Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2001, 09:26 AM   #1
Boyo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm using my characters from the original IWD and is it just me or is this game harder then Hell?? The first fight of the game almost wiped me out and every fight on the burial isle is ridiculously hard. I like a challenge, but those drowned undead are brutal. I end up running around just shooting them with arrows cause they waste me so fast...and my weakling thief misses 9 out of 10 backstabs.
I have the game set to normal difficulty, but IWD wasn't nearly this hard. Any ideas on why or suggestions??
Thanks
Boyo
Boyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 12:02 PM   #2
Lillie
Dungeon Master

Yeah, those drowned dead sure lay the smack down

When I've run into packs of them, I basically have three strategies that have helped:

1) TURN UNDEAD. Nothing like making them flee so you can attack their swollen backsides

2) Area-of-effect spells: Curse, Entangle, Malison, Slow. Anything to weaken their attacks.

3) Summoned creatures, especially fire elementals. Let them take the beating!

Just finished the Burial Isle last night, I hope that's the last I'll see of those critters!
Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 03:09 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

It gave me a run for my money as well, until I used a few cheat codes and gave myself a few extra items...hehehe. My thief was raining down some powerful, fiery arrows, and since I had over 1,000 of them, I didn't mind using them. Even then, I still had to work hard to stay alive. (My levels remained between 9-12)

------------------

Larry, ??? of the OHF
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 12:27 AM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Try not to get any character ahead too much of the party....last thing you want is to have 5 drowned dead chasing after you. Take out the wailing virgins ASAP, they cast emotion spells on your party which make them sitting ducks for drowned dead. I've found that fire spells (fire ball, flame arrows, or even potions that blows up into fireballs) does decent damage to them, same as Abi-Dalzim Horrid Wilting (but keep your party member out of the area when you cast this spell, unlike in BG2, this also DAMAGES ppl in your party).

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote