Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #161
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I am relieved that all the London-based IW folks are fine.

Religion had nothing to do with these attacks, just like religion had nothing to do with 11 September 2001 or the bombing attacks in Spain. Never forget that "Islamic terrorists" have very little to do with Islam; rather, they cloud their rhetoric in pseudo-religious babble when all they really want to do is blow s*** up and kill people.

The timing also had nothing to do with the Olympics, but it did have a lot to do with the G8. Detonating explosive devices near political leaders tends to get a lot of attention...or divert attention away from something else.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #162
mad=dog

Whatever you say I think these attacks are pathetic. There are 4-5 million people in metropolitan London and 50 gets killed. It's really nothing to be afraid of. They completely fail to leave an impact on me. Which is good in a sense as their intention is not to kill, but to threaten.
That is not to say that I am not sympathetic to the ones injured or killed. Just as I am sympathetic to those killed or injured in biking accidents, which by the way is more than the casualties from terror attacks.
Through logic Copenhagen must be next. Actually I figured they would have done Copenhagen during the crown princes wedding, but they didn't. See they don't have initiative nor the priviledge of choice. All they can do is load a few bombs on public transportation and hope for publicity.
Herostratus I call your bluff. You will not earn fame through infamy from my side.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #163
Chewbacca
Zartan

Sucks.

This type of event is practically a tri-weekly occurence in Iraq these days. So while it is noteworthy that it occured in London, it is not new or even really unexpected.

I must admit to feeling a bit numb. When everyday it seems like the news reports somebody, somewhere has been blown up by a bomb. Eventually such events grow weerily accustom. I guess that still beats not caring in the first place.

My heart still goes out to the victims of violence.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:26 AM   #164
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
I am relieved that all the London-based IW folks are fine.
Ditto
Quote:

Religion had nothing to do with these attacks, just like religion had nothing to do with 11 September 2001 or the bombing attacks in Spain. Never forget that "Islamic terrorists" have very little to do with Islam;
I have to disagree, the deeper radical muslims, islamofascists, islamists, whatever label you wish to apply, get in their studies of islam and it's strictures, traditions, and rules, the more likely they are to participate in such behavior. You've much less to worry about from the man running the quicky-mart that was born in Jordan but never goes to mosque, than you do from the man with a phd in "islamic studies" that forbids music, dancing, and singing (A man deeply involved in trying to get to the essence of his religion). I don't know how many times I've read about prisoners at GTMO, or other captured militants whose families said they never expected it because the person was deeply religious.

What was the line in the Bible, "Ye shall know them by their fruits" Matt 7:16, Unfortunately we've been seeing exactly what the fruits are for the last 1400 years.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #165
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
My best wishes to all

Just an observation I made from watching the news all last night was the calmness of the people of London and the supurb actions of the emergancy services, a credit to one all. I think (red)Ken Livingstone (the Mayor) is right when he talks about the best way to show these scum that the British will not be bullied into submission is for things to get back to normal ASAP.

Once again best wishes to those back in blighty
Good point mate.

I am so proud to be a Londoner at the momment, proud of the people I work with who made it in to work, proud of my 20 year old stepaughter, who despite being offered the day off on friday, went to work on the underground, passing through Kings X, scene of one of the bombs on her way, proud of our emergency services, who reacted so fast, with little thought for themselves, proud of the everyday Londoners, involved in the bombs, who stayed to help others who were worse off than themselves.

Just proud of the spirit of this city and it's people, Black, White,Christian , Jew , Muslim, Hindu, sikh, Who are all in this together, and have the same message to the people that did this..
F**K YOU, IF YOU THINK YOU WILL BEAT US, WELL YOU JUST DONT KNOW US!!
Lanesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #166
Lavindathar
Harper

Once again it's been said that we will never be beaten.

Very true.

But, I also have to say again that we will never beat them. This will go on.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #167
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:

But, I also have to say again that we will never beat them.
Great attitude, Londoners everywhere are giving up as we speak!
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #168
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
quote:

Great attitude, Londoners everywhere are giving up as we speak! [/QUOTE]Run for the hills!! or a least parliment hill , for a nice day out.
Lanesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #169
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
quote:

Great attitude, Londoners everywhere are giving up as we speak! [/QUOTE]It's not a pleasant statement, but it is a realistic one. As many attacks as police can prevent one will eventually slip through, as did the one that is the topic of this thread, I don't think they one this one simply because of the way Londoners reacted, They (Londoners) picked up the pieces, they didn't panic, they didn't riot, They are simply going on with their lives, and that is in fact the best way to defeat them. If they can't strike terror or change the way you live your life then they have failed.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:36 PM   #170
mad=dog

From my point of view Englishmen and thus also Londoners have been used to the shadow of terrorism from the militant IRA days, which by my reckoning is 1920-2000. So a nation that has had to deal with the posibility of terrorism for 80 years are by circumstances pretty damn difficult to rattle.
My initial notion has only grown stronger since the day of the attack. This is really pitiful considering we are dealing with what is thought to be the supreme terror organisation. Is this really all they can accomplish?
I concur with the observation that this is simply an attack the slipped through the intelligence screen. We won't see anything of WTC magnitude again. They have no initiative and cannot call the shots. They have to operate with independant terror cells meaning they are incapable of forming a strategy. They are forced to seize targets of oppotunity.
We'll have to deal with this, but honestly I don't find it altogether that difficult. We have to deal with hurricanes, traffic accidents, stress and polution as well. It is not something extraordinary.