Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2001, 01:43 PM   #1
Raze
The Magister

Having read the numerous posts about party members,
I havn't seen any including Her'dalis.
Is he really that bad?
(have to admit that I havn't used him either)

Old 06-18-2001, 01:49 PM   #2
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

He's pretty bad. His stats aren't terrible (except the 9 con), but he is the worst type of bard: a blade. His battle song never improves, he is stuck with very few spell memorization slots, can only cast level 6 spells at max, his lore is half, his pick-pocket score is one-quarter of a normal bard, and even with the offensive spin, his THAC0 is pitiful. He is dead weight.

If he were any other type of bard, he would be much more useful, IMHO.

------------------

"This place will be your tomb."
Old 06-18-2001, 01:50 PM   #3
Ratweed
Manshoon

Well hes a great support charecter thats about it he has upto lvl six mage spells and he has a pretty good offensive spin ability but his hp is so low and he seems to get hit so often its really not worth it
Old 06-18-2001, 01:54 PM   #4
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

Well, I heard that with right spellup, like blurr/mirror image/stoneskin/improved haste/Fireshield, he becomes quite a formidable force, but I haven't checked myself.
Old 06-18-2001, 02:04 PM   #5
Glycerine
Manshoon

I never use him myself. I've tried a few times but he always gets his butt kicked pretty bad.

Glycerine
Old 06-18-2001, 04:58 PM   #6
Sigmar
Unicorn

Ahem, NALIA!

------------------
Sigmar has only one foe,
and he is Tiax!
Old 06-18-2001, 05:23 PM   #7
ravensong
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That and he is even more annoying than Anomen. I dropped this guy quicker than Cernd, who I also found utterly useless... I really wanted to like Cernd but it was a major effort just keeping him alive.
Old 06-18-2001, 05:23 PM   #8
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Nalia, Imoen(Only used her two times out of 10), Haer'Dalis(Used him once), Korgan(Once), Edwin(Once), Viconia(Once), Yoshimo(Never), Mazzy(Never, but next time I am going to play BG2 I'm going to use her), Cernd(Never).
Old 06-18-2001, 09:15 PM   #9
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Actually, I think Blades are the best bards (because there not really bards).

Strap on a hill giant str. girdle (or better) - needed to increase hit and damage. Or alternativly the constitution girdle, but you won't really need it because he won't be hit that often with:

stoneskin & mirror image (especially higher in level) - you won't touch him (Mirror Image is way to powerfull).

His bigest prob. (beyond hit/damage & con.) is his inappropriate wepon choice. The dude should have been dual-wielding Katanas (Celstial Fury & Zerth Blade), his ability prof. (shortsword to katana) can be modified in ShadowKeeper.

spoiler:

You also need his armor which you get when go on the planar prison quest after bringing back the gem back to the playhouse. Combine this with the Cloak of the Sewers (in the sewers).

His Offensive Spin is beter than a Kensai's Kai. Don't put boots of speed on him as any type of haste interferes with his Offensive Spin. (I went with boots of phasing, despite the curse, for the add. drop in AC. This works surpisingly well with a character that won't be hit because of magic and a character that is using Celestial Fury - jumping from one creature to another and stuning them for others in your crew to clean-up.) In addition, as another tactic, you can use a freedom ring (which conflicts w/ boots of speed) and shoot Web.

He can use the harp of pandemonium (which is awesome). There is also another good harp in the planar prison as well.

His THAC0 does get quite nice by the end of the game w/ exp. cap removed. (I think it was close to negative but I'm not sure, and I also had 7 Offensive spins to use & a lot of spells)

His Character is annoying for 2 reasons: 1. like Anomen he was generated as a love intrest and so he often refers to your character (male or female) as a bird (which is insipid); 2. he is also a Doomguard Entropy philosophy type from Torment & most people, including the other char.s, have no idea what he is talking about.

He causes real prob. w/ your char. (if male) and your love intrest w/ Arie (if your gettin-it-on w/ her).

Perhaps his most underated talent is picpocketing oppents b4 attacking (leaving them w/ no wepons to attack). Hmmm, just thought of a use for the defensive spin - get up close to your opponent do the defensive spin (when you run out of magic protection) and steal him blind (don't know if it will work).
Old 06-18-2001, 09:21 PM   #10
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

There is just one NPC I never use( other than the first playthrough) - and that is the inscrutable Yoshimo. Yoshi's just a great character though. Generally I run my own PC thief based character.

(As if you didn't know. )

Haerdalis is insufferable. Man, I kid you not, he's INTOLERABLE. After hearing his "Ode to Aerie" I personally backstabbed his sorry behind into chunky dogfood. Happenned to get me a Critical hit to boot!

"A solid hit!"

Ahh. memories.