Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2002, 02:46 PM   #1
MagiK

Well, Hey theres a thread about how bad America is...so I thought It would be ok to post this poll result too

Reagan is 'greatest living American'
By Jennifer Harper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Gipper still rocks. Top Stories
• U.S. set to cite Iraq for breach
• Bush scoffs at U.N. over 'cooperation'
• INS lacks proper checks on aliens
• U.N. team sets trap in Baghdad
• Religion linked to positive outlook in teenagers
• Failure of radios disrupts firefighters
• No calm before storm for the weathermen

Ronald Reagan topped the "greatest living American" list in a new Esquire magazine survey released this week.
The eclectic "Survey of the American Male," featured in the January 2003 issue, plumbed the depths of about 1,900 men to reveal traditional underpinnings and political paradoxes, among other things.
Indeed, former President Reagan was voted top dog, followed by former President Jimmy Carter, Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, "my dad" and finally former President Bill Clinton, respectively.
Mr. Clinton headed the list of "most loathsome living American" as well.
Politics, however, did not prove compelling for some respondents. No one in particular led a theoretical Democratic pool of White House candidates: Eighteen percent had "no opinion" when asked which Democrat would make a strong candidate for president in 2004.
Thirteen percent opted for Al Gore, followed by Sens. Tom Daschle of South Dakota and John Kerry of Massachusetts.
Meanwhile, 55 percent knew that Paul Wolfowitz is deputy secretary at the Defense Department. But almost a third — 30 percent — thought he was chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission and 9 percent theorized he was the talent agent behind the musical group 'NSync.
Another 6 percent responded Mr. Wolfowitz was "starting left fielder for the Colorado Rockies."
President Bush received mixed reviews in the survey. Forty-three percent said he was "in charge" of his administration, 47 percent said he was not. Mr. Bush appeared on a list for most respected presidents — but also led the list for most "overrated living American," which placed Mr. Clinton in second place.
Esquire magazine, which has a 700,000 circulation, does not claim its survey to be "a scientifically random sample of the population," according to Scott Quill, who compiled the list.
It is "a snapshot of the American male, circa 2002," he said.
Snapshot or not, some old-fashioned values emerged, and some optimism, too.
Among married men, 84 percent of the respondents said they loved their wife now as much as they did within a year of their wedding day. In the "sexiest woman in America" category, "my wife" was in first place, beating Julia Roberts, Britney Spears, Halle Berry and Jennifer Lopez.
Eighty-seven percent of respondents said they were happy, though only 22 percent said they had become "what they wanted to be when growing up."
Financially speaking, 23 percent of the respondents said the Dow Jones stock average would hit 15,000 in the next two years. Another 21 percent said it would reach that level by 2007.
More than three-quarters of those polled said they believed in God, though most were derelict in attending church.
Only 15 percent said they attended once a week, 11 percent went once a month, 29 percent attended less than once a month and 30 percent said they didn't go to church or temple at all "because I don't belong to one."
As for childhood behavior, most respondents said they were not bullies.
Only 4 percent said they had been bullies, while 27 percent said they had been bullied. Thirteen percent said they had bullied and been bullied in turn, and 57 percent said they were not bullies and never had been bullied.

Old 12-05-2002, 02:48 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I'm just glad he isn't named best American actor of all times.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:49 PM   #3
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Question Mark

Cool! Congratulations President Reagan!

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 12-05-2002, 02:49 PM   #4
MagiK

Total agreement there Johnny!

Old 12-05-2002, 02:51 PM   #5
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Mr. Clinton headed the list of "most loathsome living American" as well.
[img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] What! Why didn't someone tell me that Alec Baldwin had died?
Old 12-05-2002, 03:06 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I really like Reagan and think it's so sad he can't remember who he is or what he's done. I saw the history channel retrospective on Reagan a few weeks ago, and it was really interesting!

I especially liked a story told by his son. Reagan had only been president a few hours when he and the family were getting ready for a social function. Ron, Jr. saw the president, over his shoulder, looking in the mirror and adjusting his tie. Ron, Jr. noted the smile on his dad's face and the twinkle in his eye and his obvious pride. At that moment, Reagan turned around, smiled at the family, jumped up, clicked his heels together, and laughingly said, "I'm President of the United States!" I've often wondered if Presidents didn't feel that way after being elected.

A shocking part was how seriously injured he was by the assasination attempt in '81. I remember the whole time hearing how minor it was, but this was the first I'd heard of how life threatening the staph(sp?) infection he caught was. They really thought he might die.

Anyway, I think that survey is right on target with Reagan as the greatest living American. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 12-05-2002, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 12-14-2002, 08:45 AM   #7
Eisenschwarz

F**k Me,
There were more Reagan Administration officials in prison, under criminal investigation, on probation, or on parole during Ronnie's tenure, than in any other Presidency in history.

Raygun complained to the very same Washington Times that a Soviet "disinformation campaign" has made anti-Communism in the US "unfashionable." He speaks nostalgically of the good old days when Sen. Joseph McCarthy and the House Un-American Activities Committee would investigate suspected subversives. "They've done away with those committees," says the President. "That shows the success of what the Soviets were able to do in this country."

What about his secret Illegal war in Nicaragua?
Ronnie Raygun Subverted democracy in order to create a secret organisation to wage war in Nicaragua that Killed thousands of innocent people,
He should be held responsible for the deaths he caused.

He got into politics by acting as an informent for the FBI in Hollywood during the period of anti-Communism in the 50 & 60's.
McCarthy in washington.
Reagan in hollywood. /

+ He along with felon William Casey Illegally Organised to have a delayed release of the American hostages in Iran so as to help defeat President Carter in the 1980 Presidential election.

He was caught out lying about this too, and what happened to this criminal?
Nothing. The republicans lied and lied and lied to cover up his crimes.

President Reagan told reporters that the Soviet bugging of the US embassy in Moscow was "outrageous". When asked about the US bugging of the Soviet embassy in Washington, the President says further discussion "wouldn't be useful."
So he's a hypocrite as well.

That he has been voted Greatest living American is a very telling reflection on America today )

That so many people can just forget the Iran-Contra affair...

...The Iran-contra committee's final report says President Reagan bears ultimate responsibility for the scandal because he failed to carry out his oath to "take care that the laws be faithfully executed.

So we have people endorseing a president who negelected his duties of that office. (

[ 12-14-2002, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Eisenschwarz ]

Old 12-14-2002, 08:53 AM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Now tell us truthfully Eisen, what do you think about him....
Old 12-14-2002, 09:05 AM   #9
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Now tell us truthfully Eisen, what do you think about him....
He is a criminal, a violator of human rights, Directly Responsible for the deaths of innocents
Evil is Evil, The dead will always remain Dead.
I mean, Look at him:

As governor of California, he consistently opposed civil rights laws, as well as open housing. When blacks sought to move into white neighborhoods, Reagan told realtors that blacks were really out “only to cause trouble.”

He denounced Martin Luther King Jr. as a troublesome “near-communist.”

In 1970, when the National Guard murdered four unarmed students during a Vietnam protest at Kent State University in Ohio, Reagan deemed the action “justifiable homicide.”

Under the rationale of fighting “world communism,” the United States under Reagan sponsored regimes whose sheer hideousness and brutality rivals the Nazis.

In Guatemala, for instance, the U.S.-backed army slaughtered more than 200,000 people — including genocide against the Mayan Indians — for their “leftist” sympathies.

In Nicaragua, Reagan’s “freedom fighters,” the Contras, were unleashed in a terror campaign of rape, torture and slaughter of civilians to topple the Nicaraguan government. Reagan defended this fascist military group as the “moral equals of our Founding Fathers.”

He belongs in the same pantheon as Pinochet, Salazar, Franco and so many others.
If you think Raygun was good, You think Massacre, Genocide, torture and human rights violation is good.

[ 12-14-2002, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Eisenschwarz ]

Old 12-14-2002, 09:09 AM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eisenschwarz:
F**k Me,
There were more Reagan Administration officials in prison, under criminal investigation, on probation, or on parole during Ronnie's tenure, than in any other Presidency in history.

And your proof of this? The data?

Raygun complained to the very same Washington Times that a Soviet "disinformation campaign" has made anti-Communism in the US "unfashionable." He speaks nostalgically of the good old days when Sen. Joseph McCarthy and the House Un-American Activities Committee would investigate suspected subversives. "They've done away with those committees," says the President. "That shows the success of what the Soviets were able to do in this country."

Show me the quote were Reagan said he was in favor of the McCarthy hearings.

What about his secret Illegal war in Nicaragua?
Ronnie Raygun Subverted democracy in order to create a secret organisation to wage war in Nicaragua that Killed thousands of innocent people,
He should be held responsible for the deaths he caused.

Since he doesn't remember that he was president it may be hard to punish him, but maybe we could just start with the huge list of Americans you'd like to see punished instead?

He got into politics by acting as an informent for the FBI in Hollywood during the period of anti-Communism in the 50 & 60's.
McCarthy in washington.
Reagan in hollywood. [img]redface.gif[/img] /

Proof?

+ He along with felon William Casey Illegally Organised to have a delayed release of the American hostages in Iran so as to help defeat President Carter in the 1980 Presidential election.

He was caught out lying about this too, and what happened to this criminal?
Nothing. The republicans lied and lied and lied to cover up his crimes.

Yeah, right! Thanks for pointing out that conspiracy theory.

President Reagan told reporters that the Soviet bugging of the US embassy in Moscow was "outrageous". When asked about the US bugging of the Soviet embassy in Washington, the President says further discussion "wouldn't be useful."
So he's a hypocrite as well.

Sounds good to me.

That he has been voted Greatest living American is a very telling reflection on America today [img]redface.gif[/img] )

Yes, I think it is.

That so many people can just forget the Iran-Contra affair...

...The Iran-contra committee's final report says President Reagan bears ultimate responsibility for the scandal because he failed to carry out his oath to "take care that the laws be faithfully executed.

So we have people endorseing a president who negelected his duties of that office. [img]redface.gif[/img] (

A president that accepted full responsibility for the actions of those serving under him.
Dramnek, keep posting all your conspiracy theories and America-hate. It helps me to remember that I'm on the right side.

[ 12-14-2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]