Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2002, 08:21 PM   #1
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I want your views on what we should do with the overpopulation of India and China and other countries. This is a discussion, no getting mad at someones opinion! But you can argue.

I think that we should move some to Russia and Canada. Or set a law so noone can have babies for like 5 or 10 years.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:38 PM   #2
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

IMHO I think if you can SUPPORT and FEED them , then you should be able to have as many children as you want. If you can do neither than you should be a responsible adult and not bring another useless mouth into the world. I have to wonder what goes through the mind of some of thoes people. It must be something like " Hey Mildred , I know we live in squallor and are slowly starving to death ,BUT how 'bout we do the hibbidy dibbidy?" I also think that countries with a huge overpopulation problem should do something about it BEFORE they go and beg the rest of the world for hand outs. Remember , if you give a man a fish you feed him for a day , but if you teach him to fish you feed him for life. If thousands of people are starving in your countrie then maybe , just maybe ,you should worry more about feeding them and less about nuclear weapons. THen again I am also a big fan of personal responsibility , ie: if you live in a big friggin desert and cant grow food , gather what little food you can find and MOVE TO WHERE THE FOOD IS !!!
Then again , I could be all wrong. Maybe the people actualy like living in thoes conditions and enjoy living close enough together to sniff each others farts. Hey at least they will never be lonely.

[ 05-28-2002, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: The Hunter of Jahanna ]
Old 05-28-2002, 08:42 PM   #3
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Not only does it create a bad situation for the parents of 10 kids if they are poor but how selfish are the parents to bring kids in the world that they know they cant support.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:45 PM   #4
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
Not only does it create a bad situation for the parents of 10 kids if they are poor but how selfish are the parents to bring kids in the world that they know they cant support.
thats true. but they could send them for adoption.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:51 PM   #5
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Wouldn't it be easier if they just did not create them in the first place?
Old 05-28-2002, 08:53 PM   #6
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier if they just did not create them in the first place?
Create what? Children? yes....
Old 05-28-2002, 08:53 PM   #7
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
quote:
thats true. but they could send them for adoption.[/QUOTE]So we can over-populate our own countries?
Old 05-28-2002, 10:48 PM   #8
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

I understand the bit about teaching a man to fish, you feed him for life. The problem with that becomes OVERfishing. You decimate the fish population to the point where it will take centuries to get the populations back to where they were. With the amount of people living in China and India there arent enough fish in their territorial waters to feed everyone in their nations. So they fish outside of the territorial waters and now effect a much larger ecosphere. Japan is having porblems like this right now.

In China they have laws saying that families may only have ONE kid. Clothes hanger abortions are not uncommon. And neither is dumping the newborn in a gutter. They have actual prison terms for people that have more than one child. I believe its 20 years.

In India and many other nations birth control is against their religion. Ethiopia is a prime example of where birth control would help curb the severity of the problems if not alleviate them altogether.

No its not my fault the kids and parents in Ethiopia are starving. And no I dont feel sorry for them. I refuse to make donations to people who refuse to help themselves. Want to help these people out??? Buy them a box of condoms. Then go through the difficult task of actually getting them to use them. Again, Its against their religion.

Give em the Pill, condoms, vasectomies, tie the tubes or remove them altogether. Other than that starvation is natures way of thinning out the population so that it fits the food supply.

Do not ship these people to Canada or Russia. That would be unfair to the people of Canada and Russia. They shouldnt have to deal with someone elses problems. Then theres the fact that Canada and Russia would be faced with the exact same problems in a few years time.

Ever heard the expressions "You made your bed now lie in it, and You dug yourself into a hole now dig yourself out of it"???
Old 05-28-2002, 11:08 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
chinese are allowed 1 child per family, so overpopulation will not be created by them the coming years.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:21 AM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
I want your views on what we should do with the overpopulation of India and China and other countries.
We? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] We?

"We" shouldn't really do a darned thing. For cultural/religious reasons those countries have placed themselves in that position; it is not our place to "fix" it for them.
Sending money and food isn't really the answer, either; there have been too many cases of money and food being diverted for selfish reasons or for resale on the grey/black markets. Only education will help them out of a bad situation.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.