Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Last year at school there was a year 11 guy who was given permission to install an old version of Unreal Tournament (I don't know how many there are, or which is which). At lunchtimes, he could bring in some of his friends to the computer rooms and start playing each other over the school's LAN.

Well, those people have left now, and now I'm the one with permission to install a game. The question is, which one?

I doubt we would be allowed more than three games, so let's look at it as a maximum of two. If we do install two games, they would have to be smaller games compared to installing one larger game.

Two smaller games I am thinking of installing are Doom and Soldat. Does anyone know any other smallish games that can support LAN multiplayer?

I don't have Unreal Tournament. In fact, I don't think I have any games like that which the school's computers would be able to cope with - remember these school computers haven't got super-specs! (So no Counter Strike: Source) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Oh, and I'd be willing to buy a new game if someone recommends it.

Oh, fiddlesticks... this goes in Misc. Games, doesn't it? :embarrassed: Sorry, could someone move it? Thanks.

[ 01-31-2005, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Jaradu ]
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I've heard Quake 2 is good for school LAN play. Maybe the original MoH? Or something such as Rogue Spear?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Counter Strike: Condition Zero. It runs on my laptop, it'll run on the school computers. Guaranteed.

Oh, and we did that at our school, too...

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Try starsiege: Tribes. I know the first version has been released as freeware following the demise of Dynamix, but I am not too sure about the second version though. The first version is simple and fun to play and the installation program is only about 110 MB.

Other than that, I would suggest Diablo 1 or 2.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Starcraft, Aliens VS. Predator.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Final Doom should work well for ye old school shooteriness, since the multiplayer features are eetup in windows.

One of the mid period Need For Speed games for NFS III: Hot Pursuit was fun at the last LAN party I attended. Consider other racing games too like Carmegeddon if you prefer to mix racing with violence.

I'd also heartily reccomend Warcraft II: Battle Net Edition. My friends and I still play this online with our own made puds. It supports CoOp style maps too, if you get sick of killing each other. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm hoping to have a LAN with some friends again soon aswell!

Cheers,
Cerebrodragon
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:37 PM   #7
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Anyone here play CS Source on the Internet? Let me know, I'll kick all your asses
Old 01-31-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

CS:CZ and quake 3 run on ours, just don't tell admin that...
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:51 PM   #9
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Thanks for all your suggestions so far. Suggested by Paladin2000, I'm currently downloading Starsiege: Tribes.

Ilander, I thought about installing Counterstrike/Conditionzero, but I don't think I would feel too comfortable putting my Steam account on the computers.

Diablo 1/2 are too large IMO
My friends wouldn't be interested in RPGs
I prefer shooters to drivers

After considering the others, I'm going for Starsiege: Tribes because it's free. But just because I'm downloading it, doesn't mean its my final choice. Feel free to keep suggesting.

Beaumanoir, come on my clan's CS:S server. I can't remember the IP at the moment, I'll try and find it for you later. My clan, [MC], is huge - over 700 members spread over 7 or 8 games. The busiest game [MC] is involved in is Call of Duty, but we support others like MoHAA, Freelancer, America's Army. We literally only started supporting CounterStrike days ago, so the CS:S server is sometimes full of bots. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Okay Paladin, a question about Starsiege: Tribes -

First of all, I'd just like to say that if I go ahead and choose this game, we are going to have so much fun at school! I can't wait to frag my mates.

Anyway ( [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), I was wondering how you set up a LAN with it. I've looked through the options, but I can't seem to find anything relating to creating a LAN. I did create a server, but I think that was an internet server rather than a LAN. Does this matter? Can other people playing the game just join as if they were joining an internet game, but play as if it were LAN?