Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2001, 01:18 AM   #1
Ziroc

I don't know whats happening, but today, when I turned the PC On and went to draw in Photoshop, the screen started shifting left and right (1 or 2 pixels movement).(It's not just Photoshop--ANY program or even the windows desktop does this)

I have a fresh install, and latest drivers.. I first thought it may be the Add-on for BG2, because it's doing it in everything since.. I doubt it though.. I DID change refresh rates, and it stopped mostly now, but DAMN.. Life sucks.. Everything breaks at once.. Our cars air is out, Saturn wanted--get this: $1200!!! (500 of it is LABOR!!!!) So we can't have it repaired, and that SUCKS in Florida

I just need to know if anyone else has this happening to them? I hope to god it may be the BG2 addon!

Sorry for ranting folks..

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 06-24-2001, 01:37 AM   #2
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

This probably isn't it, but are you by any chance using a monitor extension cable? Sometimes if you extensions, they can't handle the faster refresh rates and it will give you shadows, bit streams and shakes. If not, my bet would be your video card. Do you have an extra around so you can swap?

BTW, life sucks sometimes doesn't it. When it rains it pours. I was out in Florida about this time last year, and I can't even imagine what it would be like without air conditioning. I really hope things work out for you. I don't know what kind of card you are running, but I got an extra voodoo 3 3000 I am not using. If you want it let me know and it's yours.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 06-24-2001, 03:27 AM   #3
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

well from a tech support point of view,
If you have multiple systems (and i think you do )
try swapping monitors,
try swapping video cards,
and definately remove any monitor extention cables. like milamber said.
also try a different electrical outlet.
try moving the entire system to another room (environmental influences are the most common causes of monitor problems.)
those are a few steps to take. if you swap monitors and the problem follows the monitor then you know what the problem is.
If you still have it. send me an email at work and i'll see what i can dig up for you. if not i'll email you from work.

------------------

Get The IronWorks Winamp skin
Old 06-24-2001, 04:49 PM   #4
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
well from a tech support point of view,
If you have multiple systems (and i think you do )
try swapping monitors,
try swapping video cards,
and definately remove any monitor extention cables. like milamber said.
also try a different electrical outlet.
try moving the entire system to another room (environmental influences are the most common causes of monitor problems.)
those are a few steps to take. if you swap monitors and the problem follows the monitor then you know what the problem is.
If you still have it. send me an email at work and i'll see what i can dig up for you. if not i'll email you from work.
I have another PC, but it a P200 . amd it's only got a voodoo1 in it.. I have another moniter but the cord is messed up, and can't get a picture. SO..

I wish I that monitor worked, I would have done that check.. btw, the monitor isn't near any other magnetic field. but get this--at a refresh rate of 75, it's fine, but at 85 it's messed up. (and my card allows for 100) And it's always been set to 85. It just scared me, because if this moniter went out, I'm screwed. don't have any way to get another..

This happened once before, when I ran a BBS, I had a 14inch moniter (1992-3) and it went out, so I left my BBS up, and went to my friends house to log on to my board to check my board out. I had to do that for 3 weeks!!! until I had the cash to buy a new one! funny stuff..

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 06-24-2001, 05:03 PM   #5
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

did you get my email?
and you can still try the video card just to test.
a voodoo one will work fine its not permanent.

------------------

Old 06-24-2001, 05:04 PM   #6
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

you can also try the monitor self test.
turn off the monitor, then disconnect it from the pc.
then turn on the monitor, you should get the test image, see if it moves there.

------------------

Old 06-24-2001, 05:16 PM   #7
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

This may be a wild idea, but perhaps the monitor can't cope with the refresh rates you want to run it at. A lot of people will upgrade the drivers for almost anything, but ignore monitor drivers. If you are running generic p'n'p drivers for the monitor, it might be worth checking to see if there are specific drivers available.

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 06-24-2001).]
Old 06-24-2001, 05:37 PM   #8
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Summon sledgehammer, use sledgehammer, moniter "fixed". On another note if the moniters dun gone bad I might be able to hook you up with a 15" moniter, only a few months old. The guy who has it ruined his computer and likely has no use for it. He did have a 17" moniter but got mad and threw it in the lake. Go figure.

[This message has been edited by Lord of Alcohol (edited 06-24-2001).]
Old 06-24-2001, 05:43 PM   #9
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
This may be a wild idea, but perhaps the monitor can't cope with the refresh rates you want to run it at. A lot of people will upgrade the drivers for almost anything, but ignore monitor drivers. If you are running generic p'n'p drivers for the monitor, it might be worth checking to see if there are specific drivers available.
I'm using the latest version of viewsonic's monitor drivers.. oh I know about that I'm a tech, and have covered everything I could.. I even checked out the directX 8a install, to see if somehow the dll files were corrupt, and went to nvidia and downloaded their drivers and reinstalled them. (their files have the refresh rate data in them too).

It's stopped for now.. I hope it went away now.

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 06-25-2001, 02:49 AM   #10
Pain-Wrath
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
This probably isn't it, but are you by any chance using a monitor extension cable? Sometimes if you extensions, they can't handle the faster refresh rates and it will give you shadows, bit streams and shakes. If not, my bet would be your video card. Do you have an extra around so you can swap?

BTW, life sucks sometimes doesn't it. When it rains it pours. I was out in Florida about this time last year, and I can't even imagine what it would be like without air conditioning. I really hope things work out for you. I don't know what kind of card you are running, but I got an extra voodoo 3 3000 I am not using. If you want it let me know and it's yours.

I'm not saying VooDoo's are bad, just a waste of money. In case you didn't know, they went out of business... So If it messes up you're shit out of luck. You might as well buy a GeForce3 (same stuff ...Pixar studios uses...or maybe GeForce4...)And if it breaks down, no way to repair it, unless you know how .
Another choice is the MX Prophet II, uses Geforce 2, and is a 64 megs, adds only 8 though..really, they never add as much as they say. Also, it contains some demos