Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2001, 11:38 AM   #81
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Isn't it ironic that the poor & unemployed vote Democrat and when the Democrat's make these poor & unemployed, rich and prosperous they turn around and vote Republican

------------------
Old 03-11-2001, 11:44 AM   #82
Moiraine
Anubis

Here, Moridin, we have the same phenomenon in France (the rough equivalent in France of your Republicains and Democrats are called here 'the right' and 'the left', in the same order).

------------------
Old 03-11-2001, 12:48 PM   #83
Donut
Jack Burton

I find this whole thread very distressing and worrying. Talk of mass political assasinations, vote rigging and political corruption. It make the world's greatest democracy sound as democratic as a third world country. Most of this was not reported in our liberal press.

How can the rest of us continue to look up to the United States when we hear of this sort of chicanery. Can't the United Nations do something to ensure free and democratic elections? (we're certainly paying them enough).

I'm also very disappointed to hear that Americans only care about themselves. I might be naive but they have always turned up to help us to solve our problems.

I, for one, will sleep a little less safely in my bed tonight.

------------------
The Truth is in the Profile
Old 03-11-2001, 12:50 PM   #84
Vicotnik
Zhentarim Guard

Very true indeed, I don't think we should be mixing politics with our conversations here because they can indeed bring out very unpleasant sides of people, we don't need low morale here do we?

------------------
Vicotnik, archmage of the Holy Flame - Challenge me... and die.
Old 03-11-2001, 12:55 PM   #85
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Donut, No, wait! I don't think we are entirely self-centered! Heavens! Guess it sounds like it, doesn't it?! When I say I am proud to be an American, well there are lots of reasons for that, too! We've done our share of good deeds and made promises we've kept, so rest less uneasily, please! Altruism, human compassion and responsibilty ARE still alive and well here, just buried under the dirty laundry sometimes! Ok, vote me into office... (I suspect the world is not ready for that!)

See why political discussions give me a headache? Thanks for posting to Cloudy's Corner, btw! You may want to check back...hehehe

CB
Old 03-11-2001, 01:07 PM   #86
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I didn't mean that we were going to turn isolationist over night. That won't happen. Rest easy. But us being all the worlds policeman is not an easy thought over here. As far as the UN stepping in and over seeing our election. I can tell that that would be a total disaster. There is a segment of our country that views the UN as the Great Satan of all Satans. I think that would make Okalahoma City look like a tea party. I DON'T SUPPORT THAT SORT OF THING! LET ME MAKE THAT PERFECTLY CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just telling you what I think would happen. We have our share of nuts too, just like everyone else. Are you all beginning to see us as
less than perfect yet.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

Ten Rings there are, and nine gold torcs on the battlechiefs of old...
Old 03-11-2001, 01:46 PM   #87
Moiraine
Anubis

I think that discussing politics here on the Board can stay safe as long as we all don't forget to allow for very real cultural differences between people living in such a wide range of countries. And it gives us the chance to get an insight into other people's view on their own internal politics, without the usual filter of media. I for once have found very interesting reading what you American people really think about your own country and leaders.

------------------
Old 03-11-2001, 01:53 PM   #88
Donut
Jack Burton

Ah Moraine, as the great poet Rabbie Burns once said

'don de nous voir tels que les autres nous voient' (pardon my French)

------------------
Old 03-11-2001, 02:08 PM   #89
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
I think that discussing politics here on the Board can stay safe as long as we all don't forget to allow for very real cultural differences between people living in such a wide range of countries. And it gives us the chance to get an insight into other people's view on their own internal politics, without the usual filter of media. I for once have found very interesting reading what you American people really think about your own country and leaders.
Moiraine, I love it when you post. So reasonable and open-minded at the same time. I agree, that it's interesting to see how people view their own countries and systems. I like to hope that we will all remember (in the heat of 'discussion') that we ARE very different on many cultural levels AND on personal levels. Each individual has his her own perspective, forged in part by their nature, their upbringing and the culture they are part of. That diversity is one of the things I like best about this board.

JJ- Sorry if I sounded like I thought the thread was bad idea altogether. I really just hate to see misunderstandings due to cultural differences get left untended. Seems like we're back on an even keel. So CloudyPeaceMaker will back off!

Donut, Pastry of my heart! Hey, some of us don't speaky thuh French...translate to be doing for me puhlease!

CB
Old 03-11-2001, 02:19 PM   #90
Donut
Jack Burton

Cloudy - Perhaps the original Scots' dialect would help.

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us, To see oursels as ithers see us!"

Er, that's what it was meant to say!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Donut (edited 03-11-2001).]