVIL SOUNDING VOICES IN THE WORLD! And who can forget Jerry Cantrell? I love these guys [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sound Garden- WOOHOO, Chris Cornell, whay can ya say, He can hold a note longer then anyone I have ever seen, and he can also paly the guitar pretty good. Outshine was there best song I think, but they put some otehr stuff good stuff out too.

But the 90's got really shallow about 94 or 95 by putting out Marriah Carry and manufactued music like that. In 30 or 40 years when we look back on the 90's we will want to rember badns like Pearl Jam not Britney Spears. And I will not even go into Rap music.

The New Milleniam

Well, there year Metal is supouse to come back the time when Hard rock is soupouse to hit hard enough to knock boy bands outta the charts.

Hey man the new rock movment is here, and it wasnt what was expected. Sure you got Ozzy coming back witch is utterly cool.

But Slipknot isnt during it for rock. You dont need people barking into microphones about how pissed off they are at everyone.

You need an Iron Maiden or a Nirvana. Music that means somthing.

Not some guys that jump around stage like monkeys that play the saem chords over and over.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:28 PM   #2
Debaser

Excellent little rant, man...
you can forget jefferson airplane and the grateful dead from the 60s...highly influential bands and prolific musicians of their time. as well as amazinlgy badass. doors and hendrix all the way.
70s--yes, zeppelin definitely! jimmy page defined some sh*t as a guitarist, no doubt.
80s-- a travesty of music. maybe the talking heads were halfway decent...late eighties, you can't forget the Pixies. an amazing band.
90's--i totally love AIC and soundgarden, so i completely agree with you. both bands with fierce musical integrity and ones that will be remembered beyond the whole "grunge" fad. many other independent rock bands have kept it real throughout the 90's (too many too list because i'm feeling lazy right now), but lately the entire musical situation has become...disappointing, a huge understatement. everything BLOWS. rap-metal, britney crap spears, just complete tripe and frankly I'M SICK OF IT!
Old 11-06-2001, 11:33 PM   #3
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

quote:
Originally posted by Debaser:
Excellent little rant, man...
you can forget jefferson airplane and the grateful dead from the 60s...highly influential bands and prolific musicians of their time. as well as amazinlgy badass. doors and hendrix all the way.
70s--yes, zeppelin definitely! jimmy page defined some sh*t as a guitarist, no doubt.
80s-- a travesty of music. maybe the talking heads were halfway decent...late eighties, you can't forget the Pixies. an amazing band.
90's--i totally love AIC and soundgarden, so i completely agree with you. both bands with fierce musical integrity and ones that will be remembered beyond the whole "grunge" fad. many other independent rock bands have kept it real throughout the 90's (too many too list because i'm feeling lazy right now), but lately the entire musical situation has become...disappointing, a huge understatement. everything BLOWS. rap-metal, britney crap spears, just complete tripe and frankly I'M SICK OF IT!

Ah well, every decade has its crappy music, but I mean this is jsut SO FAKE.

They dont write there own music.

They dont play there own instruments.

They dont carogrpaph (witch dosent take talent anyway) there won veidos.

There Pupets!!
Old 11-06-2001, 11:54 PM   #4
Moni

A tidbit of trivia for you.
Do you know who sang the National Anthem at the Arizona Diamondbacks first-ever game?
Alice Cooper,
Rob Halford
Dave Mustane

I missed it!
That was the only time I ever regretted not watching baseball!

The 60's rocked, really they did! I remember them! Really I do!
*chuckle*
I am just too tired to pull out names of great bands at the moment.

I am surprised you didn't mention KISS! Thank you, they sucked!

Aerosmith rocked then and rocks now. One of the few groups of Old Timers that has been able to keep up with the times.

Long Live AIC!

Old 11-07-2001, 12:30 AM   #5
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

You named a lot of great bands, but I feel you missed the boat in some areas. The 60's rocked. There is nothing more you can say. Alas I wasn't there, but without the groundwork and talent in this decade we would have nothing now. All good stuff in the 70's too. The only thing wrong with the 70's was the start of the disco dark ages. I don't know what the hell was up with that, but it's not music. I think you're wrong with the new age thing in the 80's though. Depeche Mode, Faith No More, The Cure, Oingo Boingo... There are tons of great "New Age" bands in the 80's that were extremely talented. Everything else I more or less agree with except I would like to make special note of my keen hatred for Nirvana and grunge rock. I salute Tool for writing "Hey Man Nice Shot" in honor of the late Curt Kobain.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 11-07-2001, 12:43 AM   #6
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
You named a lot of great bands, but I feel you missed the boat in some areas. The 60's rocked. There is nothing more you can say. Alas I wasn't there, but without the groundwork and talent in this decade we would have nothing now. All good stuff in the 70's too. The only thing wrong with the 70's was the start of the disco dark ages. I don't know what the hell was up with that, but it's not music. I think you're wrong with the new age thing in the 80's though. Depeche Mode, Faith No More, The Cure, Oingo Boingo... There are tons of great "New Age" bands in the 80's that were extremely talented. Everything else I more or less agree with except I would like to make special note of my keen hatred for Nirvana and grunge rock. I salute Tool for writing "Hey Man Nice Shot" in honor of the late Curt Kobain.

Faith No More was a New Age Band? I dont know if I would put them under that.

Tool wrote that? I thought it was Filter for soem rason.

Moni:

IT WAS DAVE MUSTAINE!! I know that cause he lives in Arizona.

If it wasnt him then I dont know who.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:18 AM   #7
Moni

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:

Moni:

It was all three of them.
Alice Cooper is from and still lives in Phoenix.
I don't know where Rob Halford fits into the mix but that had to be a helluva scene, the three of them singing our National Anthem! I STILL regret missing it!

Old 11-07-2001, 12:28 PM   #8
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

quote:
Originally posted by Moni:

It was all three of them.
Alice Cooper is from and still lives in Phoenix.
I don't know where Rob Halford fits into the mix but that had to be a helluva scene, the three of them singing our National Anthem! I STILL regret missing it!

Ahhhh, Ok I thought it was a multipul choice thingy, I see now that you said it was al three in the first post. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yeah I knew Alice Coper lived tehre now that you mention it, seems like I heard that somwhere else too.
Old 11-07-2001, 12:47 PM   #9
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:

Faith No More was a New Age Band? I dont know if I would put them under that.

Tool wrote that? I thought it was Filter for soem rason.

Moni:

You know, you're right; it was Filter and not Tool. I really do group Faith no More with all the new age music though. It was all of a time period, you know?
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 11-07-2001, 01:31 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Grand-Ranger:
I agree 100% with every last thing you said! Back in the day, guitarists wer creative and their music was awsome! The lirics meant something!
Now...all you have are a bunch of fools, playing chords instead of really working to make a good song. Chords! Nothing that any 14yr. old could not do.

By the way...Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani = [img]smile.gif[/img]