Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 12:15 AM   #21
D*Ranged

Quote:
Originally posted by Annatar:
quote:
Originally posted by D*Ranged:
Sold my old P3 PC. (Sold just the case, not monitor or printer)
I got a great deal from one computer shop though...around $1000 I can go for AMD XP 1800+ CPU with all-in-one motherboard (Onboard Graphics and Sound), 512MB DDR RAM, CD-RW and DVD-ROM (Separate), 40GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM (2MB FSB), Win XP Pro with MS Office XP Pro (CD included), ATX case with 350W Power Supply, with typical FDD. Nothing to complain really...just that I have no job right now and job search may take a while...
Don't wanna burst your bubble or something but, that deal is just a rip-off, for that money you can get my system (look at the specs.) easy.

Compare prices and keep your eyes open for good deals (not like this one) ...
[/QUOTE]I live in NZ, so the money I was talking about was NZ dollar. Sorry I didn't point that out in the first place...
Old 09-09-2003, 05:06 PM   #22
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Lothar:
quote:
- 2x Maxtor 120 GB 7200 RPM Liquid Bearring 8MB Cache
Daaaamn! That's some mighty fine HD space. [/QUOTE] I'm even planning on getting a controller card and place another 2x 250 gig harddrives beside it ... I love enough working space you know [/QUOTE]Dude...you are clearly insane...
Old 09-09-2003, 05:14 PM   #23
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Hm...I need advice on graphics cards too...anyone know where I can get a Radeon 9700 pro or GeForce 4 4200 Ti for a decent price (this may be stretching a little but UK £ preferably, as I don't wanna pay import tax...)
Old 09-09-2003, 05:50 PM   #24
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Hmm, you nvidea guys are true to the core. ATI has fixed there compatability issues ions ago. Top game machines run ATI, but you guys are still crawling after nvidea, for what? Another tumbling start like the new FX series? With money no problem buy whatever floats your boat. But a well price reduced ATI 9700 will spank 'most' new nvidea cards, and all of the GeForce series.

Felix
For performance, go for ATI. But check the NWN tech support forum if you want to see just how well those compatability issues have been resolved.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:06 PM   #25
Gammit
Elminster

FYI: I'm running an ATI 9700 Pro, and have no problems with NWN. I know that the 9700 was not one of the cards listed as potential problem-causers, but I thought I'd add that this particular card works quite well.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:33 PM   #26
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I am a GeForce person.

ATI beats GeForce look at here

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/..._guide-12.html

(Read throught the next few pages there.)

Sorry the specs say they don't. Why confuse hard nubers?

So it must be that ATI beats GeForce price wise. So go to here www.pricewatch.com

(Click on Video cards.)

Humm... A Radeon 9700 Pro for $265 or a GeForce FX 5900 for $238. Did not the GeForce FX 5900 beat the 9700 Pro in the test above? I am confused. How is more expensive and slower better?

The bottom line is if you really like ATI go with the most expensive ATI you can buy and not kill your bank account. If you really like GeForce go with the most expensive GeForce you can and not kill your bank account. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere

I think it is getting warm in here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-09-2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Old 09-10-2003, 01:48 AM   #27
D*Ranged

Even better deals offered at an unexpected place. [img]smile.gif[/img]

For NZ$1247 I can buy a case with Athlon XP 2500 Barton system that has nForce2 Chipset (Yeah, I know it aint no Ti 4200 or SB Audigy but it's handful for around 3-6 months, you know! ), 256MB DDR (PC2700), 80GB HDD, CD-RW/DVD combo, 300W PSU (This, along with RAM, are liable for replacement in a not-so-far away future...I want 512MB to begin with and I have a feeling as soon as I get a video & Sound card I will replace it with 400W+ PSU then give the PSU to my landlord who has P3 533mHz, he'll appreciate it), Windows XP home edition OEM with others like Norton Antivirus 2003 OEM (3 month update), openoffice 1.0...

Oh, and mobo does have AGP 8X...
Problem is, I haven't got a job/money yet...
Old 09-10-2003, 11:47 AM   #28
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

UM the nForce2 is not a video card. It has nothing to do with video. Look here for more info.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/mobo.html

The nForce, nForce2 and nForce3 are motherboard chipsets. Like the Intel 845 or SIS 746. That is why there is an 8X AGP slot on the motherboard. Most motherboards that have built on video cards do not have a AGP slot.

Granamere

[ 09-10-2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Old 09-10-2003, 12:27 PM   #29
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
- 2x Maxtor 120 GB 7200 RPM Liquid Bearring 8MB Cache
Daaaamn! That's some mighty fine HD space. [/QUOTE] I'm even planning on getting a controller card and place another 2x 250 gig harddrives beside it ... I love enough working space you know [/QUOTE]Dude...you are clearly insane... [/QUOTE]You can never have too much disk space [img]smile.gif[/img] (.5T myself)
Old 09-12-2003, 01:44 AM   #30
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Granamere:
I am a GeForce person.

ATI beats GeForce look at here

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/..._guide-12.html

(Read throught the next few pages there.)

Sorry the specs say they don't. Why confuse hard nubers?

So it must be that ATI beats GeForce price wise. So go to here www.pricewatch.com

(Click on Video cards.)

Humm... A Radeon 9700 Pro for $265 or a GeForce FX 5900 for $238. Did not the GeForce FX 5900 beat the 9700 Pro in the test above? I am confused. How is more expensive and slower better?

The bottom line is if you really like ATI go with the most expensive ATI you can buy and not kill your bank account. If you really like GeForce go with the most expensive GeForce you can and not kill your bank account. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere

I think it is getting warm in here. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Geez, be for real dude. If your gonna post links at least post one with recent instead of ancient history in them.

This link is current, and will lead to to more current stuff.

http://maximumpc.com/ranking/rankings2.html

Sadly, I don't see a single nvidea card in any of the categories.

It's getting mighty quiet around here!

Here is the latest from tom's, current mind you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/business...911/index.html

Ouch, that really says a lot.

Shh, did you hear that? That was the sound of nvidea R&D sneaking out the back door.

Felix

[ 09-12-2003, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.