Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2002, 01:44 PM   #1
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

And I don't know WHAT the heck is going on. It installed fine, but when I imported my Final Save from BGI, the characters all imported fine....for everything except their stats. I had to Re-Roll ALL of them, from scratch! Now how the hell am I supposed to re-create my Cleric/Mage, who had LEGAL stats of 6/18/16/19/21/19? Luckily, I was able to find a working version of Shadowkeeper and hack the stats back to where they were supposed to be, bit still....WTF is up with that?

And what's with those butt-ugly Inventory pictures? All my characters look like shriveled little raisins, and my Half-Elf seems to have arms made of toothpicks, stuck together with a dot of hot glue at the elbow. Is this how is looks on YOUR guys' versions?

One final (well, 'final' for this post, anyway) question: Is there a Temple of Tymora, or at least a wandering Priest of Tymora, anywhere in BG2? My True Neutral Berserker is going to Dual to Cleric, and I'm roleplaying him as a Priest of Tymora....and it'd be nice if he could be 'converted.'
Old 01-03-2002, 01:53 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
And I don't know WHAT the heck is going on. It installed fine, but when I imported my Final Save from BGI, the characters all imported fine....for everything except their stats. I had to Re-Roll ALL of them, from scratch! Now how the hell am I supposed to re-create my Cleric/Mage, who had LEGAL stats of 6/18/16/19/21/19? Luckily, I was able to find a working version of Shadowkeeper and hack the stats back to where they were supposed to be, bit still....WTF is up with that?

What actually happened - the stats randomized? Never heard of that happening before...what OS are you using?

quote:
And what's with those butt-ugly Inventory pictures? All my characters look like shriveled little raisins, and my Half-Elf seems to have arms made of toothpicks, stuck together with a dot of hot glue at the elbow. Is this how is looks on YOUR guys' versions?

I can't remember my inventory pics changing and I remember Dave and Kevin saying that this was one of the things that were NOT going to change, due to lack of time. Something may have gone wrong with your installation.

quote:
One final (well, 'final' for this post, anyway) question: Is there a Temple of Tymora, or at least a wandering Priest of Tymora, anywhere in BG2? My True Neutral Berserker is going to Dual to Cleric, and I'm roleplaying him as a Priest of Tymora....and it'd be nice if he could be 'converted.'

Afraid not.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Yeah, Memnoch, that's pretty much what happened--when I brought the characters over, their Race, Gender, and picture were correct, but I had to re-select everything from Class (and Kit) on down--meaning their die rolls were 'forgotten,' and I had to roll them again. Sorry, I'm not gonna sit through that a SECOND time. I just talked to 2 other people who've brought characters from BG1 into BG2, and THEY said that happens every time, because the characters are created using "different dice rules." Meanwhile, every other BG2 info source I've seen says that all my stats will carry over exactly the same, even if they're over 18. Who's right?

The Inventory pictures aren't really all that bad, it's just that they're a lot worse than the paper dolls used in BG1. Why didn't they just keep them? These new ones look like they were tossed in the washing machine, left in a pile on the floor to dry, and put on again without being ironed. Everybody's skinny and the armor looks dumb. At least it's only in the Inventory screen....

Darn.....no Temple of Tymora, huh? Poopie. Maybe a nice posh gambling hall would be a good place to go to Dual him, then. I bet Lady Tymora's used to hearing LOTS of earnest prayers to her from THAT sort of locale.

For you technical folks, I'm running Windows ME on a Duron 700. I doubt that's causing anything--I think it's the game. My friend went back to Malaysia this summer and while he was there, bought some games. Cheap, and therefore almost certainly pirated. The discs look legit, but they came in little plastic sleeves, without box or manual. The game itself seems to PLAY fine, it's just the Character Creation that's screwed up. (My guys also start out with 89,000 EXP, even though I have ToSC installed.)

One more BG2 question: The Thief's Stealth is broken up into HiS and MS, while the Ranger's is not. So my Archer has 78% Stealth....what does that equate to, in Hide in Shadows / Move Silently terms?
Old 01-03-2002, 10:29 PM   #4
The Dark

Can't you just copy your characters from your BG1 char' folder and paste them into your BG2 char' folder? Then you should be able to import them at the start of a new game. Alternatively just "export" your char's manually from BG1 using the export button in the stat's menu as opposed to exporting them via the "Final Save". (My char's never got exported via the final save either....maybe there's a bug there.)
Old 01-04-2002, 03:24 AM   #5
Whailor

That's something weird.. I have imported the BG1 chars (BG1 + TotSC actually) quite many times and have absolutely no issues whatsoever. Stats are all OK, paperdolls are OK, all is OK. I have had many stats over 18 (ok, 3 for a fighter, the STR, CON and DEX) and have had no problems. Seems that it's something related to your installation. Or something else, beats me what really...
Old 01-04-2002, 04:01 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

My bad...I thought you were installing ToB over BG2.

The paper dolls do look a lot worse in BG2 than in BG1. You get used to them pretty quickly.

With respect to final saves, how are you importing? You can only import your character, not NPCs. Copy all your BG1 savegame files to your BG2 Savegame folder and then load up the final save there. You'll lose all your gear, but your stats should be all ok.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 12:55 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I tried both tactics; copying the Final-Save file into the BG2 directory, and also doing the same with individual exported *.CHR files. The Final-Save was all my own characters, so I should have been able to keep everything, but.....

I'll try it again today & let you know exactly what happens.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:44 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Yep. Whenever I bring any file from my BG1 directory to the appropriate BG2 directory, the game dumps all the stats. Race, class, gender, and picture are all there, but I have to reroll all the stats from scratch, whether I'm working with exported CHR files or a saved game.

Thank God for Shadowkeeper.

Now, I'm curious: Some folks say this is the way their game does it, too--other folks swear BG2 is supposed to copy the stats EXACTLY as they were, even if you had a 21 for Wisdom. Let's take a poll: How many other people on this board have versions that randomize the stats?