Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2004, 10:55 AM   #171
Sigmar
Unicorn

I'm with Prophet, thats a poor generalisation Variol.

What does having a "strong-will" have with taking up smoking or having a drink? Admittedly it is an appropiate argument in the case of peer pressure, but come on, to claim that EVERY person who drinks/smokes does so because they are weak willed and succumbed to peer pressure at some point in their lives...think about it.

People are curious, it's human nature, so yes many people will smoke and drink to simply "see what its like". Some people grow up in an enviroment where drinking and smoking (examples) is the norm so they see nothing inherently wrong with these acts. Sometimes they don't appriciate or fully understand the consequences associated with drinking etc.

Whatever, the bottom line is that some of the most strong-willed people that I know happen to be smokers, and the fact that they smoke shouldn't automatically designate those same people "weak willed" or simply weak in character...AND that by not smoking you're not by default a stonger person than someone who does.

Beaumnaoir and Blind_Prophet are right.

BTW-Not a smoker, never smoked, might have mentioned this already but I don't care.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:05 AM   #172
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Fair enough, but didn't at least a small part of you feel like you were fitting in, or maybe a little bit more mature, since you were only a kid?

It's no different than people who drink, join chuches, or worse, cults or other social groups. The need to belong is very very strong. Many people have committed suicide because they didn't fit in, were picked on, or felt they had no place in society.
Back when my parents smoked the health risks were no as well know as today. My parents would both love to quit but don't have the willpower. Young people today know, but still start. I really feel sad for them, but it's still strongly social. We have about 1000 people where I work and every one of them go in groups, not individually for a smoke break.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #173
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Thanks Sigmar, well worded. I know I'm just too passionate about the subject because of my weakness to cig smoke. If smokers would have the courtesy of not smoking right by the mall door in groups and staying the required 16' away, for example, it wouldn't even bother me so much. But they gotta stand right under the sign by the door, almost as a way of saying, the heck with that!

Sorry Sigmar, I just wanted to add: Have you ever been offered a cig? If you have and you said no, even if for a split second you had pause, I'm sure felt pretty good about saying no, right?

[ 12-04-2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 12-04-2004, 11:36 AM   #174
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:

Sorry Sigmar, I just wanted to add: Have you ever been offered a cig? If you have and you said no, even if for a split second you had pause, I'm sure you felt pretty good about saying no, right?
Only because I didn't succumb to peer pressure, not because I think I'm better than the other guy because I didn't smoke the cig, only because I'm glad I stuck to my personal beliefs Variol. I don't think any less of my friend for having offered me the cig, I don't see any reason why I would do.

He/they were just being polite, but I'm not going to compromise my personal beleifs by smoking the cigarette so I could "fit in".

[ 12-04-2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]
Old 12-04-2004, 11:41 AM   #175
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:

Sorry Sigmar, I just wanted to add: Have you ever been offered a cig? If you have and you said no, even if for a split second you had pause, I'm sure you felt pretty good about saying no, right?
Only because I didn't succumb to peer pressure, not because I think I'm better than the other guy because I didn't smoke the cig, only because I'm glad I stuck to my personal beliefs Variol. I don't think any less of my friend for having offered me the cig, I don't see any reason why I would do.

He/they were just being polite but I'm not going to compromise my personal beleifs by smoking the cigarette so I could "fit in".
[/QUOTE]Right, but do you think there are many people who would sacrifice their personal beleifs in order to fit in? Or even to give in order not to make your friend(s) feel belittled?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:49 AM   #176
Sigmar
Unicorn

"Right, but do you think there are many people who would sacrifice their personal beleifs in order to fit in?"
Yes, those are people who succumb to peer pressure, I'm not disputing that.

"Or even to give in order not to make your friend(s) feel belittled?" I respect my friends decisions and they respect mine, if we had any problem otherwise we would bring it up and discuss it. Friends shoudln't have to compromise anything for one another. A real friend would understand and respect your beliefs.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:58 AM   #177
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
"Right, but do you think there are many people who would sacrifice their personal beleifs in order to fit in?"

"Or even to give in order not to make your friend(s) feel belittled?" I respect my friends decisions and they respect mine, if we had any problem otherwise we would bring it up and discuss it. Friends shoudln't have to compromise anything for one another. A real friend would understand and respect your beliefs.
I <3 sigmar
Old 12-04-2004, 11:59 AM   #178
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:

Yup, and a friend wouldn't even ask 'cos they would know what your feelings are on it. I know when I was a teen nobody would even ask me, they just knew. And in those days, smokers seemed to respect non-smokers more. Maybe they're just being squeezed too much now, specially in the pocket book! $10 a pack around here!

My father does have a great amount of respect for me. He'll go outside or not even have one if I'm around.

..funny thing is, my character "Variol" DnD halfling would never be without his pipeweed.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:20 PM   #179
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I have refused cigarretes numerous times in my life. Being a large goer of music venues, it happens all the time.

The funny thing is, if there is one smoker in a clean place, it annoys me slightly, but if i'm in a very smokey place in general, it doesnt bother me. I must adjust.

In conclusion, i'm right. Because I rule.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:24 PM   #180
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Funny, I seem to find that too? I notice it more when I get out 'cos I stink.